AT&T is ripping me off (and maybe you as well), help me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sevimli, Jul 6, 2009.

1. sevimli macrumors 6502a

I am a 2-week old customer, and have already hated AT&T!

Here is my story,

I placed my order on Premier (through my university) on 16th July.

After 1000s phone calls, my order finally got processed and shipped. The CSR override the "automatic order processing system" and did it manually with his supervisor.

I got my phones recently. I activated my lines etc.

Problems just started right after activation, even though I called and did my activation through the AT&T Premiere Support Line, I was told that I don't have a FAN account, and they couldn't see any employee information at all :eek::eek:

After trying to explain what I did 1-2 hours, I was just told that I need to add my FAN account manually and it would take 1-2 billing cycling! In fact, we placed this order with my roommate at the very same day, and he got all the discounts right after his activation :eek: but not me!

Then I logged into the AT&T myWireless page and registered my FAN account manually as CSR told me!

I thought that's it, i am done here, but wait, no way, AT&T liked me so much, that's why they excluded my iPHONE DATA PLAN from my discount!

Moreover, I placed my order seeing all those f****g discount! Even in my order confirmation email I got all those discounts on both data and voice plan clearly showing!

I know I should call them, I did, I called them 100 times, I was told that "NO DISCOUNTS" for apple! :eek::eek:

I am really tired, I need to study for my PhD qualification exam but instead I am doing this shoot!

Here is a screenshot of my confirmation email!

[​IMG]

What should I do? any comments?
    Going retail stores help on this?

2. bcooper0125 macrumors member

I have a FAN discount on my line, and it took about 2 cycles for it to show up. They verify employment (as far as I know), and that takes time.

Whoever told you that there are no discounts for iPhone lines is mis-informed. But that's typical of AT&T. Call another time, and you'll hear another story.

Your best bet is an AT&T retail store...they're much more helpful, and usually more informed than the CSR's on the phone, at least in my experience.

3. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try a retail store for sure!

Have you opened your account through the Premiere Store or you were existing AT&T customer, then joined to FAN? If it is the 2nd case, yeah you are 100% right, it will usually take 1-2 month.

On the other hand any accounts ordered through Premier Store are activated with discounts in place.

AT&T, why are you doing this to me????

Another quick question, if AT&T charges me more than what was on my original order, isn't it called the "breaking the contract terms"???? :confused:

4. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

The original iPhone and it's associated plan, did not qualify for FAN discounts.
    The 3G and 3GS PLANS do qualify.
    There is still no FAN discount for iPhone itself.

I opened my original AT&T account, pre-Cingular (customer for over 7 years) and even back then it still took months for the actual discounts to show up.

My company got the FAN discount bumped from 20% off to 23% off all services back in June and I was told it will not show up until my August bill.

That's just how AT&T rolls. Get used to it.
    BTW, they should have waived the activation fee. I would definitely call and get that removed.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Were you clutching your precious pearls as you wrote your email?

Your hyperbole astounds me.

BTW - if you called even dozens of times, they have that noted on your record. Not advocating for or against - but based on your post, I wouldn't be surprised if you're already tagged a problem customer lol

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

After calling 1,000 times, I bet AT&T hates you also. :)

7. sevimli thread starter macrumors 6502a

My hyperbole? lol

Have you ever ordered something for $X and when you got your package you saw that you got charge for $XX ??? What would you do then, let me guess, you would sit and try to be relax right?

I am sorry but i am not that reach!

8. samcraig macrumors P6

I assume you meant 16th of June and not July unless you own a time machine

First of all, you ordered a device HIGH in demand AFTER the launch date.

You didn't say when you got your phone - but I'm guessing it was about 2 weeks after you placed the order. As you said - you forced the issue with ATT.

I do believe some people who ordered around the time of the launch date are still waiting on phones and/or just got them.

But obviously you are too impatient and needed to have yours RIGHT NOW be damned.

