AT&T LTE in Ventura!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iDriveX, May 2, 2013.

1. iDriveX macrumors member

OMG Venturans!!! Welcome to the future!!!

Speediest: 1417 kb/s down, 208 kb/s up

Just turned on somewhere around 11 PM tonight.

2. DayOfChaos macrumors 6502

I...can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

If you are, lol.

If you aren't, those aren't great speeds to be excited about man. Unless you live in EDGE territory.

3. Boogsephine macrumors 6502

I think I got those speeds on my BlackBerry in 2008.

4. iDriveX thread starter macrumors member

My bad. 4G was way slower than even that prior to yesterday. I'm sure you can understand my excitement when I tell you my "fastest" option for DSL craps - er caps - out at 300 kb/s (my wifi). So having an option where it doesn't take 5 minutes to download a song is nice.

5. Mactrick macrumors newbie

Confirmed AT&T LTE from Oxnard to Santa Barbara. Fastest sustained speeds I've seen in Ventura was 16Mbps down, 16 Mbps up with 90ms latency. Not bad.

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Good, now they need to turn it on in Agoura/Oak Park!

7. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Wow, people in a major metro area (SoCal) are still having to deal with these kinds of lousy speeds? I'm in Metro Atlanta and I have 105 Mbps down/20 Mbps up through Comcast at home and Verizon LTE is typically anywhere from 15-30 Mbps down and 8-15 Mbps up. I'm sorry you're not able to get better speeds in your area either at home or over the cell network. That sucks.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

105Mbps down/20Mbps up?? That is absolutely screaming. I'm happy with 20Mbps down. I'm currently in San Diego for school, and I get 30-50Mbps/8-15Mbps up on LTE. Almost 2-3X faster than my cable.

Anything above 15Mbps, cellular or fiber optic is good enough for me.

9. Mactrick macrumors newbie

Not sure why the OP posted such slow speeds. It's much faster than that. Update on coverage - It looks like the whole 101 corridor has LTE except for Monticeto.

10. avanpelt macrumors 68020

Yeah, Comcast recently doubled the throughput on their two highest tiers of service so I went from 50/10 to 105/20. The only bad thing about it is that I'm increasingly impatient when I travel because no other connection I've used outside of my house is even close to what I have at home. I can download 1 GB of data from a server with a solid upstream connection in three to four minutes. It's insane.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If it just went online, then theyre still tweaking and rolling out

----------

Atlanta is a strong market for both vzw and AT&T. Up until a few weeks ago, they were still running at half spectrum (5x5). They just upgraded to 10x10, so at&t speeds should double in SoCal

12. iDriveX thread starter macrumors member

Must have been too early to test. Just now got 3,000 kb/s down and 1,000 kb/s up.

Interestingly enough, I got an email saying they were upgrading our area from AT&T DSL to AT&T UVerse. I called up and they told me they'll be sending me a new modem but because of where we live the Max speed would be 768k down, a reduction from the 1.5 MB we "have" now. I told them I'd like to decline the "upgrade" and they said that's fine for now and they understand but at a certain point I'll be unable to access the Internet using my existing modem and eventually I'll be forced to upgrade... Just counting down the days...

13. CamrioKid macrumors newbie

Also in Camarillo

I work in Ventura and noticed the LTE on my iPhone 5 early yesterday, and it also gets LTE coverage at home in Camarillo. However, only getting 11.5 Mbps. A little better than what I was getting with 4G.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Shocked that it took so long. I am originally from Moorpark and I know they had 3G before we did in Iowa. We had LTE in Iowa before we moved six months ago. Wonder how that works?

15. iDriveX thread starter macrumors member

There's just never been any love from AT&T in the Southern Central Coast. (Here comes a really annoyingly snobby sounding rant:) We were on EDGE driving up and down from Ventura to Santa Barbara LONG after the iPhone 3G came out, in fact I think it was right around the time that the 3GS came out that 3G was just getting reliable. It's only in the last year that you can drive from Santa Barbara to Camarillo without dropping a call. With Montecito and Santa Barbara having some of the largest amounts of wealth in America, you'd think a cell phone provider would want to capture that business by blanketing that section with vast amounts of spectrum in an attempt to lure those big spenders into their stores...

16. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Its all about spectrum. If AT&T could deploy it and have the needed back haul, they'll do it. If not, its out of their power. For example, LA and Chicago were running at 5x5 for a long time (max 37mbps down) until a month ago, when they acquired some more. Now its at 10x10, which means 75mbps downlink