AT&T - "eligible" vs. "off-contract?"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pk7, Jul 16, 2013.

1. pk7, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

pk7 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I just tried to get my iPhone 4S unlocked via AT&T's online help and their unlock form. I did hit a snag but I have honestly never heard of this issue.

When I chatted with the AT&T rep, she told me that my 4S, which was purchased on December 9, 2011, was "eligible for an upgrade as of July 10" but that the system won't allow an unlock because I am technically still "under contract" until December 9, 2013 -- exactly two years after. She also said that the system is especially stringent when it comes to making exceptions for iPhones.

My family is flying to India for personal reasons come August, and having my iPhone unlocked would be very useful. We all assumed that "eligible" meant off-contract and unlockable, but clearly we were wrong.

Has anybody else experienced this issue, and is it worth it to keep trying to get an unlock from AT&T? I have heard of success stories of people who actually call customer support and have exceptions made for them in cases of travel.

Thanks!

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If you're still under contract, just go to swiftunlocks and pay for the unlock. Not worth the headache with AT&T. They cough up Android unlocks in seconds, but iPhones are a PITA

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    Just pay the $2 and avoid the whole thing.

4. chumawumba macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Thats funny I thought At&t stopped 20 month upgrades.

5. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I just sent in the online forum for my iphone 5 that was only about 5 months into the contract, and they unlocked it for me. How long have you been an customer? I have been with AT&T for a long time, so that might have something to do with it.

Oh and advice. I would submit the online forum not talk to anyone else. See if they let you that way. If not get on the phone and just keep asking. If the person says no then ask to speak to someone above. Keep it up they should be able to he that done.

6. iDominic macrumors member

iDominic

They did, but they had a certain cut off date where if you bought your phone before whenever, you were allowed to keep your upgrade date.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

8. aimee.elizabeth macrumors 6502

I'm with bmac4 up there, I had to unlock my iPhone due to a 2 month trip to China, which I'm still on :D. I called at&t and the customer representative was very happy to help me, she asked why I was trying to unlock and I told her and she said okay and it was done. I bought this iPhone 5 when it first came out using my mom's upgrade, but I assume it's still under contract.

My family has been with at&t for year now though, and we have 5 lines on our account, so that might have something to do with it.

9. pk7 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting alternative, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!

Yeah, we're definitely gonna give it a shot on the telephone and see if they'll be generous. Yours are among many success stories which I've heard so I'm pretty confident. We have 3 lines and have been with them for 3 years so hopefully they'll be lenient.

Thanks all for your suggestions! Will let you know how it goes.