AT&T FAN Discount for 3g Service (I got my bill)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfreak623, Jul 23, 2008.

1. jfreak623 macrumors 6502

I recieved my bill today and they ended up charging me for upgrade fees that were supposed to be waived and they would not take them off unless i drove my paperwork showing it to the nearest AT&T store and have them remove them So I did what I had to do. Also there was no service discount on my bill...i called to complain after having numerous convorsations with other AT&T reps who told me i indeed would get them on the new iphone. She said that it was a no go and and i was not able to get service discounts on the new iphone service. I am SOOOO FED UP with AT&T customer service and there lack of knowledge and communication that I am seriously considering backing out of my contract and moving on even if that means no more iphone. Anybody else get there bills?

2. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

There is still time for you to buy a 2G iPhone and hop on to T-Mobile's network. Do it.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You should. Voting with your wallet is a smart thing.

4. islandtitan macrumors regular

islandtitan

Did you have an account with AT&T or did you just join them for the iPhone?

what were the "upgrade" fees?

5. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

I upgraded from a 2G iphone and the fees were waved (my wife had to pay 27 since she was new)...Only reason I upgraded was cause i sold my 4gb for 200 so i could get a 8 gb for the same price and my discount was gonna cover any higher data charges. I called and had emails sent to me discussing the converation we had telling me that the iphone 3g would get discounts...... I may just switch providers where texting isnt so expensive

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Did you have a previous 1G iphone?

If not/if so does IPHONE POSTPAID TRKG show up on your account?

I'm trying to figure out if that code shows up for people who have never had a 1G iphone.

The code prevented discounts for people with 1G phones (Even after switching to a non-iphone). If it's not supposed to be there then its preventing your discount. I've heard getting that code removed is a pain.

7. Holla macrumors newbie

My FAN discount gave me $14 off my bill. $9 discount for voice and $5 discount for data.

8. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I have that code on my account I can see it....Are you all telling me that needs to be taken off there? If others have gotten there discounts then we all should be getting it. This is what im talking about...AT&T does not communicate anything through there company...it all depends on who you get on the phone and that pisses me off

9. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

mine says IPHONE 3G TRKG... what does that mean?

if I dont see my discount by 2 statements I will be marching to the closest tmobile shop with my unlocked iphone... count on it

10. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

thechidz,

are you a new iphone 3g customer or an upgraded 1g customer? That codes we have found out blocks any service discounts...

Anybody have any info to add on this situation???

11. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I am former 1G customer & I have the IPHONE 3G TRKG on my account under Added Features. My husband's is the secondary phone on the account, he was not a former 1G owner & his account also has this under Added Features. What is it?

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I upgraded.

but isnt it wierd mine says something different than yours? mine mentions 3g?

13. b1gted macrumors regular

b1gted

I upgraded from 1st gen Iphone and my account says IPHONE 3G TRKG
    I also added a line and got my wife the 3g Iphone also and under her number on my account is has the IPHONE 3G TRKG.

:cool:

14. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

That just tells AT&T you have a 3G phone. Nothing to worry about.

Does the "IPHONE POSTPAID TRKG" show up anywhere on your account?

I have both both the POSTPAID code and the 3G code.

15. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I'll have to see my bill when it is available but will that stop the discount from applying?

16. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

90% certain it won't.

Anyways to give a update I called 611 and spoke to a very nice rep. I had to explain the situation to her (That I knew the "IPHONE POSTPAID TRKG" code was not supposed to still be on my account but the "IPHONE 3G TRKG" was). Explain that the POSTPAID code is a leftover code from the old iphone and should no longer be on your account because it prevents discounts.

She confirmed what we knew that the 1G phone was not eligible for discounts but the newer 3G phone was. She couldn't remove the code (as expected ... google IPHONE POSTPAID TRKG and you will see the same results) but she was able to find a solution.

She found a Apple FAN Discount override that she applied to my account and it shows up in OLAM as "APL FAN DISC OVRRIDE". She claimed I would still see the old POSTPAID code but the override will make the discount eligible. Which now that OLAM has updated appears to be the case.

