AT&T lost my data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by burnhakp, Sep 22, 2012.

1. burnhakp macrumors newbie

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 with a grandfathered unlimited data and unlimited messaging. Upon activating my iPhone, I noticed I had no data. I called AT&T. At first, they said I did not activate it properly. Because I was unlimited data, I needed to call in to activate my phone. I called that bull and said I did the iTunes activation as their website said. Next they tried to tell me that I did not transfer my plan from my old phone to my new phone. I again called that bull. How can I have an iPhone without a data plan? And if it did not transfer then why did my voice plan?

In the end I ended up getting a temporary 3gb data plan and having them throw unlimited messaging back on while "they look in to it".

I am not impressed.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I thought if you purchased a subsidized phone, you'll lose your unlimited plan. Did you upgrade or pay full?

3. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

That was with Verizon. AT&T allowed us to keep our unlimited status, even with the sub pricing.

4. dazex macrumors member

No, AT&T will allow you to upgrade to the LTE unlimited plan if you were grandfather in. They are actually doing the right thing this time around. Something went wrong with your upgrade process.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks, I wasn't sure - I wasn't under ATT's unlimited data plan and I jumped ship.

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me, the store said it was a glitch. The lady that I spoke to on the 1-800 number said that they changed it in the store. You have the option of filing a claim yourself, and that takes 1-3 business days, or to go back to the store and have them reverse it on the spot.

Just go back to the store and they'll change it back for you. They'll code it as "9999GB Data Plan." Literally took 5 minutes.

7. magicbrain macrumors regular

fight

fight with them. threaten you'll leave (within 14 days you only have to pay the difference to the full price of the phone), unless they give you your grandfather plan back.

they are scum and have tried those shenanigans with me over and over again, until i've decided i refuse to be treated like a chump - a loyal 5 year customer!

i've switched to h2o / straight talk - which is ironic, 'cause they use att's network - i get "4G" - but at $45-50 / month _with_ taxes (they throttle you at 2gb, but talk / text is unlimited). and i couldn't be happier. i'm saving $600/ year over attFail, while using their network, so now i can buy unlocked iPhone - every year without a hassle!
    (i haven't tested yet if either of those MVNOs support LTE, but i've heard that they do)

ps: if you need more data, ipad's $25/m plan is great or a hotspot (click cancel link below for more details)

8. burnhakp thread starter macrumors newbie

They told me they'll let me know by October 2nd and that I might not get it back still....

9. isaki87 macrumors regular

Thats BS, just go into an ATT store and they'll straighten it out for you.

10. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

I have the same issue but apparently it was due to an AT&T "system glitch". I did a cross upgrade yesterday and everything went fine. The agent was knowledgeable and when done, I did #DATA* and it showed my unlimited data- so did att.com.

This evening I get an email from AT&T saying that I changed my address, which I didn't so I log into my account and see that my UNLIMITED plan has magically switched to the 300MB data plan.. WTF??

I call CS right away and the rep tried to add it back as he sees that Ive been grandfathered for years but the system won't let him. So he opens a ticket that should be "resolved" on Oct. 2. I asked to speak to a Manager as well becasue the rep seems incompetent. Get on the phone with the Manager and then the call drops... he doesnt call me back.

So I call back and get a very nice agent. She assures me that this happens all the time and I will definitely be getting my unlimited back. She moves me to the 3GB plan as a tide over but says that I won't be charged for any data charges this month due to the glitch. She says that she will also call me on the 3rd to confirm.

I hate leaving my fate in the hands of AT&T but as of now I see no other workaround. We'll see when the 2nd rolls around what happens and then I'll take the next step. It's just so frustrating to have to spend hours on the phone to get back what was originally yours. Hopefully it all works out.

11. kentsommer macrumors member

I never had unlimited data on ATT, just finished chatting with someone on Data support on the ATT website and she added unlimited data :)

12. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

Unlimited data is not really unlimited

just saying!

WE used to have the unlimited data plan for iPhone ( got it 2006).
    i switched and lost it but my wife still enjoys it on her iPhone 4S.

i don't know the limit now, it used to be 5GB then some sales rep said 3GB earlier.
    You won't get billed for the overage, but you will feel the "slowing down" so to speak.

13. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I bought my iPhone 5 subsidized and didn't lose my unlimited data, as did thousands of others on these threads. Fight hard! Don't let them take away your data!

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

DONT wait that long. Call back and talk to someone else or go to the store. Same thing happened to me last year, but they put me back on it the same day. If you wait and dont get a call back you probably wont get it back at all.

15. sydia21 macrumors regular

sydia21

With AT&T you could buy a subsidized phone and keep unlimited data, not Verizon. We are talking about AT&T.

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Not possible however you might have gotten lucky.

17. al821 macrumors newbie

att lost my data plan as i was upgrading as well. the store said they couldnt do anything to bring it back so and i called customer support. they said it will take at least week and a half to two weeks for a resolution. she said dont worry about my data plan going over.

18. ralturki macrumors newbie

mmmm, I just went to the website to chat with the data support, I got this:

Data Support

Hours of Operation:
    M-F: 8 a.m.-11 p.m. ET
    Sat: 9 a.m.-9 p.m. ET
    Closed Sunday

19. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

When I dialed *data# and got the text message it says this:

Data (MB) 34.24 of Unlimited
    Data (MB): 260.73 of Unlimited (Deactivated)

Why the heck does it say "(Deactivated)" ??? :mad:

Edit: I have 2 phones on my account so I'm not sure if it's showing the 2 phones or if the 'deactivated' one is for my old iPhone. I'm thinking it's the former because there's no way I've only used 34.24mb on my new iPhone 5.

20. al821 macrumors newbie

i got that too. hopefully everything will be worked out. if not im cancelling all my lines

21. karsal macrumors member

Exact same thing happened to me, except I actually called in and activated over the phone. They gave me an "expected resolution date" of October 2 and gave me a temporary data plan. Keep me posted as to what happens with you, I'm gonna raise hell if this was intentional!

22. kimberlyd. macrumors newbie

It means you were on an unlimited data plan, and are now on the LTE unlimited data plan. Everyone who upgraded and chose to keep their unlimited data were switched to the LTE unlimited data plan.

23. jersey macrumors regular

I had this same b.s. happen to me today too. Why cant they get it right? This is only the 6th iphone to come out. After 6 years, this shouldn't be an issue.

Contacted AT$T via online chat, and was told that my unlimited will be back by Oct 2. I was put on a 3gb plan, and credited $15 in case I go over by 1 gig.

I prefer chat instead of calling, that way I have proof of what was said and can throw it back at them if I have to.

They'll have to pry that grandfathered unlimited data from my cold dead hands.

24. kilucky9 macrumors newbie

has anyone gone into store and got there unlimited data back? i just called and got a case number and it should be done by Oct 3rd but if i can get it done in store on the spot i would much rather that....

25. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Let me be clear, no one can put back the unlimited plan except for a high up enough manager as of December 2011.

Even when one of us was "mistakenly" kicked off, it took them FOREVER to even get back to us on the matter.

Call NOW, and get prepared to waste a few hours on the phone fighting for your unlimited data plan back. If it takes more than an hour, request a credit to your account too.