AT&T LIARS! (refurbished iphone purchase story)

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by j5045096, May 24, 2008.

1. j5045096 Guest

So Wed. May 21 I place an order for an 8gb refurbished iPhone...order placed at about 12:30pm. Confirmation of order sent to my e-mail address immediately. It is Saturday May 24 at 12pm and still no shipment tracking #. Credit card charge of $266.+/- is now gone from my bank account.

I have called AT&T at the following numbers: 866-391-0749 and 866-499-8008. Automated system says order has been activated and will ship within 24 hours. Well, by the time Thursday night rolled around and I realized I was hearing that SAME message I decided to start calling. Was told my order was pulled and processed and was sitting at the warehouse waiting for a courier to pick it up. Same was told to me Friday morning, afternoon and evening and just now as I spent 2 hours on the phone with customer service yelling at them for flat out lying to me about my order. One rep said order had been cancelled; rep #2 said order had not been cancelled but they were having issues with this orders and get this: HE SAID TO ME...YOUR ORDER IS ON OUR WAREHOUSE WAITING FOR A COURIER!

I flat out told him I didn't believe him; had heard this line before and got nothing but the scripted nice answers they give their reps to say. I said so when Tuesday rolls around and I still don't have the phone and I call up only to hear this excuse again what should I do...better yet, what would YOU do in this situation. He says "well by Tuesday if you've waited that long we'd probably get you over to (forgot who he said)". I responded--"so by ordering this past Wed. I haven't waited long enough?" ...when the web site said 2 day shipping.

When I ordered the phone they said it would be in my hands in 3-5 business days--to which I thought "what happened to 2 day shipping?" LIE When I ordered I got a confirmation saying "total due now $249." no mention of tax. Got the charge on my account -- $266+/-? ...I don't mind paying tax but once again LIE. And now I have called at least 4 times to be told that my order had been processed and was in the warehouse. LIE LIE LIE.

Has anybody else had this experience?

By the way, I'm a 5 day AT&T customer using an old RAZR while I waited for my iPhone. Came from Verizon where in 3+ years never had one thing to complain about re: customer service. If something like this had happened they would have had a brand NEW phone delivered to my hotel room that day if that's what it took (I'm on vacation in a hotel). I can understand order delays but to be continuously fed talking points that simply aren't substantiated?

2. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

So you're a brand new customer, and you're shipping to a location other than the verified address on your credit card?

Yeah, you are going to have problems getting that order processed. If you want to make it easier, you should call your credit card company and tell them what you are trying to do so they can add the address on temporarily as a verified address. Then the order will process with no problem.

3. j5045096 thread starter Guest

who said I was shipping to another address than my credit card billing address? I followed the directions on AT&T's web site and I read all the forums before that said not to do that--I can read.

4. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

2 day shipping means that once they ship your order, it will arrive in 2 days. It doesn't mean they will ship it within 2 days of ordering either.

They may have dropped the ball on your order, but I'd be more inclined to think that the employee that told you that your order was cancelled fat fingered the order number or something or was just an idiot.

5. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

It seems a bit unreasonable to be all bent out of shape because something you ordered Wednesday wasn't in your hands by Saturday, when it states it will take 3-5 business days. And then you spent 2 hrs yelling at strangers over this? Apparently you don't understand the difference between 2 day shipping and 2 day delivery. I would suggest waiting 3-5 business days.

:confused:

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

3-5 Business days from a Wednesday = anytime from Monday to the following Wednesday. 2 day shipping couriers typically will not pick up on Saturdays or Sundays, meaning that it's likely going to be picked up to ship on Monday, and arrive at your place Tuesday or Wednesday.

Chill the heck out.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

Ummm...you did. Or we are misreading your post.

Not saying AT&T didn't hose you, but you did say you are trying to get it shipped to you at your hotel on vacation. Many companies simply won't ship to hotels or unverified addresses. I used to tour for a living, so I lived in hotels, a different one every week for 7 1/2 years. Sometimes it was impossible to buy something and have it shipped to me.

8. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

No need to get snippy we aren't secretly working for AT&T or anything.

You know i think you may have just been caught in a glitch so when you ordered they ran out directly before hand.

