AT&T extra $250 for early upgrade???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsnuff1, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

I have bought the new iPhone every year, and have always paid the early upgrade price, which has always been $100 on top of the full discount price.

Why the hell is it 250 extra this year? Is everyone else getting the same early upgrade extra price?

2. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

3. ripper998 macrumors regular

uh, yeah, its been at least $200 since I can remember.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

of course the fact that you agreed to a two year contract has nothing to do with any of this. AT&T usually lets you upgrade 12=16 months depending on your bill. Sadly it's not based on shiney new iphone. In reality they could make you wait 24 months. btw my contract says I can't upgrade till 1=12 so I have to wait too. Or pay $250 but I you understand what I agreed to before.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

It went from $200 to $250 this year. :confused:

For the 3G, 3GS and the iPhone 4 it was $200 extra for the Early Upgrade. The original iPhone did not have a subsidy so there was not an early upgrade. Just full price for a locked iPhone. :mad:

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

It used to be 200 for me. I always remember buying the iPhone for 399 - the 2 year upgrade price was 199. This was when I got the 3GS and 4.

8. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

You were contractually obligated to finish the 2 year contract, Apple has ripped off ATT and now ATT wants that money to come out of your pocket.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Yes, but cell phone companies already gouge consumers on text, data and tethering plans. Not to mention that the opt out fee has gone up significantly. So you'd think they would at least throw us a bone and allow an upgrade at the subsidized price.

AT&T won't let me upgrade until Feb, without paying through the nose. Not sure who to blame, Apple for releasing a new phone every year or AT&T for making 24 month contracts.

10. MallCop macrumors 6502

Got my iPhone 4 on July 1st 2011 and AT&T gave me a discounted upgrade for $450. Not bad since I can sell my current phone for that.

11. mpossoff macrumors 68020

12. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

AT&T is doing a lot right now. $200 was ok, but making it $250, I made hold off. Unless I get $400 for my iPhone 4

Or AT&T knows people were upgrading for $400 and selling on eBay for double that price

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Huh? How do you figure Apple has ripped off AT&T. They clearly went into their purchase agreement with both eyes open.

You don't want to pay the price? There are plenty of alternative phones and carriers out there.

14. Smtevo macrumors 6502

Apples site is the same, 250.

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

As you said, the contracts currently on most plans are a total ripoff and done simply to screw consumers for the betterment of AT&T's stock. When that is pointed out, people cry about how we should leave the company yet nobody else really offers anything better. The 2 year contract is a joke and done so AT&T can get as many ETF's as possible.

16. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

They charge because there is people willing to pay.
    If you don't pay, you are not charged, as more people stops paying, there will be a point in time when they no longer ask for the fee.
    Real competition is not out there.
    Cellphone carriers, cable providers and ISPs are all the same kind of douche bags.
    If you tell them that you want to switch to another carrier, they will ask for the ETF, tell them that the other carrier will give you credit for you to pay the ETF, and see if they offer you something like waiving the early upgrade fee?
    Negotiate.
    Smart customers get the best deals. Ask for the manager, or the customer retention manager, whatever they have to try to keep you.

17. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

If you don't want to pay the $250 then don't upgrade early or better yet, get an unlocked phone instead. There's a price to pay for getting a subsidized phone.

18. TC25 macrumors 68020

Almost no one says this. Most people say, If you don't want to pay the $250, don't upgrade early and If you don't like the ETF, don't cancel early. A very simple concept that exceeds the mental capacity of whiners.

19. dialed1 macrumors 6502

dialed1

I was eligible for full upgrade up until the day before the iPhone 4S launch then I was +250 early iPhone upgrade eligible go figure

20. blesio, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011

blesio macrumors regular

Oh man, you're so disappointed aren't you OP? But hold on for a minute and think.... Do you think that when you payed for a 700$ phone lets say 199$ that AT&T or whatever operator gives the rest of the cost to you for free? The answer is no. Nope, the rest of the phone cost is split into what you pay monthly and is calculated specifically for the time you have your contract signed. So buying a new phone earlier than the end of your contract you actually aren't able to pay off the phone that you initially bought. Well in light of all this the operator has to get the rest of money for the phone, they're not charity you know?
    Once you understand this you should stop whining about the additional fee and shell out the money.
    There's also another choice, you can always shell out the 700$ right away for the contract free iPhone and not pay the operator any money. But next year you will have to shell out another 700 bucks for a new one if of course you still want to get one.
    Really you thought that phones are for free? And that cheap? Think again.

21. kcgunner macrumors member

Here's an idea

I am not eligible until 11-18-11 for an upgrade. I was thinking of adding a line to my account for $199 on 10-14-11. I'll activate it but switch SIM cards with my iPhone 4. Then use it for a month until the return option is about to run out and return it for a refund. By then i'll only be 4 days until my upgrade becomes effective and I'll just upgrade then. Screw AT&T! It's immoral I know, but honestly after years of B.S. from them they deserve it.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

Apple is well known to charge the highest process to all their carriers. Reports estimate the average selling price pays for all iPhones comes out to around $650 (this assumes 16/32gb models).

If this is the case, and we all kmow Apple rarely discounts more than 3% even to their authorized resellers (just look at amazon apple pricing and see that are almost the same as apple store).

Add to the fact that Sprint just recently raised their ETF to $350 mlast month because they knew they were getting the iPhone.

Carriers cannot afford to pay let's say $600 (in bulk discount from apple because they don't discount much). See to consumer for $200 on contract. And than have the consumer cancel the contract for a $175 ETF. Sprint would be losing so much money if people figured this strategy out.

Many of my friends did this for the iPhone 3GS when it came out in 2009 and they weren't eligible. They simply opened up another line. Brought for the $199 price amd than canceled the line and paid the $175 ATT ETF at the time.

Bam. You just got an iPhone for about $375 plus taxes and upgrade fee. So around $400 for no contract iPhone. Carriers started many people were doing this and they were losing money.

You also had guys opening up 10 new lines (2 family accounts with the spouses credit also). They would buy 10 iPhones for $199 and immediately canceled the contract pay the $175 ETF and resell those iPhone for $700-800 Especially to international markets.

That's why carriers can't afford to give everyone full subsidy early upgrade.

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Look, AT&T is in it to make money. If you want a hand out, head on down to the un-bathed at Wall street!

If people do not like AT&T they will leave. They have policies which everyone agrees to when they sign a contract. The problem is many, today, feel they should not have to live up to their obligations! I guess it is our new entitlement society.

24. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

You can't even wait about a month for a 4s when you already have the 4? Too me, that's a lot of hassle and a time just to have a phone for a few weeks early. And what if that 4s gets damaged and you can't return it? Then you're stuck with 2 lines. And the reality is that you may not even be able to get the 4s immediately due to supply constraints.

I'm eligible on 12/1 and I'll just wait it out with my 4 until then. Learn to have some patience and get over the instant gratification mentality. I am sure you'll survive using your 4 for about 5 more weeks.

25. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wish AT&T wouldn't restart your upgrade period after paying the $250.