AT&T early upgrade waiver

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ziyonim58, Oct 21, 2011.

1. ziyonim58 macrumors newbie

I got my iPhone 4 at launch day, July XX, 2010. Up until a day before launch day (last Friday), AT&T wanted the early upgrade fee ($250). Called them on Saturday and compalined. They said they will get back to me on Monday. Out of curiosity, checked again the web site about 5 minutes after the call, it showed the $250 waived. Needless to say, I ran to the Apple store and got my iPhone 4S.

Anyone else with iPhone 4 launch day got their $250 waived?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm due for an upgrade on 12/3 and I'm tempted to call and try and get my date changed.

3. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

good luck with that. I was due 11/17 and could not get them to move. I ultimately had to use an upgrade from another line.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I have an order for the 4S on another line of mine as well. If that fails then I will more than likely just wait it out. 12/3 will be here before I know it anyhow and Apple stores should have nice stock by then anyhow.

5. ziyonim58 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys are missing my point. For some reason, AT&T dropped the $250 early upgrade following my complaint call. Anyone else got the same thing? Remember, I am a lauch day iPhone 4.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

They refused to do that when I asked. I was also launch day iPhone 4 customer.

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

They wouldn't budge for me at all. I'm also a launch day buyer which had to use another line. But at least I will have the upgrade now in december when the iPhone 5 comes out;)

At&t also said that they aren't in control of the early upgrade with the iPhone and that apple was???

8. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I also purchased my iPhone 4 on launch day AND payed $200 for an early upgrade. I called them for 6 days straight and the system never changed (11/25 date). I was authorized for a 'pre-order' at upgrade pricing, but of course still no phone. My phone is backordered with no promised ship date. My iPhone 4's home button is behaving, for now.

So I have no idea how your date was moved.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just because they did it for you it doesnt mean they will do it for everyone.

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

You got lucky and good for you...but what right did you have to complain in the first place? You signed a two year contract on July 2010, and complained you wanted to get out of that one early to sign a new one?

11. motty2307 macrumors regular

My upgrade date is 11/21 and I also got my iPhone 4 on launch day. I figure I'll just wait a couple of weeks instead of trying to haggle. I am curious though. You said you called and complained. What did you complain about that caused them to allow the early upgrade? Also, what date were you able to upgrade originally before you called and complained?

12. interrobang macrumors 6502

No reason you shouldn't ask daddy for a pony. The worst he can do is laugh at you and say "no." ;)

Does the OP have any idea why ATT would be trying to keep you? Had you been with ATT a long time before July '10? Do you have a plan with lots of extra-cost features? Are you in charge of your company's account? Are you Ralph de la Vega's nephew?

13. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

From my understanding, AT&T reps can only move up your date 30 days. If you're due on Dec 15th, they can move it to Nov 15th.

14. ziyonim58 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are correct. My original upgrade date was Nov 15th and they moved it to Oct 15.

15. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

this really pisses me off. they won't do **** for me and i'm mad because the day before the preorder my date was 11/30 and i was fine waiting til november, but no i check a few days later and its moved til 2/28. multiple calls and store visits and i get a bunch of different answers excuses and that they "literally" "physically" can't do anything about it. i was offered a $45 credit. whooptyfriggindo. i just want my nov upgrade date back!! and i've been more than pleasant on the phone. i'm just venting now :)

16. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

I also was quoted 30 days. For me that would be Tuesday the 25th, but there is always a possibility that my 'pre-order' will ship before then. Fingers crossed.

17. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I bought on launch day as well. My upgrade is 11/30 I am not even sure if I am going to upgrade to the 4S though. I may just because my girls captivate is about to fall apart so I may just give her my iphone 4.

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

This used to be the policy. The new official policy is that they can only move it to the beginning of the same month. That is, if your date is 11/30 or 11/10, they will move it to 11/1.

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Actually, I talked to customer service and they are still quoting the 30 days, BUT when I went to the store, the store said they could only go to the beginning of the same month. So it may be that 611 has more options than the store.

20. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

They didn't "waive" my upgrade fee, but they did give me a 250 credit immediately to my bill, before I bought @549.00.

Same thing basically.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice.
    How do you guys do that.
    Im not a fan of complaining to companies like that were in reality I have no right expecting a full upgrade whenever I feel like it cause I did sign a 2 year agreement.
    What do you guys say to get them to change your upgrade or credit you money like that.
    I figured they will just explain you how the upgrade process works and when you signed a contract and when your line will be eligible and then say good bye.

22. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I bought a 32 gig 3GS 5 weeks before the iPhone 4 came out and ATT still wants $549 for an upgrade. They just lost a purchase, because I bought a 4 off ebay and I won't be getting a 4S at all. Worked out real good for them. :p

23. shanmugam macrumors 68020

shanmugam

1 million iPhone 4S activation

do not think ATT needs to be flexible, i had couple of talk with them to reduce some of bill they did helped out but not a lot

i still have one more year of contract go

it is up to verizon and sprint to up their game to increase the iPhone activation or bring the current iPhone customers from ATT to their network.

at the end, ATT and Apple agreement worked out - think about it.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're still on a contract with AT&T with an ETF to leave. They'll be getting a lot more money from the service and data plan than they would have from the phone, even at the early upgrade price.

(speaking generally below, not directed to any individual)

I strongly suspect that retentions has a view of some sort of customer value metric and use that to decide on any retention incentives or credits. A key rule in business is not every customer is one you want to keep.

For example, someone who never calls customer svc, uses relatively few minutes, pays their bill early every month, etc. is likely to show as a greater "value" to AT&T than someone who uses a lot of CS time and has an unlimited mobile+mobile2any-mobile and burns through thousands of texts and 3000 free minutes minutes a month.

25. calvy macrumors 65816

I was eligible for upgrade Nov 10th but got the in store AT&T rep to sell me a 4S at upgrade price on Oct 16th. I was told since it was less than 30 says "no problem".

This was a corporate owned store and not a 3rd part AT&T reseller.

YMMV