My advice to the OP (any anyone else with the problem) is call AT&T and request the override. I don't know if this will work but so far it seems to be. We will see when my bill comes in.

17. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

I received my first iPhone bill today. I was pleasantly surprised. I activated a new account (two FT lines) on the 16th and the cycle date is the 19th. Since the phone was activated before I added the Premier account FAN discount the bill did show the activation fees for both of my lines. I called business customer care and let them know that our Premier discount waives the activation fees. The agent then waived the fees without a problem.

The other charges and the 23% discount were properly applied to the account. My discount applies to the voice, FT line, and the data plans. I was not expecting the discount to be applied because of the 2-3 billing cycle disclaimer I saw when I added the discount.

Good job AT&T!

18. jfreak623 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats my problem with AT&T

They have no communication in the company. Why are they allowing some to get the 3g discount and yet others when they call cause it wasnt on there bill get told that 3g iphones do not get discounts just like the original iphone....

Although i did happen to call again and give the information about overiding that code that was mentioned above and she was happy to do that. I see on my feautures now "upgraded tracking"...I dont think that was there before but i could be wrong, anyway she said i should see it on next months bill.

Is there anyone on a family plan that upgraded from the normal iphone data 200 plan who now has family unlimited messaging? I got billed out the wazoo last month for texts and had to have the charges removed...but when i log in to data usuage, its says "Used 202 of 200 Text messaging". Shouldnt is say "used 202 of UNLIMITED"? Im thinking something is messed up in my plan. When i go to feautures however it does show Unlimited family messaging.....any idea if it should be like this??

19. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

From being with AT&T for a couple of years now I've come to realize their billing system is so archaic and complex that things occasionally slip through (You have to remember their billing system is a melting pot of various former systems). They realize this and are usually more then helpful in correcting things so I let it slide.

Besides when I was with sprint I noticed similar things so I know it's not just AT&T.

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

It's one thing if they don't allow the discount but having different reps give different answers is just wrong. It is a sign of a poorly run business. That is not a minor detail that slipped, it's a big part of a customers contract.

21. cduenas4 macrumors newbie

I just picked up my iphone 3g 8gb today at AT&T as an upgrade after being 2 years with them. (never owned one before) and it looks as if my discount isnt being applied anymore. I have a Premier account with 200 bonus minutes and TMS4. I can still see my FAN account # on the top-right (from my employer). When I check my 'Rate Plan & Features' details it show my monthly cost as 39.99. I currently have a rate plan change pending as I went from the 900 plan to the 450. I know I can just wait for the next bill to see for sure but whats the best way to possibly confirm this now?

Thanks

** To confirm, I am getting some sort of discount because I have those codes added to my account but I dont think I retained the voice plan discount...

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

My guess is this. If you had TMS4, getting the iPhone and its included text messaging part of the data plan cancels out the TMS4 discount you have. What you'll need to do is call ATT and tell them that you want to replace the text messaging part of the plan with the TMS4 code you are going to give them. If they ask where it's come from, tell them it's part of your FAN discount from your employer. If they tell you it doesn't exist, either tell them it was there before, or call back later. Some people here have had that issue happen to them, but have called back, talked to people who knew what they were doing, and had it added back.

BL.

23. downwardspiral macrumors newbie

You will see the discount on your bill. The rate plan and features page will show the standard price. I got my first bill earlier today and that is exactly what happened.

24. cduenas4 macrumors newbie

Great, ok so ill hang tight and wait for the next bill. Thanks

Sorry I confirmed this shortly after, I do currently have those codes with my iphone active. Problem was that I couldnt see proof that I was getting the voice service discount. I'll just wait for the next coming bill I suppose.

25. Hardcoredan52 macrumors regular

I just got my first bill and I have a student discount of 15%. I added it after I got home from the Apple store. They took off 15 bucks and change for it. About to call and see if they will waive the activation charge, because my discount is suppose to waive that.

update...
    I don't understand but my college doesn't waive the activaction charge anymore... weird oh well.. I'm still getting 15%