AT&T is Going to Lose People

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 13, 2012.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

I WANT to stay with AT&T, I have grandfathered unlimited data. I have been a customer since the release of the Iphone 3G when I switched from Verizon just for the Iphone.

Now, the new Iphone has LTE and AT&T doesn't have it where I live. And I live not far from NYC, in Fairfield County CT. They have it about 20 minutes away in a city called Bridgeport. They have it in NY. Verizon LTE blankets my area.

Now, I don't need LTE immediately to stay with AT&T, but I need some info from them on when. I called customer care, they told me they don't know, were looking at the same coverage map I looked at online, then told me to call the local store.

Local store person "I don't know, but in a year everyone gonna have it anyway"

AT&T, I will attempt another call to you before pre-orders start. Please keep me as a customer.

2. imeth macrumors regular

bye bye go Verizon.. your fault for switching in the first place.. we all know it's going to Verizon.. this is what happens when you are not patient. Glad I live in a city where LTE is everywhere for AT&T. Love GSM over CDMA technology

3. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

They will catch up. Just like 3G that took forever to roll out which is now almost a standard.

I'm in a similar situation. Grandfathered with AT&T since the first iPhone, but in my area there is no LTE from anyone. Makes my choice to stay with AT&T easier.

4. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Just out of topic here. But does AT&T have LTE in New York ? I live in the manhattan uptown area..

5. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

I think AT&T needs to be able to let people know when LTE will be available to them. I believe they have a roadmap, and will cover much ground in the next 6 months, but IMO they need to be able to clearly communicate this to people.

A big selling point for the new iphone is LTE. One of the biggest advantages of having prior Iphones on AT&T was the speed difference of 3G, AT&T's being the fastest.

They are losing that advantage in areas where Verizon has LTE, which is already huge and growing.

I don't think I am the only person switching or considering switching due to LTE, and Verizon overall known for better service.

All I am asking them for is info. I am willing to wait 6 months for LTE if I know up front.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Better argument. At any rate, carriers are not keen on revealing rollout plans. They just give general areas, and if you happen to get it, good; else wait.

7. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I was in the same boat, and last week they put out a press release that they are going to have it in Detroit by the end of the year. I know I'll be on the edge of their initial coverage area, but good enough for me to know they will be in the area and expanding. I would expect expansion once they are in an area to be reasonably quick.

8. tys macrumors 6502

Here in Albuquerque, AT&T HSPA+ seems just as fast as Verizon LTE.
    Based on comparison between AT&T and Verizon iPads browsing the web.
    Part of the reason I suspect is that Verizon is much more popular here, so there are fewer iThings suckling at the AT&Teat.

9. epoch. macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same position as you. I've been with AT&T since they were Cingular and have a grandfathered "unlimited" plan which has been utter garbage anyway since they throttle you when you go over 3GB. Even when I'm not throttled, it's so slow and the service is real spotty.

Anyway, they claim to be bringing LTE to Pittsburgh (and several other markets) "by the end of the year" but I know how those kinds of promises go. I'm not going to drop several hundred on a new phone + re-up on a contract I'm not happy with to begin with only to have AT&T's LTE service fall apart.

They're just such a terrible company all around. I'm switching to VZW even though it will cost me more until my wife's at&t contract is up.

10. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

And Now I see this in the news:

With AT&T struggling to defend its decision to limit Apple's FaceTime feature to certain types of cellular data plans, Verizon Wireless last night revealed that FaceTime will be included in all of its data plans for no extra charge.

"All Verizon Wireless customers will be permitted to use the data-intensive application with no additional charges, including those remaining on unlimited data plans, according to a company spokeswoman," the Wall Street Journal reported. Verizon has confirmed to Ars that this is correct.

We already knew AT&T's plans for FaceTime, namely that the video chat feature won't cost any extra over cellular networks, but that it will require shared data plans. These plans can be more expensive, particularly for single users. AT&T claimed its decision does not technically violate the FCC's net neutrality rules, prompting our own Nate Anderson to write a classic post titled "AT&T, have you no shame?"

Are they trying to lose customers?