1000s of phone calls? That's either hyperbole (look it up) or you're certifiably INSANE. Even if you called more than 5 times in one week that's a bit much given the frenzy over the demand for the device which you have to know and understand seeing as you're just as frenetic.

As for your discount. Since you have an email confirmation or printout - why not take it into an ATT store or call customer service and forward the email back to whoever you speak to so you can work these details out

You hate ATT? Doesn't take much does it. Not to mention - your issues are easily solved without hyperventilated post such as yours.

I can only imagine how you are on the phone with ATT....

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'd imagine you're going to really hate Apple when you have some of the issues others have had with their iPhone on these forums. Like dropping your iPhone in the pool and not being able to get a replacement? Or perhaps just dropping it on the ground and cracking the case? Or dropping it on the ground, cracking the case, and then having it fall in the pool? Or maybe you'll hate AT&T for this?

10. actorkid macrumors 6502

wait wait wait...so with my original iPhone I only recieved my FAN discount on my voice plan (so no discount on my data, texts, etc.)

are you saying that with the 3GS I can now get a discount on my data and text?

11. bcooper0125 macrumors member

They only discount the overall cost of the main line. It seems to fluctuate each month, on my bill, because AT&T can never seem to get me billed a consistent amount. Each month my bill is usually +/- $10 from the previous months bill. It's rather irritating. All you'll see on your bill is "National Service Discount" on the main line. It's only one discount, usually covering the taxes, in my case...or 60-70% of the data plan fee ($30).

And to add to the "problem customer" comment from samcraig - I'll say that AT&T reps on the phone almost immediately tag you as a problem customer if you call for corrections on your bill. I'm labeled as one because my mom's iPhone somehow keeps downloading MEdiaNet applications (according to them), and I keep getting charged for them...even though AT&T has admitted it's their fault. Last time I went into the store near my house, I saw the screen with it in big red letters at the top of my account. So pick your battles wisely. As I said, the reps in store are nicer, and usually more helpful.

Attached Files:

12. ski2moro macrumors 6502

This tactic works for AT&T and difficult CSRs everywhere

Please calm down.

Although I don't have a high opinion of AT&T Customer Service people in general, and I have my own war stories, know that

Everything Will Work Itself Out!!!!!

First, Calm yourself before you call AT&T. Tell them that you have had problems getting your account set up and "Each Person That You Have Spoken With Is Giving You A Different Story." Tell this person that you are not mad at him/her personally, but you are frustrated. You want to get the account straightened out.

Apologize in advance for your anger if it comes out in this call.
    Tell them you are frustrated.
    Tell them you know it is not his/her fault.
    Use words like WE (as in "How can WE get this straightened out") This engages both of you to work together.
    Do what they say.

Second, make a note of the day and time of each call. Note the name of the person you speak with.

Then, follow through with what they say to the letter.

Wait a month.

If you are still having problems after a month, there are ways to get to the upper management to resolve this. If you have all the days and times of the calls, have made copious notes regarding the conversation you had with which CSR at what time, they will listen.

If you come across as angry and making threats, YOU WILL GET NOWHERE!!!!!!!!

And if you are nice and organized and have notes and dates and times, AND if your problem is not resolved in a month, there is a very good chance that the upper management will give you some goodies and an apology - like refunds for monthly service and extra minutes and things like that.

Being nice can pay off in the long run.

If you still have problems after a couple of months, PM me and I will tell you how to get to upper management if you cannot figure it out yourself.

13. thep33t macrumors regular

If you have the guts you should refuse to pay the extra amount, it is illegal for them to overcharge you and you do have the law on your side, however, it can cause alot of pain for you to do the right thing until it all settles out...

14. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

If your original iPhone was the primary line on the account, you did not receive any FAN discounts at all. You only got a FAN discount on the Voice portion if it was not the primary number on the account.

Yes, the 3G and 3GS qualify for FAN discounts on Voice, Data and Messaging services.