AT&T iPhone 6s paid in full is unlocked, has Band 30

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phrasikleia, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

There seems to be a lot of confusion about this point, so I'm posting this to help anyone looking for an unlocked iPhone 6s. I walked into an Apple store today and picked up an AT&T "paid in full" phone. I left with the box sealed, went home and popped in my T-Mobile SIM. It works. The model of the phone is A1633, so it has Band 30.

2. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for reporting the info.

One question though, did you have to use a phone number to buy the phone? It was my understanding that only the T-Mobile version could be bought without having to select a line (device only).

3. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I bought a verizon 6 last year and I'm an at&t customer, if you get it full price they don't ask.

4. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

What about buying from Apple Online? If you chose an AT&T phone you had to supply a phone number.

5. whyamihere macrumors regular

whyamihere

This! I've read a lot of posts, but I have yet to see someone confirm:
    -ordered from Apple
    -paid in full AT&T (gave them my phone number)
    -delivered by UPS
    -put in previous iPhone 6 AT&T Sim (rather than activating with the SIM that came with it)
    -restored from backup, didn't see a "Congrats, Unlocked" screen

Is this unlocked? I have no other carrier's SIM to test with. Anyone in this situation can confirm they've put another carrier's SIM in with success? Thanks!

6. RabidMacFan macrumors regular

My understanding is that if you paid in full, from Apple, then the phone is unlocked. My new iPhone 6s that I purchased at the Apple store is unlocked, but came with an AT&T sim card. I'm interested to hear about the status about phones purchased direct from T-Mobile, AT&T, etc.

7. KPOM macrumors G5

I did the Apple Upgrade Program at the Apple Store with AT&T. I can confirm that a Verizon SIM works just fine. In the past I've also bought full-priced AT&T and T-Mobile iPhones from the Apple Retail Store. They were all unlocked.

8. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

I paid mine in full but haven't tested a different SIM yet. Did your phone come with an AT&T pre-installed inside the tray?

Mine did. Took that one out then popped in my own SIM. Obviously it worked cause it's AT&T.

9. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Yeah, mine came with an AT&T SIM in the tray. I just took that out and put in my T-Mobile SIM.

No, I never gave a phone number.

This is good to know. I'm considering switching to Verizon and just called a store here to ask about it. The guy's reply was confusing. So you're confirming that your Verizon SIM is working in an AT&T 6s/s+?

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, it works, even on 3G CDMA and 2G 1xRTT. But annoyingly when I type in the IMEI into Verizon's "bring your own device" link it shows up as "not compatible." So your local Verizon store might not give you a SIM card if they can't link it to your IMEI. If you have any Verizon whitelisted phone with a nano-SIM (even an old iPhone 5C) and can get an activated SIM card, then it will work in any unlocked iPhone 6S just fine, though.

11. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Ugh. That will be difficult. Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Is there no way to get a phone whitelisted?

12. KPOM macrumors G5

My parents tried today, first on Sprint, and then on Verizon. Sprint's BYOD website specifically lists the iPhone 6S, but still they had no luck getting a T-Mobile iPhone 6S whitelisted. It could be a matter of insisting that the store call the national office. It's supposed to work. If they don't believe you, have them insert the SIM card from one of their phones.

In my case, I have a valid Verizon SIM card that I got last year when there was a glitch on Apple's website that let people open up new accounts with unlimited data plans when ordering an iPhone 6 (I use it on my iPad now). So I already have a Verizon SIM and just was able to pop it in to test it out.

13. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Thanks again for the very helpful reply. I guess I'll really have to put in some effort if I want to use Verizon.

14. 7roca7 macrumors member

7roca7

Sales person told me the phone's were unlocked, and made so you can use any carrier? Just get a sim from them and activate?

15. KPOM macrumors G5

That's how it should work in theory. In practice, the legacy CDMA carriers may not cooperate since they still think in terms of activating ESNs, etc. The idea of taking a SIM card, activating it, and putting it into a phone that isn't "theirs" is still foreign to them.

16. 7roca7 macrumors member

7roca7

like i said "a sale's man told me". I believe they will say anything. He didn't know there was an update for 9.0?
    One thing i just did, and don't know if i mean's a thing, but i went into setting's and under cellular was personal hot spot. Put in a T-Mobile sim (i'm on AT&T) went back to setting's and now under cellular was carrier. I tapped it and a button was green with the word automatic. I turned off the button and all the major carriers came up? Put back in my sim, and carrier was gone?

17. randian macrumors 6502a

No, I bought my AT&T model 6S "device only" (exactly what I said to the Apple Store CSR) and he never asked anything about my phone service. Cash (or in this case charge) and carry. I replaced the AT&T sim inside the phone with a T-Mobile sim before powering on the phone.

18. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

I pre-ordered mine for purchase at the Apple Store & paid mine in full cash & the genius dude didn't even ask for ID or anything.

You can go in the Apple Store & buy an iPhone no questions ask if you're purchasing & not activating the iPhone.

19. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

I guess mine is unlocked i hope. Will test when I get a chance.

I actually did a request unlock online through AT&T yesterday. 2 business days I will find out they're response lol.

20. Cubus X macrumors newbie

I purchased my iPhone 6S from an AT&T store on launch day at the full price, they said it would be locked but I can request an unlock that could take up to 14 days to process. When I got home I set it up and did the encrypted backup. I requested my unlock through AT&T's unlock portal and within a minute (if that) my request was granted. I am now rocking an official AT&T unlocked iPhone 6S.

21. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I ordered from Apple requested ATT and used att#, paid full price. When phone arrived it came with ATT Sim. When activating I received a pop up that said congrats your phone is now unlocked. I don't have any other provider sims to test, but have no doubts its unlocked.

22. elf42o macrumors newbie

nice digitalFX I plan on returning my VZN iPhone 6S and getting the AT&T iphone 6S 64gb model since it has band 30 I think it's worth it to me since I'm on Straight Talk which is a MVNO of AT&T.

23. bmustaf macrumors regular

My paid-full-price ATT phone unlock request was denied when I used the form, but I called in to their help desk to have the case investigated/escalated and less than 24 hours later got an email back saying essentially "yes, you're eligible for unlock, device will be unlocked within 24 hours, connect to iTunes", but whatever automated system is processing the web form doesn't have the smarts/logic to check/know you paid full price, it just sees an account still under contract and denies, apparently. Happened so fast it couldn't have been a manual review in there, whereas the request the rep filed took long enough that it probably had human intervention/logic in it...

24. elf42o macrumors newbie

So you're telling me I have to call AT&T and request for a sim unlock of my fully paid iPhone 6s that I purchased from the Apple Store? I don't get it I wish I had a T-Mobile nano sim to test it out with. I am reading mixed reviews on the forums.

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I ordered online from Apple with my phone number. I activated the new SIM. I didn't see any "congratulations" screen, but the phone is definitely unlocked. Popped in a Verizon sim and everything worked fine