Carrier AT&T iPhone cross upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by radiologyman, Aug 30, 2014.

1. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Does Att still allow to use upgrade on one line and activate on the other line? I was doing it every year but want to know if it still allowed. Thanks!

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The GSM carriers don’t have any control over that. You buy it, you activate it and then you swap SIM cards. Nothing has changed.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Though folks think the phone is on contract, it is actually the phone line. Do whatever you want with the phone including selling it. You have to keep the "line" for whatever period you signed up for. On the other hand, if you signed for a program that requires you to return the phone, well.... return it.

Meanwhile - the whole upgrade thing has changed considerably. Check YOUR account online, especially if you have switch to any of the new plans.

4. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

Check with your phone carrier just to make sure.

5. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on the old family plan with unlimited internet and fully subsidized upgrades. I'll call premier support.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Should be no prob.
    Nothing changed. All you gotta so is swap sims.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's worth noting that the phone's IMEI absolutely IS tied to your contract though. This is helpful if ever attempting to unlock through AT&T.

----------

And they don't even REALLY have to do that. AT&T has processed an upgrade on one line for me before without any sim swapping. This was good when my mom, who is on my wife and my plan, lived in CA, since that would have been a real drag lol.

8. cnotes2019 Suspended

I'm looking to upgrade my lines (two basic phones) to smartphones. Does AT&T allow me to upgrade to a smartphone pick 2gb data than switch back to basic phones dropping the data? I know verizon did up until 8/24/14. Thanks!

9. GoSh4rks macrumors 6502

I haven't heard otherwise. But this type of news isn't exactly easy to pick up on.

10. iRebound macrumors regular

I did the cross upgrade at the Apple Store last year for the 5s. You just choose the number that you want to upgrade and then you pick which line upgrade you would like to use. Very simple.