AT&T Larger capacity= quicker delivery?

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
A fellow poster posted this on the neverending apple reserve thread.
Perhaps going to your provider and ask if they can order a phone for you. This may be faster than going through Apple. Some carriers may trade in your iPhone 4/4S for credit towards a new iPhone. I ordered my two iPhone 5 64G black on 10.09.2012 and both arrived on 10.12.2012. Employee states perhaps the reason our phones arrived sooner than if I had ordered the 16GB or 32GB is there my not be much demand for the 64GB model.
I greatly appreciated his post and wonder if anyone else who ordered a 64GB AT&T found that they received theirs quickly due to lower demand?
thanks

YaBoiD

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2011
I've been hearing and reading of a few cases where they 64GB versions are being shipped and delivered within 3 business days. I know 2 people who got it next business day. Check out the option to pick up at the store too on the Apple website between 10pm-4am your local time. Good luck!

Comment

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I've been hearing and reading of a few cases where they 64GB versions are being shipped and delivered within 3 business days. I know 2 people who got it next business day. Check out the option to pick up at the store too on the Apple website between 10pm-4am your local time. Good luck!
Yah, have done that for several nights. I'm just pondering my options now, since there's no sunday delivery for Monday pick up (at my apple store).

GAH I wish I'd never returned my AT&T ip5 to try Verizon. Biggest tech mistake of my life.

Comment

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
A fellow poster posted this on the neverending apple reserve thread.

I greatly appreciated his post and wonder if anyone else who ordered a 64GB AT&T found that they received theirs quickly due to lower demand?
thanks
it's because the average user only uses the iPhone for maybe 5 albums but never more than 7gb worth of music, instagram, twitter, facebook, texting and phone calls. So naturally people want a 16gb, and because it's the cheapest, 32gb is reserved for the more spacey guy. They take a lot of pictures and have a lot of music on their phone
64gb's are for power users who need everything on their phone, there aren't a lot of them so naturally demand for the 64gb is low, no matter what the ship dates say online.

Comment

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
it's because the average user only uses the iPhone for maybe 5 albums but never more than 7gb worth of music, instagram, twitter, facebook, texting and phone calls. So naturally people want a 16gb, and because it's the cheapest, 32gb is reserved for the more spacey guy. They take a lot of pictures and have a lot of music on their phone
64gb's are for power users who need everything on their phone, there aren't a lot of them so naturally demand for the 64gb is low, no matter what the ship dates say online.
And you've ordered one and gotten it quicker? That was my question. I understand why it MIGHT Be the case.

Comment

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
And you've ordered one and gotten it quicker? That was my question. I understand why it MIGHT Be the case.
I won't speak for him, but as a 64GB iPhone 5 owner, I did in fact get mine quicker than many others. I ordered mine maybe a few days after the official presale date. I got the phone within 2 weeks. I read about many others who preordered before I did, and didn't get their phones as soon as I did. I preordered through AT&T Premier and it was for a white 64GB model.

Comment

tymaster50

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2012
New Jersey
I haven't ordered it, I wanted it but it wasn't at radioshack, but yeah it should come quicker, AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon have plenty of them, it's the 16gb's that are running low.

Comment

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I won't speak for him, but as a 64GB iPhone 5 owner, I did in fact get mine quicker than many others. I ordered mine maybe a few days after the official presale date. I got the phone within 2 weeks. I read about many others who preordered before I did, and didn't get their phones as soon as I did. I preordered through AT&T Premier and it was for a white 64GB model.
Two weeks is what I'm hoping to avoid. Thanks though.

Comment

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
actually, the reason why i decided to purchase the handsets is because AT&T offered $310 trade in credit for both devices. Despite the trade in value being low, I didn't want to deal with eBay, Craigslist, etc...

Comment

Kaze105

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
My 32 GB was shipped a lot faster than those who ordered the 16GB from what I read in the pre-order thread.

Comment

thenaes

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
I ordered a 32GB AT&T phone from Apple on 10/18... thinking I should have ordered it direct from AT&T instead in hopes of getting it faster because I have been reading the same thing... but 64gb shipping right away is crazy.

Comment

qawsed27

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
You'd probably get it quicker. Honestly, who gets the 64gb anyway? People who stole a crapload of music when Napster was around and people who have to have the biggest best because their self esteem is low. 64Gb? They're like the electronic version of hoarders.

Comment

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
You'd probably get it quicker. Honestly, who gets the 64gb anyway? People who stole a crapload of music when Napster was around and people who have to have the biggest best because their self esteem is low. 64Gb? They're like the electronic version of hoarders.
Wow, rude, myopic and judgmental much?
I had a 64GB ip4 and briefly had a verizon Ip5 64gb.
And I used most of it.

Oh, and I never stole music.

Now, run along and enjoy your 16 gigabytes.

Comment

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
I can confirm that this is true. I ordered a 64gb i5 on Saturday and it actually shipped out today. I was totally surprised by the email stating that it was shipped. It's suppose to be arriving tomorrow! :D

Comment

DaMarkSta

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
I would order from your carrier if your planning on a 32/64 they are shipping much faster that way, ordering from apple seems to take a month, I canceled a Oct 3rd order from apple on the 18th, ordered a 64 white on the 18th from Verizon and it shipped out today the 21st :) ill have it Wednesday the 24th so excited :) when the original apple estimate was nov2-8

Comment

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
Seems like the 64gb models through AT&T are shipping quickly. I ordered a 32GB on 10/1 and am still backordered, so the 32 and 16 models must be in much higher demand.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.