AT&T Family Plan Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bwhitta, Sep 13, 2012.

1. bwhitta macrumors regular

My fiancé is currently on her parents' AT&T family plan with a 3GS and contact end date of February 2013. I am looking to move her to an open line on my Verizon family plan. My question is will AT&T allow us to just knock her line on the family plan to a $9.99/month basic phone fee, in order for the line to remain open? We have an old basic phone to use. Essentially, my question comes down to whether AT&T let's users on contract who are paying for monthly data on a smartphone take away the monthly data charge and move to a basic phone? Will this action cause the contract to be renewed? Thanks.

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes you can remove the data plan as soon as you switch to a dumb phone. You just need to provide the IMEI number to AT&T and they will remove the data feature. Yes it is feature and has no impact on the contract status. Just remember to cancel the line in Feb. when the contract ends.

You do know that using this process, your GF will not be able to take her current phone number with her to Verizon?

Dave

3. bwhitta thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Right, we're not worried about keeping the number. It will just be cheaper to pay for monthly line access for a basic phone until February instead of paying the ETF.