AT&T -HD audio???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Apple Fan 21, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Apple Fan 21 macrumors regular

Has ATT activated HD audio on their network yet? Ppl say they can hear me much better on my 5S on ATT vs my 4S on Sprint. Maybe cause Sprint just sucks?

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

It's not that HD audio per say. CDMA radio for voice suck in general even compared to WCDMA voice. But CDMA radio for voice usually handle cell phone tower congestion and handoff better than WCDMA.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

iPhone 5 and 5S have better noise cancellation and microphones than older iPhones. That could be part of it, too.

4. Firocity macrumors member

When does ATT plan to release HD Voice? I saw that there was a hack that enabled it that came out this summer. Any idea on an official release?

5. netslacker macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if it's HD Voice or just iPhone improvements but I recently moved from a 4S on AT&T to a 5S on AT&T and the voice clarity is perhaps the most noticeable improvement. Callers are much, much clearer and people can hear me better too. It's a welcome improvement for sure.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I think it's definitely due to this^^^!

I'm still on Sprint, but have had several people notice better clarity with my 5s and they aren't hearing background noise.

7. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

I think they said they would launch it by the end of the year, which for all we know could be at 11:59pm on Dec 31st :rolleyes:

8. budselectjr, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

budselectjr macrumors 6502a

9. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

It depends partly on their handset vendors because although network infrastructure is required to do HD voice, the phones have to support it, too. So it wouldn't make sense to launch until enough of the installed base can take advantage of it. I don't know what the 5, 5S or 5C have in that regard.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

All three support HD voice. So do the Samsung Galaxy S III and S4. that would make for a big enough userbase, IMO.

----------

The CDMA vocoders (used on Sprint and Verizon) have a lot to do with it. They sound way "muddier" than the GSM/UMTS vocoders.

11. pokerplayer73 macrumors 6502

pokerplayer73

I have received feedback that call clarity is better on 5S vs 4S. The noice cancellation microphone on 4S was on top whereas 5S has it in the back, next to rear camera and LED flash. Certainly seems a better position for noise cancellation.

I don't know if call clarity is better on 5S vs 5.

12. predation macrumors 6502a

what i'm pissed about is that the new 15.1 carrier update through tmobile disabled HD voice.. WTF!@#!@#^%!@*&#%^!@)&*#!@#

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

!?!?!?!?

14. predation macrumors 6502a

yessir it did alright.

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

As an aside, Facetime Audio is freakin' crazy clear.

It's almost spooky. It's like whomever I'm talking to is right next to me talking right to the side of my face.

16. Firocity macrumors member

Is it confirmed that the 5s and 5c have all the necessary components to support HD-voice?

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

I thought that has been a feature since the original 5. I doubt they removed it for the 5c/5s. The main thing is waiting for the carriers to support it, and then there are issues with HD voice being supported in calls between people on two carriers.

18. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Just a reminder that FaceTime audio sounds even better than HD voice calls and work between carriers if both ends have iPhones running iOS 7.

So if your friends have iPhones, call them with FaceTime Audio! The audio quality is so good it sounds like you're standing next to them.

19. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Agreed. Use FaceTime Audio if your friend has an iPhone. Sounds really awesome.

20. CrzyP macrumors regular

Agreed! I thought this was a stupid feature in iOS 7 but I tried it last night for the first time and WOW! It made me a believer and now it will be my prefered method of calling my other iPhone friends and family.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

+1

The only drawback, aside from the other party needing an iOS device, is there seems to be a slight lag. But it's worth it to actually understand the other person. When talking with Dish Network support a couple of nights ago, the lady might as well have been talking through a layer of cotton balls.