AT&T iPhone 4s Replacement at Apple Store question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GadgetGeek407, Nov 25, 2011.

1. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

If i have an at&t iPhone and apple replaces it at their store and say somehow I am able to have them give me the phone without activating my sim, does that mean it will be factory unlocked considering the full priced att iPhones are unlocked? I'm asking cause technically its not attached to an account or sim and I would suppose even someone who takes a factory unlocked phone is given a regular gsm phone replacement and its not until the sim is put in that it is locked right? thanks

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't think you understand how Factory unlocked works.

3. GadgetGeek407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I do but I'm NOT talking about factory unlocked I'm talking about full retail priced att iPhone which is ALSO factory unlocked, the ONLY difference between locked and unlocked iPhone is the IMEI is in apples database as being locked.

I would assume they don't auto lock the replacement units considering they don't know who is getting it for what reason

4. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

Sorry but you assume incorrectly. If you get an Apple replacement unit, it will have the same "unlock' status as the unit that it replaces based on the status in the Apple system.

So if your current iPhone that you purchased from AT&T is locked, any replacement iPhone provided as a warranty replacement or even an Out of Warranty replacement will have the same "lock/unlock" status. The Genius will verify the IMEI of your current iPhone and update the replacement to have the same status. It has nothing to do with the Micro-SIM an is striclty based on the IMEI status in the Apple system.

Dave

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Also, the Genius won't give you a replacement phone until they have made sure it is completely tied to your account. You're replacing it, Not getting a new one. Plus, in my experience, the Genius switches the SIM and activates the replacement phone.