AT&T iP6 changes to 4G when calling/Receiving call

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigres, Oct 4, 2014.

1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Can anyone confirm their device changes from LTE to 4G as soon as they call or receive a call on iPhone 6/6 plus?

I have had terrible call quality since I have had the phone, cutouts (no dropped calls), just the usual every other word heard from other caller.

I noticed today in a full LTE area, when my son called my phone immediately changed to 4G.

1. Is it supposed to do this?
    2. Anyone else getting degraded service on phone calls?
    3. Can you confirm you are talking on the phone with LTE vs. 4G
    4. Hardware or Software issue?

Called AT&T, they said Apple is aware of it, but we all know how good that information is...
    Let me know,
    Thanks

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's been that way since iPhone 5 came out. Yes, it's normal. AT&T doesn't support VoLTE yet.

3. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

1. Yes, if your not on VoLTE
    4. Most likely a carrier issue

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

As others have mentioned, for a voice call to go over LTE, the carrier (and the phone) have to support VoLTE.

AT&T and Verizon are both just now starting to roll out VoLTE coverage. IIRC, only a few AT&T markets have it.

If you're in a market that doesn't have VoLTE, then voice calls have to go over their non-LTE network (i.e. 4G or 3G).

So what you're seeing is normal and has been happening since carriers rolled out LTE years ago. :)

5. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

Got it.
    thanks guys.

Perhaps my bad call quality is the phone then, as my 5s was not nearly as poor in reception.

Thanks again