AT&T LTE Network DOWN (Fixed)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by proathlete03, Oct 25, 2012.

1. proathlete03, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

proathlete03 macrumors member

Issue Started at approx 6:00 PM EST on Oct 25 2012.
    Issue Resolved at approx 2:15 AM EST on Oct 26 2012.

Customers Effected Nationally...

Was experiencing technical difficulties with LTE on my IP5. Ran a few tests of my own such as field test signal levels, flipped off the network through airplane mode and shut down phone completely - still no LTE. Phone also liked going between "No Service" and 1 bar, then went to 3 bars suddenly, then back to nothing. Signal levels were -93 to -107... At one point it shot up to -130, ouch!

Spent an "hour" on hold with AT&T, tier 1 rep did tests and was not aware of any outage (despite the fact of the long wait and a message saying "Customers in the SouthEast may experience longer than normal hold times)... Well, finally transferred to a tier-3 rep and he confirmed they are swamped. Most of Cali is down, most of the Carolinas, Georgia, Arizona etc is down.

How does something this major does not make headlines, I'll never know.

Also has anyone on AT&T experienced a glitch when switching from Allowing your caller ID to be displayed - all data cuts out and then re-aquires. Strange. Maybe one of those 6.0 glitches?

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I met someone yesterday on Sprint in San Jose and his LTE speeds (via speediest app) were 0.02 up and 0.01 down and the ping was something like 1030 MBPs. He said he can't use the Internet at all whether on 4G or LTE.

I think we'll survive that LTE isn't working tonight.

3. proathlete03, Oct 25, 2012

proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Survive yes, but that isn't the issue. The bigger picture is "what could possibly cause the national LTE grid to go down?"

The entire country is connected via independent towers, each tower has its own fiber line - each line is connected to a sub station through a commercial ISP, etc. The system is this way for technical limitations like the distance of radio waves and traffic volume, but also somewhat for redundancy. Some towers run off of AT&T or Verizon owned lines, but most get leased through AMT (American Tower Corp).

We are the USA - the pride jewel of the west... a sitting target for all that hate us. The internet only makes it easier to invade our space from across the globe. Iran and China are hitting are servers DAILY. They like to probe, to play, and to test.

When there is an outage like this (of this magnitude) you MUST ask yourself how and why. Breach of security?

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Seems AT&T LTE is also down in Seattle area, prolly be back up later.

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

6. KojiH macrumors 6502

LTE is working for me in Tampa Bay.

But the upload speed is horrible right now...

14 Mbps down, 1.4 Mbps up...

7. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I've never had LTE. ****ing AT&T and their lack of a very important network in a large city! Denver is pretty major, compared to some of those cities that have excellent LTE east of here...

9. coryndiego macrumors regular

coryndiego

Been floating in & out of No Service and 4G all day here in San Diego.

Attached Files:

10. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

I would take Denver's legal cannabis laws over LTE any day of the week. What's wrong with only having HSPA+ when you can smoke one for the home team and use WiFi? :D

11. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

12. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

I'm on the East coast, this is a serious issue. Tier-1 said it was a "bad SIM card"... Yeah, did they all die on the same day, at the same time? Besides, the card is only your identity module - it does NOT regulate signal despite popular belief.

13. Oridus macrumors 6502a

Really? There are plenty leftover tin foil hats in the corner if you're worried about aliens as well.... :-/

14. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

AT&T told my niece that she had a bad nano SIM card. However, we know otherwise, now.

15. Fyrrwin macrumors newbie

Having the same AT&T LTE issues in Portland, OR.

16. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

Companies are very departmentalized. As a rep you work a JOB (its hardly considered a career in telecommunications). You only know what your told and you only tell customers basic trouble shooting info. The "real wizards" you could never get on the telephone.

The key here is to call AT&T and FILE AN OUTAGE REPORT. After enough reports of outages, they will get a clue. There is also a free app you can download that is made by AT&T called Mark the Spot.

17. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

18. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Same here, works great.

19. proathlete03 thread starter macrumors member

I'm wearing my hat, I hear that it will help improve my cell signal so the aliens know where to find me. If you don't realize China is a threat you are the one in the corner my friend...

Technology and Cyberwar are the new atom bomb. I'm not saying it was a breach, but concerned citizens should always be aware. Taking your approach is how 9/11 happened is it not? "MEMO: Bin Laden Set to Strike US Homeland"... oh let's ignore that, no real threat. Hey its ok though man... I don't feel sorry for you, I just wish more people would WAKE UP.

20. Oridus macrumors 6502a

I choose to enjoy life as it is, not ******** my britches over what may happen because AT&T LTE is down.... The world just may end because the enemy knocked the speed down from 30 Meg's down to 7 on Hspa+ o_0

21. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Same

22. adam044 macrumors 65816

adam044

LTE fine here. 40 min from Boston mass. Got 62 down 22 up

23. ilifecomputer macrumors 6502

I need to feel like I am part of the team and add that it's still down in Pasadena, CA. :eek:

24. Huracan, Oct 25, 2012

Huracan macrumors 6502

Huracan

It's more likely that they botched a software upgrade. Anyway, you don't need to wake up. I am sure AT&T would contact the FBI if this were due to a cyberattack. If this were really a cyberattack it would be a big risk (of retaliation) for little effect for any bad actor. Come on, this is not even making it into the news.

By the way, I have also not seen LTE this evening around San Jose downtown (at around 7pm and after), and other areas around San Jose. I only see 4G support. Not a big deal for me at this moment. I can live with that. Hopefully they'll fix it before tomorrow. I have good Wi-Fi for now :)

Quick correction. Just changed to LTE a few seconds ago as I was writing.