AT&T iPhone in Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by moonman239, Jul 18, 2012.

?

Which option do you recommend?

Poll closed Jul 21, 2012.
  1. Option #1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option #2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Option #3

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. Option #4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I'm researching my options here.

Option #1: Add an international data package (120 MB costs $30). Pros: Won't void warranty, is as easy as calling AT&T and is cheaper than paying AT&T's price/MB, depending on how much data is used. Cons: Pretty expensive and may risk losing unlimited data (which is a factor).
    Option #2: Go without a data package. Pros: Won't void warranty and will allow the service member to keep his or her unlimited data. Cons: Can be more expensive than option #1, depending on how much data is used
    Option #3: Unlock the phone so it works with a prepaid SIM card. Pros: Probably cheaper than options #1 & #2. Con: May void warranty, depending on whether the phone is unlocked via hacking software.
    Option #4: Avoid using the cellular connection and only use the Internet via WiFi.

2. Colombianito macrumors member

Option 1 and 2 are WAYYYYY too expensive.

Option 4 is only good if you have wifi, which all depends on where you are going to go.

I personally used option 3. I had an unlocked iphone 4 and popped in a local sim card. I could have family from the US call me with a phone card and I also used data to be online. I also had my ipad so I would just pop it in to that and be online with that.

OR they have $30 unlocked cheap nokia phones if all you want is to talk.

Dont know how the towers are now, but when I was there, at 6 they shut them off.

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I'd go with 3 and if you're going due to military orders you can get your iPhone unlocked for free and end your contract. If you want port your number to GV and keep the number.

4. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Pay up your AT&T contract and unlock it legally. If you are active military, they will unlock it anyway.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

You can also suspend you account for the duration of your tour, as long as it isn't over a year (i think?)

6. labman macrumors 604

labman

what's the situation if you are in the Military show proof to at&t and started to l unlock for the military as goodwill so i'd talk to them. also ig youare are out of contract. if you know this sorry but many people still don't know att has changed there policy's. i'd try them any way you might get lucky they can only say no.

7. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

AT&T actually has access to some DoD database, and will check it upon unlock request. If they can't find you, then you need to send your orders. They are definitely making it easier, and I think account suspension is a good option if they will do it, if you're grandfathered into a plan you don't want to lose.

8. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

The tower situation is not good in Afghanistan, but just send AT&T your orders and put your account on hold.

You'll be using DOD and contractor wifi mostly. Get friendly with Skype and don't plan on cellular service much, especially if you are a ground pounder.

Iraq has much better cellular infrastructure.

9. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Or get a gevey sim to unlock it if you suspend the account AT&T will take your unlimited away whereas verizon doesn't

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure the purpose of grevey here. AT&T will do a factory unlock if he's on orders.

11. 617aircav Suspended

I suspended mine from basic till 6 months after I came back from Iraq.

----------

AT&T don't have access to a dod database. Why would they. I suspended my account over the phone, no orders were requested. Depends on whom you talk to.

12. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Not sure when you did your. I suspended my account in 2005 and they didn't then. I had to fax my orders.

I had two friends go to Afghanistan just a couple of months ago and AT&T check their DoD access database or site to verify they were military and on deployment orders. I was right there while they were on the phone with AT&T. No orders needed to be sent in.

There is a very good chance they looked you up or the person on the phone took your word for it.

----------

In google I trust.

Source

13. nitemare macrumors regular

no orders are needed. AT&T will suspend your account for deployments. not all those who deploy recieve orders. when getting the AT&T FAN discount a .mil email address is required and you need to verify it is active. AT&T will unlock your iphone while still under contract if deploying, no need to pay an ETF. they unlocked my 4S for me when i deployed recently

14. mrbrown macrumors 6502

Like others have said, AT&T will unlock your phone for free since you are a deployed service member.

15. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Ahhh i thought they would only suspend on orders my mistake

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Everyone that deploys is on orders, maybe you unit didn't give you your? Check your iperms account if you're army.

17. nitemare macrumors regular

Navy Ships dont and units that deploy on ships dont recieve orders

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Each individual may not be given an order, but the unit will be given deployment orders based on a UIC. Then a Unit roster will accompany the unit deployment order.