Carrier AT&T LTE in Amarillo, TX?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by the1payday, Apr 18, 2013.

1. the1payday macrumors 6502

the1payday

I've been trying to figure out from AT&T (a worthless exercise so far) when they will activate LTE in my area. Verizon has their LTE service here and I'm just on the edge about to switch. I know there are some forum members here that work for AT&T and sometimes have access to this information. If anyone sees this post that is one of those said individuals, I would appreciate it so much if they could tell me when Amarillo TX will have LTE on AT&T. Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I don't work for AT&T but I would estimate by the end of the year you should see it.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=23237&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=35257

3. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Yea I'm aware of that page, I monitor it frequently. With my work, I have to sometimes upload/download pretty large files to a Dropbox type server. My contract is up and if I could know FOR SURE when LTE is coming, I could possibly hold off switching. If its not going to be until like October though or later, I can't really wait that long.

4. PsstGreek, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I would doubt anyone just working for AT&T would know unless you're higher up in the company (I could be wrong).

5. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

There are various users on this board who I guess do work high enough to know. They've responded before in other topics regarding other cities LTE status and have given tentative launch windows that they have the ability to look up in their systems.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Or employees don't want to say NO so they keep saying "is coming!"

Amarillo, how big is the town. 1 tower and u guys are set right? :D

7. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

It's not super big, obviously. 200,000 population. It's annoying though because AT&T has activated LTE in a TON of small towns in Texas all over the place (like 5000 population small) and they're towns that aren't extensions of a big metro area or anything of the sort. Real annoying.

8. Hotmoosettu macrumors newbie

They are waiting for 3G to cover the panhandle because lte can only fall back onto 3G service, not edge. There are only a couple towers left up north I believe until they're done so I'd guess in the next 3 months they can turn it up

9. Jkingram macrumors newbie

http://m.amarillo.com/blog-post/karen-smith-welch/2013-08-21/amarillo-att-mobile-network-pick-speed

Here is a little info I found hope it helps

10. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Yea I saw that, but thanks! I've actually got a friend working for AT&T who called yesterday and said it should be live sometime in the next 2-3 days!

11. madsci954 macrumors 68030

AT&T posts PRs every Tuesday or Wednesday when new LTE areas are live. Best to keep checking them.

12. the1payday thread starter macrumors 6502

the1payday

Well LTE came on about an hour ago....the speeds are aweful. Speed test shows 1.2 Mbps download speed.... :( Is there a transition period for this thing speeding up soon after rolling out, or......?

13. Hotmoosettu, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013

Hotmoosettu macrumors newbie

I tested it last night and got 18 down and 6 up so I'd imagine it'll pick up again soon

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/631075502

14. Kryckter macrumors 6502

Kryckter

I test this morning and was getting 25 down and 7 up. Seems like its slowly picking up...