AT&T Insists 3g Sim Won't Work in Any Phone - For Voice

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meagain, Jul 16, 2008.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

Two supervisors and two support people insist that we can't put our 3g sim cards in ANY other phone to get voice working. If I wanted to climb a mountain and use a crappy phone, I can't put my iPhone's 3g into the old Samsung, Razr, etc. and make calls. THEN they insist even the 2g won't work.

2. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

They're idiots--ignore them.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Uh... I already did it.
    As a matter of fact, because the iPhone couldn't be activated right away, AT&T specifically told me to just take the SIM card out of it and use it in my old phone until I could get it working.

4. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

haha... so sad but so true

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

These guys are so pathetic sometimes i want to take their head and bash it against a brick wall.. they dont know a single thing about the product they sell...

6. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I didn't realize you can take the sim card out. I picked up my iPhone last night and had my RAZR ready for him to take the sim card. I questioned him and he just said the sim card is already in the iPhone. Clueless on this, i left the store. Got home and spent an hour adding all my contact info on my laptop, then syncing it. Looking at the phone, i don't see where the sim card is.:confused:
    I'd like to use my RAZR as a backup too. Like for climbing a mountain.:)

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

In between the sleep/wake button and the headphone jack should be a slot with a hole in it. If you push the SIM removal tool in that hole the SIM tray will pop out (with your SIM in it).

8. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Thank you. That is hidden well!!! I could have just looked at a diagram i guess. Don't know why the salesguy didn't just swap them out for me. I actually spent more than hour adding contacts. My RAZR actually had a new sim card in it because i had bought another phone but returned it.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Ouch. The 3G iPhone has an option to import contacts from a SIM, too!

10. illutionz macrumors 65816

What you can do to those people is to come prepared with the iphone sim removal tools (oh yeah APPLE gives us the SIM removal tools so we can take it out)...

Go there and reconfirm and see whether he still insisted, if he is, take out the SIM in front of his face and use it on an unlocked phones and maybe call his cell number :rolleyes:

Sigh, I don't understand why they are so stupid and not knowing what they're selling

11. tlove macrumors member

tlove

here is what i did

So i was not eligible for a new contract. My girlfriend , whom i'm on the family plan, was. She already has a first gen iphone, and I have a razr. I got the new phone activated with her number, I then took out that sim and put it back in her first gen iphone. I took the sim out of my razr and put it in the new 3g iphone. I cannot take advantage of 3g or visual voicemail, I don't mind because I have wifi still, but I can do everything else. And I dont have to pay the for the expensive plan every month.:)

12. sorrowharvester macrumors newbie

Well, the rep at the AT&T store took the SIM from my Blackberry and put it into my iPhone 3G and it worked perfectly.

(I had to activate the iPhone on a new number because AT&T had fouled up before I went to the Apple store).

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I would think the 3G would work (for voice). If you add the iPhone data plane the Visual Voice mail should work too.

14. tlove macrumors member

tlove

update

I just added unlimited internet (3G) for 15 dollars a month :)

15. tlove macrumors member

tlove

oh yeah

Visual voice mail does not work though. Oh well.

16. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

wow, so essentially just activating the 3g phone unlocks it?

17. elistan macrumors 6502a

But your girlfriend - SHE has to pay the new expensive $30/mo (w/o SMS) plan now, doesn't she. And she doesn't even get to take advantage of 3G.

18. elistan macrumors 6502a

No - it's still locked in with AT&T.

19. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

be very careful with this. as i mentioned in another thread at&t has, in the past, figured out what people were doing and back charged customers for data usage. in your specific case they could very well charge you per kilobyte instead of the monthly dollar difference ($15). i HAVE seen them do this with the blackjack and blackberries.

20. tlove macrumors member

tlove

Thanks, I will check into this further. Another thing I did, was call AT$T, and say that she did not like her new iphone and wanted to take the sim chip out and put it in the old one. They said fine and only have to pay the original $20 iphone internet service.

21. Racerdog55 macrumors member

Sim Card

How are you guys getting the iPhone 3g sim card to work in another phone, mine wont work in my HTC Cruise or a older Razor.

22. CrackerjacksM88 macrumors member

Does anyone know if the iphone's data plan would work on a blackjack or blackberry?

23. ec51 macrumors 6502

Why would you want to do that? Blackberry data is also $30/month and you get push email...

24. bigmouth macrumors 6502

I can confirm that my iPhone 3G SIM card works fine for voice and data on my ATT Tilt.