AT&T Grandfathered unlimited IPhone data plans to not switch to LTE.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhoenixMac, Mar 29, 2012.

1. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

So I was in a corporate AT&T store yesterday talking about prepaid plans for my wife and we get on the topic of the new iPhone and LTE and the rep says that people with unlimited data plans will not be able to upgrade from unlimited 3G to LTE so they will have to be on tiered plans.

Thoughts? Do you think this is going to be true or was I talking to someone who was just making stuff up?

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Not surprised. I'm on an unlimited Verizon 3G plan and I'm guessing when I want an LTE phone they'll put me on a tiered plan. I've kind of just accepted that fate :mad:

3. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Cardinal rule #1 don't believe the retail employees at any carrier or big box store that Apple sells their products at. That's why there's terms & conditions on their web sites.

All grandfathered AT&T unlimited plans also apply to their LTE service. I know, I've been using it for months with my Galaxy Androids.

It's so fast it makes you smile :)

I am eager to see Apple catch up, it's time they give us LTE & a modern sized display. Then I'll migrate from my tiny 4S to a faster more enjoyable iPhone whatever they call it :)

4. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

AT&T hasn't even hammered out tethering for the LTE iPad much less plans for a phone that hasn't been released yet.

A wage slave doing 9-5 at one of their stores has NO clue what might be happening in corporate anything. :D

5. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

I know this for certain, I was able to carry my unlimited iPad data plan through to my new AT&T/LTE iPad.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    He was just guessing. I wouldn't take as fact what some random salesperson said about an unreleased product or service.

7. PhoenixMac thread starter macrumors 65816

The conversation wasn't so much about apple but the data plans. I didn't know if any with unlimited 3G has switched to an android 4g phone and had data stay unlimited so I was essentially asking if anyone has done this recently to confirm.

8. dave420 macrumors 65816

Lots of people have switched to LTE phones and kept their unlimited plan. AT&T even publishes a separate cap for unlimited plans on LTE before throttling (5 GB). They probably wouldn't do that if they didn't intend on grandfathering people with unlimited data.
    Plus having unlimited data is one of my biggest reasons for keeping AT&T. If they didn't offer that to me anymore I'd have a good reason to look at other options, such as Verizon.

9. PhoenixMac thread starter macrumors 65816

I am swapping my unlimited AT&T for my friends Verizon unlimited because of throttling. So far the FCC said that Verizon cannot throttle the LTE.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I wouldn't say they cannot throttle.
    It's their network, they can run it the way they want.