AT&T is ridiculous

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jd0513, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jd0513, Sep 14, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012

jd0513 macrumors member

I am eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade on October 13, 2012. I called ATT several times these last few days to see if they would push up my upgrade date. I was informed by all three people that it is standard ATT policy to give you a fully subsidized phone if you're within 30 days of your upgrade date. I even had a supervisor explain this to me, and she noted my account saying that I should get a fully subsidized upgrade. However, the only dilemma was that I would have to call ATT to preorder instead of being able to do it over the computer.

So i called ATT this morning, at 5:50 AM, and was on hold for a cumulative time of 3 hours and 40 minutes. Finally, I get someone on the phone, and she says that she cannot give it to me for the fully subsidized price, and that anyone I spoke to previously was wrong, even the supervisor who noted my account. I then spoke to 2 of her supervisors, who reconfirmed what she said.

I tried to explain my stance, which was that I have been with ATT for over 7 years, and that I have a $250 family plan with them. I stated that they should at the very least honor what one of their own supervisors told me, and that because of what this supervisor said, I have now wasted almost 4 hours of my life on the phone with ATT.

If I was told, no you have to wait until October 13 to get the phone, I would have never wasted my time today. But I was told otherwise and now I am completely annoyed.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

What everyone else has been doing is instead getting $250 SERVICE CREDITS to offset the higher upgrade cost. This is what they should of done for you but, nothing u can do now.

3. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

4. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Were you yelling?

I posted this in another thread (so this will be short version), but my GF's mom was able to get her's moved up by talking to the retention department. She preordered her this morning online.

Sometimes I swear a lot of it can be the luck of who you talk to and how their day is going.

5. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

The only thing in ts story that surprises me is that it took you 7 years it figure out AT&T customer service really blows.

6. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

To the two obnoxious people who commented on the misspelling of one word, sorry for spelling RIDICULOUS incorrectly.

I was not yelling at all. I was more than reasonable to each ATT rep I spoke to, because I understand how difficult it must be on them. However, when they're telling me they can't do something that they told me they would do, and which they've done for people on these forums, I was getting annoyed. Again, there was no yelling, just explaining my stance.

I will call them back tonight after work expressing my issue of what happened, and ask for some kind of resolution. Obviously at this point I won't be getting the phone next week, but they should at least do something else to fix the situation.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its only a month, at least you dont have to wait till May 2013 like many of us with the iphone 4S.

8. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

No there policy is to give it to you at the beginning of the month. Not 30 days.

My upgrade showed 9/21/2012 until 9/1/2012 then it changes to 9/1/2012..

Can't really get mad it is in your contract. Sorry you couldn't get them to budge but you will be able to upgrade on 10/1

9. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

Well several ATT people said 30 days, even a supervisor. At this point I don't care about when I actually end up getting the phone. I'm now thoroughly annoyed at ATT's utter incompetence and waste of my morning. For that they will have to pay!:mad:

10. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

In the end AT&T will always win.

I have no complaints, they have served me without flaw for over 10 years. They also fixed me up with two 64GB Black units this am

11. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

Yeah most of the people on the phones have ZERO idea of anything.... I'm just speaking from experience. I've always had my upgrade moved up to the first of the month on all 4 family lines. So 2 weeks isn't so bad. Stock might be better by then anyways.

12. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Why is this AT&T's fault? Didn't you authorize and agree to the terms of the original contract? :confused:

13. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

It's ATT's fault because of what I was told by three different people, and because of the supervisor who noted on my account that my eligibility date would be pushed up a few weeks.

Again, if I was told from the beginning that it would be impossible, I would have never spent my time trying to preorder. That is why it's ATT's fault.

14. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I bet these carriers absolutely hate when a highly anticipated device comes out. I'm sure they deal with your type of call all day.

15. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

The carriers who I pay $250.00 a month to? The carriers who I want to give $300 to so that I could be locked into another 2 year contract with? They have it so bad!!

What makes you so self-righteous?

16. Baldilocks macrumors member

You can't wait a few more weeks? Heck, many aren't going to receive them for 4-5 weeks now anyway.

You've waited this long, what's a few more weeks?

17. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I would call again (I know, I know), and tell them if they don't honor what the supervisor noted on your account, that you're going to cancel your whole account. Then you will get forwarded to retentions, which has the power to do something.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They're well known to give people different answers even if you call 5 different times.
    That's AT&T's reps for ya.

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Thanks for posting this info!

20. SHAWNYMAC macrumors member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i guess i am really lucky...my date was may of 2013 i called last week spoke to retention dept. they moved it up to oct 8/12 was happy than called two days ago and asked to be upgrade to the pre-order day....they said no problem i made sure they made notes...called last nite to confirm and they told me it was in there and someone will call u....well.....i called 6:45 this morning and they pulled the BS with me ...oh we made a mistake yada yada...i went off like a firecracker....they told me i had to wait till the phone was availabe on the 21 to order...nooooooo way mam.....i want to order now...she spoke to her supervisor and tada....i paid extra she prosmided me my phone will be here in two days....so we shall see....i am tracking it and it says being processed and they charged my credit card already....
    she also told me that fed ex and ups have dropped off the phones to their warehouse ....we shall see

21. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

I just called AT&T. My upgrade on one of my lines isn't until Dec 15 2012.
    She said she had to ask the manager, because usually if its in within like a 2 month period they let you upgrade fully. But because mine is almost 3 months she said she wasnt quite sure so she went to ask. The manager said "oh yeah, but as long as its after the 21st." I guess it has something to do with preorders? Anyway she explained to me that this aint the usual routine and its because of the new iPhone that there letting people around the 3 month period.
    I asked her to note my acct so whenever I call back they would know, she said that she would and that theres a huge memo for employees about this because its such a big thing going on and I shouldn't have a problem with someone knowing what I'm talking about when I call to order. So yup, all employees should know about the 3 month bump.

I'm happy now. Sure I have to wait, but oh well.
    btw I never had any problems with AT&T cust service, their the best IMO.

22. jd0513 thread starter macrumors member

Update: Called ATT after I got home. Upon telling them what happened, they apologized for the behavior of their reps earlier and said there is no reason why they should not have honored the earlier upgrade. They took my order, with the 2-3 week backorder timeframe. They also gave me a $50.00 credit and free shipping without my even asking. I guess it really is the luck of the draw on who you get.

23. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

That's a good news. :).