AT&T LTE better building penetration and/or fewer dropped calls?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LapsangSouchong, Oct 18, 2012.

1. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Got worse the data coverage and the phone calls are worse also.
    More dropped calls.
    Calls directed to an automated message when someone is calling to my iPhone 5, saying the phone is out the coverage area, when before at least they went to the voice mail.

3. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

i was on att from iphone 2g-4s.. always i would drop a call at specific locations.. (i assumed tower hand offs) i got tired of it and tried and sIII.. since we had LTE here... nope call still dropped at the same location..

Data is more reliable IMO..but voice hand offs while driving seems to be the same with GSM..

i switched to verizon for my iphone 5.. i have yet to see "call failed" upon starting a conversation.

4. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm on verizon at the moment. The call quality is great. The lack of simultaneous data/voice is killing me.

5. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

From a technical standpoint AT&T's LTE networks operates off the 700mhz bands, which is the lowest frequency of all the major carriers LTE networks. This means that the radio waves can travel a longer distance AND penetrate buildings/obstacles better.

This should translate into better connections/fewer dropped calls. Ill be testing this out when I get to NYC next week.

6. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

On my 4S, which obviously never had LTE vs my 5 which obviously does... call quality and "droppage" is the same. Absolutely unchanged. Granted, I do live in Miami, and it seems ATT has coverage everywhere down here in South FL.

I really think it's purely dependent on your location.

Also, on a semi-tangent... I thought LTE was for data only, not for calls (as in the phone would use LTE for web browsing, but HSPA+, 3G or even 2G / Edge for calls). That being said, why would LTE deployment in a location help call quality? It's probably something apparent that I'm missing but I'm genuinely curious :\

7. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeah its annoying at times. luckily for me there has only been 1 or 2 times so far where i havent been able to use voice and data at the same time.
    If my office had wifi.. id be covered most the time.

does anyone know if/when verizon upgrades to voLTE next year, will we be able to use our current phones with voice/data at the same time.. or will it still require another antenna that the ip5 lacks? from my understand we will be able to. but idk

*edit.. nvm found the answer.. yes we will be able to.. im sure that will be the end of unlimited data for verizon. *Sighs guess ill use 100 gb a month the next year... jk jk

8. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Thanks. Please do let me know.

One of my MAIN (really ONLY) reasons for switching to Verizon was the big metal box of a building I work in. I had been using the microcell, but it's so darned slow...

----------

I thought (given that I only use about 300mb of data a month) that it wouldn't be much of an issue, but I'm finding it very annoying. Just yesterday I was in the field, and my boss called. She wanted me to open a document and give her some info. The document was in dropbox....no can do...grrr

9. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Keep in mind that right now, NO carrier in the US has enabled voice calls on LTE. Regardless of carrier, when you make a receive a call, your phone drops to 3G (HPSA or CDMA, depending).

So if you're dropping calls, LTE probably isn't to blame. Nor should you expect better call quality at this point.

Call set up issues (like your phone not ringing) probably are LTE related.

10. LapsangSouchong thread starter macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Very useful... thanks.