AT&T Grandfathered unlimited no longer available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xgm541, May 13, 2012.

1. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

My sister lost her phone and I have an upgrade on my line which currently has a 4s on it. When I go to the at&t website, it tells me that I have to select an addon data plan and lists the new 300, 3gb, 5gb plans but I cannot simply select the unlimited one I currently have.

Did I miss something or is it not possible to upgrade without switching data plan from unlimited anymore?

2. Demonface macrumors 6502a

well theres no way to get it back once its gone.

3. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You should be able to do that no problem..I'd call them to do it instead.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Go to a store or get them on the phone. I'm sure they will at least pretend to help you out.

6. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

You can't switch the data plans to different lines online. The only way to do it is in store or over the phone(The store is much easier). It's still on her line so long as she had the plan.

7. motty2307 macrumors regular

It will tell you that you cannot upgrade with the unlimited data plan and that they have selected a compatible plan. If you look at the receipt however, you will see that the data is still unlimited. I just did it 5 minutes ago and I've included a screen shot.

EDIT: I think I may have read the post wrong...

Attached Files:

• att.jpg
      att.jpg
      File size:
      91.9 KB
      Views:
  8. Walter Bell macrumors regular

This isn't exactly true. I switched to Verizon for a couple days about a month ago. I did so thinking I would lose my unlimited data forever. Well I called AT&T, and on the 4th person I was able to reactivate both lines with unlimited data. The Rep told me that if you have grandfathered Unlimited Data and you switch, they have to reinstate the contract the way it was, or you could cancel service w/o paying the ETF as the terms are changing.

I have a FAN discount on my account, and I spoke to someone in Business Retentions.

Number I called was the 1800-331-0500 option 5 I think.

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Well when you upgrade, but not grandfathered to unlimited data plan, there is no option. However, you stated that you are using your upgrade to get your sister a new phone. Your sister's line still has unlimited data plan, so all you need to do is go to the AT&T store, upgrade your line, and they will handle the rest. In theory, she will be given a new sim card with her same phone number she had, and if this is the case, she will likely have her unlimited data plan back because it's in her line, not in your upgrade.

10. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's actually my line that already has unlimited data. I am using MY line's number to upgrade but give her the device.

11. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Oh, then that's odd, if you already have unlimited data plan, then you should be able to keep that. Still, I'd go the AT&T store and have them figure it out.

12. Xgm541 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, will try that