At&t just flipped on LTE in Birmingham, Al

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ajones330, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

My work phone just magically appeared to have 4gLTE and the speeds are pretty impressive. This is just in time for the iPhone launch.

Attached Files:

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Is your Wifi not on? (Not familiar with recent Android OS)

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I just so happen to work in downtown Birmingham. This is fantastic news!!

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

Yes it is :) :D Now how many years before it makes it down to Mobile

5. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

If its anything like 3G rollout....it'll be 2-3 years before it reaches my home town 45 minutes northwest of Birmingham

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I was thinking more like 4 to 5 but I feel your pain

7. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yea I had nothing but Edge until around 2 years ago or less. Although I was on wifi at home of course. But man, edge in 2010 is like dial up these days. It's pointless to even attempt to use.

----------

Actually you're correct. 3G was turned on October 2006 in Birmingham (I know because I worked for Cingular/AT&T)

Wasn't until 2010 it made it 45 minutes northwest.

8. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I'm your neighbor to the north (live in Huntsville), and based on AT&T's website, I had just assumed that it wasn't going to happen for another 6 months or so for Birmingham (glad to hear it hit today)!!

Sadly enough, they don't have Huntsville listed on their plans of adding LTE any time in the near future, so while I preordered an iPhone 5 for AT&T, I am planning to pick one up from Verizon on 9/21 to give it a spin and see if I *need* the LTE (not to mention AT&T has a lot of annoying dead spots here in very populated areas). If I like Verizon, then I'll just cancel the AT&T preorder and pay the ETF.

I hate to give up my Unlimited data plan with AT&T...but it will be worth it since AT&T clearly has no plans of adding Huntsville to their LTE map any time soon.

9. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I'm in the Huntsville area twice a month to see one of these girls I'm dating :p

I figure Huntsville would be getting it soon after bham

10. nws0291 macrumors 6502

Same speeds I have been getting down here for a couple months. Very fast and very reliable. Just as fast as my comcast 20Mbps service.

11. Ajones330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

No its just showing that connections are available...

12. thehopscotch macrumors regular

thehopscotch

I would have thought they might...but they aren't on the list of cities coming to AT&T LTE in the near future, so who knows. I think I may call them to see if they have a date for Huntsville. If it is just a few months out, that's one thing...but I don't want to sit with an iPhone 5 for a year+ with no LTE network to use!

13. wknapp0924 macrumors 6502

Awesome, they say ours will be on in Honolulu by end of the year. I hope it is sooner than later now!! Cant wait.

14. carrako macrumors regular

awesome news indeed. Couldn't come at more perfect time... Friday cant come soon enough