At&t etf

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nixiemaiden, Sep 19, 2012.

1. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I have read a lot about this cross-upgrading thing going on and just have a question about AT&T ETF as a result. It seems that with AT&T people are able to successfully add a second line to their phone to purchase their iPhone, then swap the iPhone to their main line and then put a dumb phone on the second line and cancel all of the data so it is only $9.99 a month.

If that is the case, and I wanted to cancel the new contract on the dumb phone...would it cost the $325 smart phone etf since I originally started the contract with a smart phone or $150 basic phone etf since technically the contract I am cancelling is now a dumb phone?

2. MarkG21 macrumors regular

You'd be paying the $325 etf.

3. nixiemaiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

If that is the case then why does AT&T let you cancel the data once you switch it to a dumb phone? None of it makes sense.

4. dwburnell macrumors regular

It's because you aren't canceling your contract on the line, just a feature.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The ETF might seem like it is on the phone, but it is not. It is on the line/phone number.

You could have your new phone broken next month and replace with a dumb phone and still be obligated to 2 year service.

It is the line.

6. nixiemaiden thread starter macrumors 6502a

What doesn't make sense to me is that to keep the 9.99/month for 24 months (240) is cheaper than paying to terminate the contract (325) if you downgrade to a dumb phone.

I'm just really confused / surprised that they don't force you to keep the data plan for the length of the contract is all.

I mean right now I am like a year into my contract and my cheapest option is to terminate and sign up new. (205 to cancel + 199 for new phone)

Unless I want to pay 9.99 per month to get upgrade pricing every year which sounds tempting but at the same time...how long until they close that loophole and force people onto shared data plans in order to get a new phone?

7. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

the ETF is attached to the original contract you signed or e-signed which ever you prefer. The terms are to just have the line with data or without does not matter

----------

I mean in the end att is making money off you no matter what. The whole add a line bit was for people who wanted to defer paying up front and maybe save some money in the long run and also to be able to upgrade next year using their other line!

I really hope they don't force ppl in shared data but maybe they will. but I don;t see how they would since i have unlimited and everyone else on my plan was the 2 gb plan. I would be pissed. haah