AT&T iPhone 4S Tethering Speed for Laptop Wireless Access

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JulesK, Jul 14, 2012.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

I'm interested in getting the AT&T tethering plan ($50 for 5GB) for my 4S. I anticipate using it primarily when I do not have wifi access for my laptop (pretty infrequent), and I don't want the cost/expense of a separate 4G LTE mobile hotspot from either AT&T or Verizon. (My hope is that when the iPhone 5 comes out, that will serve as my 4G LTE hotspot.) I know that AT&T advertises its 4G LTE speeds as 10X the speed of 3G, and the 4G as 3X the speed, but can anyone comment on the usability of the iPhone 4S as a hotspot on AT&T network for a laptop? I'd use it mostly for e-mail/accessing my firm's network, and light web use (no streaming video or heavy duty use like that).

I had a Verizon pre-4G LTE hotspot previously, and it was a dog to the point of being unusable; the 4G LTE hotspot I had through work for a while was awesome in terms of speed. I know that AT&T's 4G speed won't be nearly as fast, but I want it usable.

Many thank in advance for you comments.

2. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I have the hotspot plan for my 4S and the speeds are good. I'm able to login to my office just fine with my laptop and or iPad.

3. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

In St. Louis on AT&T I have no trouble hitting ~10 Mbps through my iPhone 4S.

I can get a faster connection through my phone than through friends/family's home DSL connection.