AT&T doesn't seem like a terrible deal, am I wrong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dagdagdag234, Oct 11, 2013.

1. dagdagdag234 macrumors regular

I'm a little confused why people seem so enamored with Tmobile's plans. I pay $165 on Att for two iPhone 5 shared data plans (4gb) which is pretty much used up every month (I use most of it. (This is with all the taxes and service charges etc)

It seems Tmobile offers the same plan for $70 per person, not including the taxes and service charges so that would put us at least $140, probably closer to $150.

So I'm paying an extra $15 a month for what I hear is a much better, faster more comprehensive 4g network.

Seems worth it to me.

Okay, I admit in terrible at math and maybe am overlooking other factors, so let me have it. Tell me why I'm insane or just wrong. I'm very curious to hear. Thanks.

2. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

you just misunderstood the tmobile pricing plan.

Tmobile's unlimited data plan is $70/month. Add another line and its $30 additional, so $100/month + tax ~$110 a month.

That's about $55 cheaper than a 4GB AT&T plan. 4GB is far less than the "unlimited" you get on Tmobile, which is truly unlimited and no throttling. The only limited thing is 2.5gb of mobile hotspot.
    This doesn't count the free unlimited texting while roaming overseas and the free 2G data (which may or may not be worthless depending on the person)

While AT&T has a more comprehensive network and probably faster, it is also a lot more expensive. I just switched to Tmo from ATT, and i live in a city where Tmo has LTE coverage and AT&T doesnt.

3. bniu macrumors 6502a

AT&T's offerings are fine with me. In fact, I ended up saving a bit of money with the Data Share plan.

My old setup was 3 smartphones, one with 5GB data plan because I needed tethering $50, two 200MB data plans $15x2, iPad data plan 3GB $30, unlimited texting $30, 700 minutes for 3 lines $80, added up to $220/month.

With datashare 6GB, I'm paying $90 + 105 + 10 => $205 and now the rest of my family gets tethering (for the odd time they may end up needing it), my tablet gains tethering, and the rest of my family can use data without worrying about hitting the low 200MB threshold. I only use about 3GB a month, but need tethering, so now we actually have a higher utilization of the data we pay for as well.

To move up to 10GB would be another $15, $30 plan increase - $15 line access savings.

As much as people may complain about AT&T, I find them to do a decent job. I get good reception at home, super fast LTE in 90% of the places I am, and fast 4G HSPA+ to fall back on when I need to. For the most part, I pay my bill, they stay out of my way, I rarely talk to them at all. I'm not planning on going anywhere, so I just view the subsidized rates as nice new phones at good deals every 2 years. The 2 year contract doesn't bother me as I'm not planning on going anywhere. Plus, if I really needed to leave the country for a great opportunity overseas, a couple hundred in ETF is going to be the least of my concerns.

The mobile share plans are way way way easier for me as my family's line administrator to deal with. I don't have to be constantly checking up on seeing if the other lines are running up against their data limits, I don't have to even think about minutes and texts, usually each month, I just do a cursory glance at my bill and that's it. I've got more important things in my life to worry about than my cell phone bill.

I don't care what TMobile offers, their network isn't as reliable in my experience. AT&T does a fine job and I'm happy with what I'm paying right now. Sure I may save a few bucks with TMobile, but why switch if I'm happy? My cell phone is my primary line and I'm happy with my current situation.

4. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

Gosh, that's why I asked. That does sound better. I guess in October I will seriously think about switching

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

When I had two smartphones on a shared Sprint plan with unlimited data, I was paying less than $120 per month.

It's all about what works for your area, though. I had great service on Sprint's network where I lived.

6. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

what you should do is buy a prepaid sim online just google tmobile prepaid and order a starter kit. when you get it, activate it online and choose the $30/month 5GB data unlimited text 100min talk plan and try out service in your area. That's what i did.

7. dagdagdag234 thread starter macrumors regular

I guess you have to consider that you're buying tmobile iphone unsubsidized, so basically thats another "$20 per month" that essentially you've paid upfront.

Still that's about $35 less a month for tmobile or $840 over the course of 2 years. Not too shabby

8. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

Yup. When you fufill your contract on AT&T, the phone bill doesn't drop. When you pay off your phone on Tmobile, your bill drops.

Ive decided to buy all my future phones unsubsidized anyways. Factory unlocked right out of the box has its benefits. I travel a lot so that's just me. Its hilarious a few days after i ported, AT&T sent me a coupon begging me to come back and it was for $100 off any new phone in an AT&T retail store. haha.