AT&T iPhone 5 on T-Mobile prepaid..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Selxo, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Selxo macrumors newbie

I want to switch over to T-mobile's $30 prepaid plan, but I don't know if I will have 4G or LTE service. Do any of you have this plan? Do you have 4G or LTE?

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, you will have 4G and LTE.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

No, in a lot of places if you have an A1428 without AWS support that was updated in 2013, you will not have either. You'll be limited to re-affirmed areas, which are getting better but still very scant.

4. cdow macrumors newbie

I have a pre 2013 AT&T iPhone 5 and recently unlocked it to switch to the TMO $30/month plan. I live in a small college town in northern AZ and get "4G" everywhere, which is good enough for me. Recently went down to Phoenix and got the full TMO LTE for the first time since switching services and it was great. So like the previous post, you most likely will not get LTE for now unless you live in one of the few cities, but it's not too bad otherwise.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Sorry, you're correct. For some reason I thought the OP had a T-Mobile iPhone.

6. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

See this thread for more details, and check the last 4 digits of the serial number of your phone to those listed in this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1572942

But basically, if you have an AT&T iP5 that doesn't have a serial number listed in the the thread, you will get LTE on T-Mobile, and you will get 4G, but only on up to 21 Mbps on TMobiles "refarmed" network. If you have a phone that does have one of the serial numbers listed, then you will get LTE, plus 4G on the refarmed network, plus up to 42 Mbps on TMobile's dedicated AWS spectrum.

What I noticed (as I started with an AT&T model, and then switched to the TMobile model with a verified serial number) is that with the AT&T version I would get 4G in a number of areas, but would drop to Edge if the refarmed network wasn't there. Once I switched, I pick up 4G in more areas (where I was only getting Edge with the AT&T phone), and drop to EDGE much less often, as the refarmed 4G coverage area + native 4G coverage area covers a much bigger area.

Hope this helps.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Good news. You have a Model A1428.

If it's an early model, pre-March, you don't have AWS(1700/2100mhz) band support for 4G/HSPA+. If it's a later model you do.

You can compare serial number at this support site for concrete verification.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720

If your serial number doesn't match. No pink in the right hand column for you. But you get the green, and you get the pink in the left hand column.

Hard to make clear, LOL.

[​IMG]