AT&T is just not trying when it comes to keeping customers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMikeT, Aug 23, 2012.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I have been an AT&T customer for the past 10 years, since the Cingular days. My contract for my iPhone 4 is officially up tomorrow. I just got off the phone with AT&T to ask what they are going to do to keep me as a customer and everyone I spoke to just didn't try.

I mentioned over and over that my biggest disappointment was in regards to the "unlimited" data plan that I am currently on and two of the reps I spoke to put me on hold to verify this with their supervisor. Seriously, how can anyone working for them not know about this? I was then told that I could switch to a tiered plan at full speed..... yeah right. :rolleyes:

After being passed around from rep to rep, the best offer I received was 6 months of free unlimited texting, that's it. Anything else was just a sales pitch for something I didn't want or need.

An experience like mine is why AT&T is going to lose customers like me when the next iPhone is released.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why does AT&T (or any other carrier) owe you anything? You are with them out of free will, no one has a gun pointed at you requiring you to buy service. People did it without celphones in the past, surely you can do so now.

You are not special.

3. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

AT&T wouldn't be there at all if it wasn't for its customers. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

People also did without a lot of things in the past. We don't need to go back to the past, we live in the present.

4. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Free will is an illusion. But that's a subject for another thread.

AT&T wouldn't be around if they didn't have customers paying for the service they provide. They need us more than we need them. And if the telecoms in this country were better regulated like they are in other developed countries (Canada, Europe, Australia), we the customer wouldn't be getting the shaft and having to make false choices when it comes to service.

----------

Gah, you beat me to it. :)

5. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

You guys would be surprised at the small amount of people who threaten to leave and actually do.

6. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Most people don't know any better and think it is normal to drop a call every 10 minutes.

7. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Elaborate please.

And by the way, I am serious about leaving. If T-Mobile gets the iPhone, I'll go with them. If not, I'm going with Sprint.

8. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

It's always more cost effective to keep satisfied customers than advertising and creating lowball promotions to get new customers. Perhaps you don't care too much about marketing and loyal customer satisfaction.

OP yes they should offer you some sort of loyalty in this competitive market of cell service. Your money follows your loyalty and out of their bottom line. if no deals can be had, in this free market you can shop and perhaps find a better service bundle.

9. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

10. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Be thankful we have the option now, remember before we only had AT&T.

11. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No company would be around if it weren't for customers, but you don't hear about IKEA or Walmart giving customers free stuff for shopping with them for over 10 years. I can go on and on.

Need is subjective to you.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Government, Government! That's all I see in your post. Too much regulation is a bad thing.

13. Scrub175 macrumors 6502

Scrub175

It's humorous how cut and dry some folks make things seem until it deals with them. I assume you have bad service you say nothing. Delivery is late ah no big deal that's the nature of delivery service. You're at their mercy because you opt to use their service. Wrong.

14. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Actually, as you know, that is location dependent. For me AT&T is the better carrier on my 3GS with zero dropped calls at home. On my 4S on Verizon, I can't even make call without it dropping. I'm canceling Verizon as soon as I can afford the ETF. I'm using the AT&T upgrade for the new phone.

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

No, but do IKEA and Walmart give you coupons from time to time? Also local grocery stores load coupons almost automatically onto your loyalty card. The ones here even give you gas points, and .10-$1 off of gas per gallon from time to time.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

ATT has been fine for me. Works everywhere - good customer service when I've had the rare problem. I'll stay where I'm at. I hope you find greener grass

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Not enough is also a bad thing. Do you want to wait 25 years to get an iphone on T-Mobile while the "market works itself out?" while every other country gets to have real freedom to choose whatever they please?

It seems that in America, freedom is only with the corporations, rather than with the people.

----------

I can actually say the same thing about AT&T here, It is all location dependent, but its ones who stay on carriers they don't like and keep renewing their contracts with them is what baffles me.

18. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree with everything you said 100%. It sucks how corporations like this string people along with introductory rates then gives them the shaft after signing the contract. You're stuck for two years then they don't even try to keep you beyond that.

In regards to telecoms in this country, the only thing I wish for is there to be even more competition. I have friends across the pond in Europe who are getting the same service I am getting here and then some, for 1/3 of what I'm paying monthly.

You got that right. The more options, the better.

----------

And this right-wing idea of too little or no regulation is even worse.

19. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

The market is working itself out without Government intervention. T-Mobile USA is bringing back unlimited data without throttling to try and gain customers. They will also take $10 off of your monthly bill if you bring your own device. They're doing this strictly because of competition. Metro PCS just announced nearly 97% of their network is now upgraded to LTE status. Again, competition made that happen. Virgin Mobile USA now offers iPhone service with unlimited messaging and throttled unlimited data with 300 voice minutes for $30 a month. Competition with other MVNOs made that happen.

Let the wallet drive change[no pun intended].

20. iMikeT, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Exactly. And that's the very black and white thinking that I see with some of these people who reply saying that people can simply go elsewhere. There are far too many shades of grey in the real world.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Yes in 20 years. I am not waiting 20 years for stuff that other developed countries get in 20 days.

If there wasn't government intervention, I am sure AT&T would have been the ONLY cellular provider in the US. The cost of entry is pretty high to start a cellular carrier, so there wouldn't be competition in that space for 10-20 years. Then while every other country excels past us in technology, we in the US get to be stuck at the stoneage while "Things magically automatically work out"...how fun...20 years for an iPhone!

Remember the Bell system days and you were required to rent a phone from your phone company on landline service?

We are too far advanced in tech to just "do without" while every other country gets to have the tech.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Everything I just posted is taking place right now as we speak. And name one Country that had a drastic market change in twenty days? Oh wait you can't. I'm tired of all these big Government supporters and OWS mindsets.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

So it AT&T were to be able to buy out T-Mobile, and even Verizon where would you go for cell service? Go back to not using one? While everyone else gets to get the freedom of choosing between multiple carriers, and true competition? Why can't I take my Verizon LTE SIM card and put it into an unlocked AT&T LTE phone and have it work? Why can't my Sprint phone work on Verizon (they are technologically compatible in this case!)

So we might as well go back to not using a lot of stuff, lets start with cars, computers, airplanes and so on. Lets go back to being simpletons, and not be an advanced country at all. In fact, lets go back to not even having any of the cool stuff we have today at all! After all, we did live in the past just fine right?

As for the 20 day market change, that was an exaggeration. But a lot of people think that just sitting and waiting twiddling their thumbs would be a just a-ok answer to problems with things you have no control over as a consumer.

24. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

and people wonder why these big companies raise prices.....

Apparently AT&T has been good to you since you've been a loyal customer for over 10 years. Now you're going to complain about not getting a good freebie and are gonna go leave to SPRINT? lol

Good luck with Sprint!

25. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

And I'm equally tired of fascist neo-con right-wing narrow-minded mindless drones that get all their (mis)information from Faux Noise, Rush limpball, and Glen boob.

----------

Thanks! :)