AT&T discount: When activating your 3G/3Gs, did you have to enter the FAN#?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uricmu, Jun 26, 2009.

1. uricmu macrumors member

The upgrade site for my current AT&T phone (not an iPhone) shows that if I get a 3Gs, I will be able to keep my service discount.

If I upgrade and buy the phone via the AT&T site, and do the activation via iTunes, do I have to reenter the FAN number or does it get the discount sorted at AT&T by itself?

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My FAN discount remained on my account through the process of upgrading to the 3G S.

3. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, you do not need to re-enter your FAN account number and there is now way for you to actually enter it. If it is currently showing when you log into OLAM and the Premier Store, it will not change just because you purchase an iPhone.

Your FAN is tied to your account, not your phone or even your lines contract.

Dave

4. uricmu thread starter macrumors member

What if I buy through the apple store (and use my $50 credit)? How would the instore or home activation work in that case? I already have an AT&T phone that is out of contract.

5. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Most FAN accounts waive activation fees.

6. uricmu thread starter macrumors member

I meant whether if I go and buy the phone at the Apple store, they reactivate my line as premier, or do I have to go and give them the FAN number and all that stuff.

I'd rather buy from Apple, but I feel like with AT&T I'm more likely to keep my discount with minimal hassle (e.g., having to reassociate the discount with the account)

7. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

If you buy at the Apple Store you gotta remove your discount off of your account then replace it after you activated the new iPhone.

You don't have to do this with AT&T but they will make you wait for your phone because they don't stock them at their stores, you gotta put in a direct fulfillment order and wait a week or 2.

8. dave006 macrumors 68020

You just go to the Apple store and purchase. Your contract term expired and then you were converted to a month to month "contract". So this means that if you purchase at Apple and activate in-store or at home you are still using your AT&T Account and your FAN is still applied to your Account. There is no change to your account or line other then the fact that you have signed a new two year service commitment. ;)

This is completely wrong for 99.99% of the AT&T customer base. There are only two very small groups that will have an issue at any non-AT&T retail location. Specifice SMB Customers and a very select group of Enterprise Customers.

The issue with FANs on accounts was an issue last year with Apple's POS system not being able to access account data for any customer that had any type of "Business" Discount aka National Account Discount (NAD aka an account with a Foundation Account Number (FAN) attached.

Dave