This is why I hate purchasing anything from large corporations when the little guy will just check the damn shipment by hand to find out what is going on rather than lead you around the block by the hairs on your nads at a high price.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP: You're completely unreasonable and clearly confused. You ordered something Wednesday at 12:30 p.m. and it's not in your hands? You then proceed to make people's lives miserable on the phone because you do not understand the basic idea behind purchasing something that will take 2 days to arrive after it ships? Nice job buddy.

When grown ups order something online that says "2-day shipping" that usually means that the item will take 2 days to arrive from the warehouse after it ships. There is time spent processing the order and more time if the customer's card has issues, like you did. When the order ships, if it does not arrive in 2 days then I suspect you have some right to be upset, I mean if this sort of thing really upsets you that much. It is such a shame that you will go so upset over something so frivolous. Not to mention, it is not like you're not going to get your damn phone so the money being taken today or tomorrow doesn't matter.

Sorry you think AT&T lied to you but I am more sorry for the people who had to endure your wrath. You do realize that the people you're speaking to don't really care about you when you act like that right?

10. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

The cell phone companies suck. Everybody knows this. You should have bought from the Apple Store, which is a much better experience. And when Apple told you that they were sold out you would have thanked them for keeping you from buying a product that will be replaced in about 3 weeks.

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Sorry to hear about this experience. If you've covered your basics, (ie ship to verified address) it shouldn't take longer than a week and a half if ordered over a weekend. I've never had this kind of trouble. Or on the few occasions I had something remotely similar in difficulty, I usually went to my nearest Verizon store and layed my account and my business on the line. Great results, especially as a new customer. I had a real ****** phone, and had a bit of trouble, but I had purchased from the store itself. Back then I think I had 14 days or something and they were hollering about replacement phones or something. Turned out they were willing to deal without raising voices too much.

Now, I dont know how this would work when you ordered online. I know Verizon has been real helpful, and this last time I upgraded i had a minor dispute about online/in-store pricing, but being a longtime customer I had some leverage (which many people can unfortunately not say that in this day/age).

If all else fails try going into a nearby store, and asking an employee. I know they have little or no control over what happens regarding online sales, but in m experience its been good to just talk to someone for advice. Verizon actually got back in touch with me when I had trouble with an online order and it was resolved successfully. It never hurts to ask.

Now, Asurion insurance was a whole other experience, and it was quite similar to yours now that I recall. I had a replacement phone "sent" only to discover that colour was not in stock and they were having a hard time not lying to me about it. Not that I cared about colour, but lies I dont take lightly. They tried to tell me "Its similar to auto insurance. Getting your car repaired, it could be a little bit different colour." My response was bitter, as he was completely arrogant of the fact that I have a family business dealing with both insurance and auto repair on a daily basis. That made me twist off a bit. But (this is rather long post...) but in a nutshell, if something goes wrong, work through it has been my motto. But if there is dishonesty....

I've also, as others have mentioned, been polite at first, and only when need be get harsh. Stay firm if you think you're right. But dont expect them to view it the same.

Oh, Memorial Day is almost here. Hurray for shipping delays :/

PS: I've never had processing time take over a week. A company in Hong Kong nearly had trouble with that before i reminded them to ship my order. But I've never ordered a refurb before either. As someone said, perhaps you ordered before the system realized it was out of stock. That I think is one of the most logical explanations. Remember, polite + firm and you have to be willing to listen. Just my customer advice I've developed over the years.

12. isimon1207 macrumors member

I used to have to walk 8 miles in the snow to get my iphone!

\old grandpa voice

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But it is summer time now, and I think some people get a thrill with the guy in little brown shorts delivering a package. :cool:

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yeah seriously. If its not working out, don't force a relationship ;) Don't leave yourself screwed, however. Make sure to take your number with you.

15. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

You did.

16. j5045096 thread starter Guest

I'm not expecting them to SHIP TO THE HOTEL! I'm expecting to have a shipping # so I know WHEN it will be at my house next week?

...and the reason I'm bent out of shape is not a mess up in the order, it's the fact that 4 different customer service reps have told me on successive days that the phone was already boxed up and processed and just waiting for the courier to pick it up from the warehouse. Does DHL only come every 7 days?

17. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I think his original post isn't too clear. My interpretation is that he was ranting that Verizon was so great that they would have accommodated his vacation plans, going the extra yard. I think he means though that it is being delivered to his house, but since he's on vacation he's wanting a new toy when he gets back, and this in a sense is raining on his parade.

EDIT: I doubt Verizon would have shipped to hotel w/o messing up somewhere ;)

And if they were so great, why are you leaving?

18. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since they are nowhere near the shipping facility, all they can do is read the info that comes up on their screen.

I don't consider that lying. :rolleyes:

19. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

does DHL have a van big enough to carry thousands of iPhones from the iPhone warehouse, to DHLs sorting depo... its going to be first come first serve, and I would guess that cheap refurbs are in high demand at the moment.

And if your not at home, why does it matter if it arrives today, tomorrow or whenever it is that you get home. As long as its there by the time you get home be happy.

Also im assuming, but the way you've worded it it seems that your account wasnt charged until the friday, which means shipping wont start until the next working day. That would be monday. No company is going to ship their products without the money secure in their accounts.

20. j5045096 thread starter Guest

What I said was that Verizon in the past HAS made things right in a quick and timely fashion. I never said I ordered the phone to be delivered to a hotel! I said that if Verizon had messed up they would have admitted it (based on past experience with them) and they would have not done customer-NOSERVICE but rather would have offered something to make it right.

My whole problem with AT&T is NOT that I didn't get the phone Friday; it's that they charged my card and four reps told me the order had been processed and was waiting for a courier--and then today had another rep. say the order was cancelled. All I want as a customer is for somebody to say "I don't know" if they don't know--not to say one thing that they have no basis for (like phone is waiting for courier).

I really think you all our misunderstanding me here and for the record I was extremely polite for the first 4 phone calls AND for the first hour I was on hold today. There were times I was on hold for 15 minutes at a time with no rep. checking in to make sure I was still on the line. Every 15 minutes the guy would say "still researching your order" and would immediately cut out. I asked him once if he would take my number and just call me when he was done and he said he was not able to do that.

If I was running a business that would not have been an unreasonable request. You all think I'm attacking AT&T and the ordering dept. -- that's not the case; I'm upset because they were not very considerate to a customer with legitimate questions.

If that makes me a "noob" or "unable to shop like a grown up"...? All I want is some honesty and for them to simply say "you know what, we messed up - we're having some issues with our billing/ordering dept and we're going to fix it and make it right and make sure your order is processed in a timely fashion." If I had heard that once in the past four days I would have been more than happy.

21. j5045096 thread starter Guest

Thank you - you ARE understanding what I posted and you're about the first person to read all of this that has. Of course I was exaggerating about the hotel point with Verizon - just saying that they have done a great job in the past of righting wrongs ...and fast. They were great - my issues with Verizon were only that they don't have the iPhone! ...and I'm not able to use my phone in Central America (the only Verizon option would be the Blackberry world phone I guess but I definitely liked the iPhone better). When I called Verizon to tell them I was leaving I actually apologized if you can believe that!

22. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Never specified the lying part. I have though found in my personal experiences a trip to the store helps. But I did say that they have little or no control. They could however arrange for him to get a temporary phone to hold him over, if his "old" Razr isn't performing well. That's kind of what I meant. Sorry for not being to clear. Then again, I've never dealt with AT&T personally, just going by what I know from Sprint and Verizon.

EDIT for OP: Try going into an AT&T store. Perhaps they can fix you up with a temporary phone.

23. j5045096 thread starter Guest

My account was charged within 2 minutes of placing the order on Wednesday. We're gone for the weekend (Sat.-Mon.) -- if I knew the phone was coming Tuesday that would be a-ok. Again, I'm just trying to figure out why I have no confirmation # of anything and then now why my credit card charge has been erased!

TO GO BACK TO WHY I POSTED THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE--am I the only one that has had this experience in buying a refurbed iPhone-- can I assume that everybody else got theirs in just a few days AND were giving tracking #'s? If so, please speak up!

24. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

If it's erased perhaps this is a sign from above. I understand that you want to make sure you wont have a mysterious charge later, and as a financial person, it can be worrisome.

25. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm willing to bet they ran a verification hold on your account for the amount of the purchase, to make sure that you would be able to pay. These holds typically drop off in 3-5 business days.

Please stop freaking out.