AT&T gurus, an iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prissy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Prissy macrumors 6502

I have a family plan with AT&T,

Line 1 (my line) - Just upgraded to the iPhone 5S with another two year contract.
    Line 2 (mom's line) - Two year contract will be up soon and currently have a none smart phone.

My question is that when the iPhone 6 (1 year later) is coming out, I would like to sell my 5S and use my mom's line to upgrade for the iPhone 6, but she will still keep on using her none smart phone.

Is it possible to do this? Keep in mind that I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan that I don't want to get rid off on my line.

Thanks.

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

You can use any part of a family plan for an upgrade and then assign that phone to any number within the plan. I have 5 phones on various plans and do this all the time.

3. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

correct!

4. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

You can even use a phone on someone else's plan. (With their permission of course.)

5. aapplephone macrumors member

it is possible but data plan is mandatory on second line when you buy iphone

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I just did this myself for the 5s. Since I ordered it online, I had to choose a data plan. You then have to call in and have the data plan removed from the line. Otherwise works fine though.

7. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

So what is the process of doing this? Do call AT&T and let them know that I would like to use my mom's upgrade to get an iPhone 6 to replace my iPhone 5S? Is this what you mean?

Ya I thought of doing this when the iPhone 6 is out, but I was told before that you can't cancel the data plan for a certain period of time? I would only need 1 data plan for my family plan (for myself).

8. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

Absolutely this is how I've been able to get every iPhone starting with the 4

9. Prissy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, but I also found the answer on the sticky :p

3. UPGRADE SWAP - Can I use someone else's upgrade? Yes, this is called an "upgrade swap". If you perform this in a carrier, they will handle it all for you. Apple is able to do this also in store, provided that you tell them beforehand.

If you prefer to order online, place your order for the phone using the line(s) that has an available upgrade. If this line currently has no data plan, you may need to add a data plan (just choose the cheapest as you will be removing it later.) Once the phone(s) arrive contact the carrier to let them know that you will be activating the phone(s) on another line (performing an "upgrade swap"). (If you had to add a data plan, have them remove it at this time as well.) Once the carrier has reassociated the SIM with the correct line, complete the activation on the phone. DONE!

This process does not affect your unlimited data plan.

4. What happens to the contract when performing an Upgrade Swap? The contract on the line that had the available upgrade will be renewed for 2 years. The line that the phone was transferred to will not be affected.

My only question left is that will I be charged with the new upgrade data plan even if I am cancelling the data plan after I received the iphone and done the swap?