Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
New iPhone 5 caught your eye? If you travel internationally, plenty of reasons to not buy the AT&T version.

Simply put it isn't LTE compatible with the bands used outside the US and Canada. Verizon and Sprint version can work with many more international LTE frequency bands.

great article on it here:

http://www.peaceloveapplepie.com/att-iphone-5-not-so-fast/

But isn't the rollout of LTE internationally quite a bit behind the US? Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the AT&T model offer better support of the GSM/HSPA bands used throughout Europe?

acarney

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
But isn't the rollout of LTE internationally quite a bit behind the US? Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the AT&T model offer better support of the GSM/HSPA bands used throughout Europe?

MUCH better support....

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Exactly.
I think I will worry more about my home coverage LTE support that I spend 99% of my time and not if the international location Im visit for a little bit even has LTE available and if my iphone supports it. As long as it supports GSM 3G and HSPA+ I think I can live with that on a vacation.
You guys worry about the most insignificant things.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2000
The CMDA version of the phone is also compatible with GSM/HSPA bands around world i believe. The jury is still out on this one i think.

but who knows. its just weird to have chipsets that vary so much.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
"Terrible international support" ?

If you call that terrible, then I'd love to see what you'd say about other manufacturers.

Between the two models in the US they're hitting 7 LTE bands.

There's a limit to what's feasible right now. Most of these networks are quite young still. Most international phones have yet to even include LTE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.