AT&T let me upgrade 2 months early.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Urmissingthe, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Urmissingthe macrumors newbie

Ok so i have a samsung captivate that is starting to freeze up and turn itself on and off. I really needed a new phone but my contact isn't up until dec 15. So I just gave AT&T a call saturday asking for a upgrade to an iPhone and they told me I would have to pay $250 plus a $36 activation fee. I already knew all of this so I just said its for my mother as a birthday gift an the woman said hold on and she put me on hold. 10 minutes later she comes back and says she asked the manager an he said it was ok to let me upgrade but I would have to wait till Monday (today) to do it so I said ok and gave her my number. Fast forward to today and there was a man that called with a very heavy accent I could barely understand, he says sorry but we are calling to tell you that one of our employees made a mistake you really aren't supposed to be upgrading till your contracts up. So I get upset an say she has already told me that I can upgrade and that you have to honor what she told me. He puts me on hold for near an HOUR and comes back asking if would like a galaxy s3 instead. I said no I don't like androids they freeze up an don't run like they did when you first purchase them. He puts me on hold AGAIN for around 30 minutes. He comes back saying that they had to call apple an all this blah but that they would let me upgrade to an iPhone 5, plus I asked if they could waive the activation fee an they did surprisingly after I already put them through so much trouble to get the phone haha. So if you want to get an iPhone early without paying the early upgrade fee tell them it's a birthday present and make sure you get a employee that doesn't know what they are doing .

2. JAT macrumors 603

That is so sweet of them to take your money now, and earn interest on it themselves instead of forcing you to do so!

3. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

This proves that complaining, no matter how immoral it is does get you somewhere in life.

4. Urmissingthe thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right but I needed a new phone. Im still surprised they would let upgrade though. Especially after reading all the failed attempts of people trying to upgrade early on here. I just got lucky I guess.

5. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Did you not try restoring it

6. Noisemaker Guest

No, you *wanted* a new phone. You could have fixed the other one with a restore if you really wanted to.

Though, I'm biased. I'm someone who values my time enough to not waste hours trying to con my way into talking someone into letting me hand them money.

The irony is that it will probably sit on back order until sometime in November, perhaps even longer if they decide to screw with you for being a pain in the ass. So you literally might end up waiting just as long after going through all that. I get a kick out of that.

7. Urmissingthe thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes but it was still laggy an would turn on and off. Overall it was just not a good android experience like many claim it to be. Thats why I'm switching to the iPhone because of the smoothness of the OS.

----------

They said it would ship within 2-3 business days an the phone has already shipped according to UPS.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

Complaining is immoral?

I can see if someone's stealing, or walking around the streets naked or something. But complaining?

9. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Good job, you got lucky usually they don't do that

10. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

lied saying it was a gift for his mother, then when the obviously more informed rep told him that they can't do that he made a big issue out of it. They shouldn't have given him that at all and someone will likely get hell for it.

11. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Seriuosly?
    Go play elsewhere.

12. Novablas macrumors member

Lol I got my upgrade a full 4 months early from AT&T. Basically I kept asking for managers until they finally let me.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Funny, I talked to AT&T a few years ago after my 4 was stolen, didn't lie, complain, threaten or ask them and they gave me discounted pricing. See, being honest and not lying or trying to "screw the man" also works, but is much less fun to brag about online. Also if you really "needed" a new phone you wouldn't have a problem fulfilling the contract you signed to get it, or to pay the appropriate price for it.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I am not sure what you all mean by early upgrade....
    AT&T is keep saying 199 + 250 dollars. I can always fight on upgrade fee of 36.00 dollars. However, AT&T refuses to honor 250 dollars.

Also, when they honor the money, do they put credits on your bill?

Or do they charge less for the phone?

This is very confusing because it is all negotiable. I don't think all of you guys are complaining. You are all negotiating.... honestly.

15. JAT macrumors 603

I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my comment.

16. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Maybe not how it was intended.