AT&T fee for not returning one’s 7/7Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eagleglen, Nov 7, 2017.

1. eagleglen macrumors 65816

eagleglen

So on the AT&T next plan, you’re supposed to return your old phone after you get a new one. Last year, I didn’t return my 6 Plus and was simply billed the remaining amount on it’s contract. Since I was able to sell it for more, I made a slight profit. I was planning to do the same this year, but I just received an unusual text message from AT&T. After hoping I was enjoying my new iPhone, it reminded me to return the old one, a 7 Plus, or be changed what appears to be the full cost of my 256GB iPhone X! This is appalling. I wonder if the new contact specified this was the case? If so, it’s a hostile move on their part, as financially they were not loosing anything in the way the process worked past year. In fact, I could have paid off the amount of the 7 Plus prior to ordering the new phone, if I had know this was the case. Has anyone got any more details as to what’s happening?

2. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Is it possible that your 7+ wasn't eligible for an upgrade just yet? If not I think there was an additional fee involved. I would call them and have them explain what's going on. Found this...

When is my phone eligible to upgrade?

Text *NEW# (*639#) on your phone to get a text message that helps you check your upgrade eligibility. You can upgrade your device when it’s eligible. Or, you can trade in your current device to upgrade, pay to upgrade, or buy a device outright.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not call them and ask. tbh, I am curious as to why they would do this. I have to believe there's other details that are missing that if you call, that info will be made known.

4. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I wouldn’t have been able to get the X if I wasn’t eligible. And what this really means is that I’ll simply return the 7 Plus as requested. I had just hoped to sell it and only send AT&T the balance on the contract.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2017 ---
    I will when they open later this morning. I was just shocked to have seen their text and was wonder if anyone had some useful insight.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Please post the results, I really am interested on why they would do this

6. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

Sure thing :). I thought this would be useful to others.

7. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Just for background info...

The X is active on your old 7Plus line?

You activated the X with the SIM shipped in it, or the SIM from the 7Plus?

You paid tax only on the X with no additional down payment. Same with the 7Plus?

8. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

Curious to know this too because a lot of us will have this issue if this is the case. I tried calling yesterday to see what my remaining balance was but csr was no help whatsoever.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Get on chat. They can find the remaining balance.

I want to say on my last chat around a week ago I did ask what the options were if my 7Plus wasn’t returned. I’m certain I was told I would be billed the $444 balance on my next AT&T statement.

10. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

Yes, X is active on my old 7 Plus line.

The X was activated with the SIM shipped in it.

I paid the tax for the X with no additional payment. Same for the 7 Plus.

Just to be clear, the text I received says to return my 7 Plus by December 11, 2017, to avoid being charged $1149, which happens to be the retail price of the X I received. Last year, I received a similar text, which happens to still be on my phone, saying the exact same words but the amount I would be charged was the balance owed on my 6 Plus.
    The day before pre-orders began, I checked with AT&T and the balance owned on my 7 Plus was $398.27, which I could have paid then and kept the phone outright. Now it seems they want the 7 Plus phone or the amount the fronted me for the X.

11. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

The December 11 return date is screwy. I’m told 10 days via AT&T before the balance gets forwarded next billing cycle. A month?

This is the first time I am returning an iPhone with a balance. I’ve just paid them off in the past. And actually, I am waiting on a friend to let me know if he wants my 7Plus for the amount I owe on it($444).

12. bopajuice Suspended

bopajuice

Log into your account. I have four lines. I can see the model, remaining balance, and contract length for each phone and each line. Which ones are paid, etc.

13. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

I got on chat. After going back and forth, and waiting, his answer was for me to call CSR. When I did they were only able to pull up my new contract and couldn’t tell me what my old one still owed.
    I did on my app but only shows the new device. Unless it’s on the website vs app? Let me try it. Thanks!

14. eXoenDo macrumors member

eXoenDo

AT&T says return it with in 10 days but if you read the fine print in the NEXT return agreement you will see it’s actually 44 days (such an odd number for them to pick). Good luck getting any help from AT&T on this - when I called and asked a NEXT question about returns I went through 4 agents who had no idea what I was asking about with the return vs nonreturn payoff amount.

15. koulmj Suspended

koulmj

maybe it's 60 days, minus the 10 for the first set of days,and then minus 6 days for the number of close Sundays in that 60 day period? 44 days? Maybe?

16. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

I did look on the app and it only shows I have one phone, the X, so there’s no info about my 7 Plus. My billing date is October 1, so my next bill has already posted. To my surprise, I’m being charged the monthly equipment charge for both phones! This is absolutely wrong and I’m all but certain I’ll get that reversed. I was expecting to see an upgrade fee, which I also am usually able to get reversed, but it wasn’t there. They don’t open for a little over an hour where I’m located, so I’ll be calling them then.

17. Appleloves22 macrumors 6502a

Appleloves22

When I looked at the billing portion and viewed installments, I can see my old contract that said it was upgraded and can view my total payments I made and the balance owed.
    Found it. Thank you!

18. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 65816

eagleglen

Update: AT&T says the amount in the text message I received was an error and that I will simply be billed the amount remaining on my 7 Plus. I was also give a credit for the additional equipment charge on my bill. Fortunately they were very understanding, which is one of the reasons I’ve stayed with AT&T.