AT&T Exempts Itself From Its Data Cap

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Jan 16, 2013.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/att-exempts-itself-its-data-cap-violates-leas

What are your thoughts on this practice? The provider that owns the line can give their content preferential treatment. From a technology standpoint it likely does cost them less to send their own data. But it also means that data not hosted by them is less likely to be accessed if people have data caps. This practice isn't specific to AT&T (as the article states).

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I wonder if this means AT&T is going to start enforcing their U-Verse data cap? As of yet, they haven't. Regular DSL users have received notifications about it.

3. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't see any problem with that. Just another company leveraging their services for the sake of their ecosystem.

4. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

What if your ISP said "You can go to MacRumors.com for a penny per page or go to MacStuff.yourisp.com for free"?

5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

That's not what is happening here though. You're still going to be paying the penny. AT&T is just offering a carrot for their services that if you use them your penny will go a little further.

6. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It's exactly what's happening. Video served from their site will not count towards your cap (it's free) but video from a competitor (youtube for instance) will count towards your cap.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Glad I have cablevision. Data caps on home Internet is ridiculous

8. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

The actual topic is on mobile Internet.

9. Rodimus Prime, Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

to me I see massive conflict of interested. Data caps of any type I generally think are crap and pretty much nothing more than a money grab.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And now we see why ATT and Verizon are opposed to net neutrality.

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

That's exactly what's happening. Companies like Netflix, Amazon, Apple even, are going to continually be squeezed by data limits while service providers will allow you to use their services, data free, to access the content they own.

Example, Time Warner owns media company X, they sell you your Internet and are the only provider in town. Then they hit you with a "modest" data cap of 20gb per month. You want to buy a hit tv show season that media company X produces, but it's going to count 8gbs on your data cap to buy from iTunes, where it's data free from Time Warner.

See where this is going? Because I do, and I don't like it.

Would you like it if your electric company decided what brand devices you could run, and how long?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This proves that there is no issue with bandwidth or network restrictions, it's all about the ISP not wanting you to use outside products. The same bits are going through the pipe be it ATT or Netflix.

13. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It doesn't actually prove that. Crappy ASCII diagram incoming!

Phone <---> AT&T servers with AT&T content <---> Netflix

Since you're on the AT&T network, all your data obviously comes through their servers. If they attach their content servers directly to this, the content comes straight from them. Netflix has to come from Netflix, through AT&T servers, then out to you. So it could cost more for the extra bandwidth to get the data from an outside source.

I still don't agree with the data capping plan, but it may be cheaper for them this way.

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How is data more expensive for AT&T, they own a lot of the infrastructure. It costs more for Google or Netflix but not AT&T. They are one of the big boys who build the back bone. I say AT&T meaning the original company not SBC.

15. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Just because you own the infrastructure doesn't make it free. Somebody still has to pay the gas bill.

16. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Fair enough. When I first saw it I saw AT&T and was only thinking mobile. Push it to home internet use and it becomes a horse of a different color for sure.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

And they charge enough in internet fees to be able to cover it. There is no need for data caps of any kind. It is all a ploy to force you to use their cable services and not Netflix.

18. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

Am I missing something???

In reading the article, it sounds like all they are doing is exempting the data consumed by the use of an At&t MicroCell from counting against the cap.

Correct?

That doesn't seem horribly unfair to me.

19. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well it finally happened. I agree with everything you said here!

I wonder if you would consider transforming Internet service into behaving more like a utility.

20. eric/ Guest

eric/

:D

haha.

It was tough trying to articulate that little paragraph to drive the point home.

But yes, I think that the Internet should be treated as a public utility. To me it's basically a digital road, and you wouldn't but caps on where people can drive on the road would you?

21. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I have to agree. Internet communication has moved beyond mere luxury. It is now nearly required for conducting business on many levels. This leads me to believe that treating it as a public utility is in everyone's best interest.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Tolls are roads are more expensive during rush(peak) hour so actually they are trying to cap the amount of people on roads at certain times of the day.

23. eric/ Guest

eric/

So what does a data cap do to prevent peak hours?

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Beats me. I was just addressing the analogy.

25. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well, if you wanted to address it then you would have to come up with a much more elaborate one. One involving ATT+media company controlling the roads, and not charging you to go through their tolls compared to charging you to go through Apple's tolls, to get to the same place where you buy the same thing from ATT+media company.