At&t Family Plan: Upgrade is $399 for one $199 for the other

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lemonademaker, Jul 18, 2009.

1. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    Hiya,

Ok we have a family plan (5 phones). I want the 3gs and wife does not. via the Apple site, She is eligible for the $199 upgrade I am not ($399). My samsung has the light blue and white 3g sim card. Can we buy the 3gs under "her number" but put my sim card into it and register it with itunes with my number? yes I am aware of the $30 data plan which i expect.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

2. POLBOSS macrumors member

Not in iTunes, but after it arrives and activates you can call ATT and switch the data plan

3. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

thanks for the quick reply,

so can I just put my sim card in the phone when it arrives? then activate it then call att, because if we turn it on when it arrives I'm assuming that sim card that comes with the iphone will be "connected" to my wifes number?

Thanks again,
    Dave

4. hcoteen2008 macrumors regular

You could just go to an AT&T store and they will do it all for you.

5. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

I figured they'd be mad at us "skirting the system"... when i talked to ATT (on phone) to buy the phone they said no we can't do that...

6. POLBOSS macrumors member

Well, of course they won't let you if you tell them beforehand :) but after you get it they won't even ask you where you got it from.

My Story is closely related but a little different :p I had a 3G, wife wanted an iPhone, being the nice husband that I am, I went and got another line and a 3Gs 16GB for $199 after I arrived home I switched the sim cards, gave the 3G to my wife and I kept the 3Gs with my number :cool:

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Bull hockey, that's what I did this year and last year, CS reps are clueless. Just go to a corporate store and they will hook you up.

8. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In my vast searching on what ATT sim card will work it sounds like i have a compatible one? (light blue/white with the 3g logo on it)

9. SBG macrumors newbie

I've done it 3 times at my local att store and had a different rep every time. Its better if you go to the store as they need to add the iphone data plan to your account. My reps got pretty confused and it took a few trips to the store to get everything back to normal with my accounts and what not.

10. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

Just tell them that your wife didn't like the phone or it wasn't for her and you're going to use it on your line. That should work.

11. POLBOSS macrumors member

Somebody around here said that the sim card he is using in his iPhone is so old that it says Cingular on it :eek:

12. lemonademaker thread starter macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

nope it does have the ATT logo on it.

finally pulled the trigger and bought the iphoneit at the apple online store (diff between5-7 days to 14days on att site)
    should be here by next week...

I have a 100 or so apps on my touch, will they automatically be "synced" to my iphone.... i'd like to have the paid apps like slingbox on both the iphone/touch (yes i know it some only works on wifi ie skype, slingbox etc)..... do i have to buy the paid apps on the iphone also? is the data in the apps synced between both devices via iTunes? (example: gascubby, that tracks your MPG between fillups and expenses spent on the cars)

thanks