AT&T dropped my Unlimited Data...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by karsal, Sep 23, 2012.

1. karsal macrumors member

Around 8:30PM yesterday, I used my phone, LTE was working fine, everything was ok. At around 11:30, I notice there is no data on my phone, no 4G no LTE. I check my e-mail and notice at 8:35pm I got an e-mail from Apple saying "we encountered an error with your AT&T account while activating your iPhone" and an e-mail from AT&T saying "Your e-mail address has been changed."

I called AT&T to inquire and the rep tells me whoever was trying to credit my activation fee "accidentally" removed unlimited data. They don't have the authority to put unlimited data back on, they'd have to open a case which will be resolved by October 2nd, so 10 days later.

They offered to add a limited data plan to my line while the case is being resolved and once unlimited data is back on, I won't be charged any extras for their mishap. I made them send me an e-mail stating everything they said verbally.

Has this happened to anyone? Am I getting screwed? I have a feeling they're gonna come back and say "we can't re-activate unlimited data on your account," in which case Sprint here I come...

2. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

Wow that sucks. I've heard of this happening before. I've also heard from apple that companies such was Walmart, best buy, etc.. Seem to make money if they change your plan. Where did you buy then activate your iPhone 5 through?

3. karsal thread starter macrumors member

Bought through Apple and activated via AT&T, the activation went fine and I made sure they didn't touch the unlimited data, everything was fine until last night!

4. MittsTaxreturn macrumors newbie

upgraded thru the apple store, AT&T didnt touch my unlimited plan. and that was for 3 different lines. well they did touch it, but it was only to upgrade it to an unlimited LTE data plan. maybe an isolated incident?

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

This is all standard procedure for AT&T. I had a rep accidentally move me off my unlimited account and they had to do the same thing. These reps no longer can put yo back to unlimited. It takes someone higher up that reads all the notes and only THEN is it changed back. AT&T is serious. No need they will change you back in a few days. No biggie.

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Don't buy into everything you read. I WILLINGLY GAVE UP MY UNLIMITED PLAN and got it back. I just made up a foolish story and then got the personal number of someone high up. Had it added back on in about 2 days.

7. TRSmudge macrumors newbie

Verizon just changed my plan to 2GB from unlimited. I received a email that there was a feature change. I called them and they said they couldn't tell that I paid Full Price on the Apple website so that's why it was changed. They did change it back for me.

8. karsal thread starter macrumors member

I'm hoping that's the case - the only thing worrying me is having to wait 10 days for the changes to take effect. The rep did tell me that "if you aren't eligible to have unlimited data re-activated, the system would not allow for a case to be opened" so it's almost guaranteed the data plan will be put back on. Fingers crossed

9. xanderlee macrumors newbie

I am having the same issue as well, just waiting on AT&T to put it back. They were all very nice about it and even credited me $25 for the inconvenience which I tried to decline (reall wasnt looking for anything) but they were insistent. Here's to hoping they actually come through in the next couple of days.

10. karsal thread starter macrumors member

Did they give you the October 2nd expected resolution date too?

11. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Worry about other things as this is a given. It has happened to me twice and takes about 7 days or less. Unless YOU did something to move off your plan, you have no worries.

Just enjoy your phone!:)

12. xanderlee, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

xanderlee macrumors newbie

No, the rep I spoke with indicated that they expected it would be fixed yesterday. I'm still seeing that I'm on the temporary 3GB plan for now though. Figured I'd give them a few days before I bother them again, though.

Hope they get it fixed soon, though. I've already used nearly a gig apparently. LTE really does make me use more data. Whoa.

13. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

Wow, AT&T just dropped my unlimited plan as well after I got my iPhone 5, calling them now because I never authorized the 3 GB plan.

Doesn't make sense to pay $30 for 3 gigs. When I was paying $30 for nlimited.

Did they change it back for others.