AT&T LTE won't load secure data such as Twitter or Apps from the App Store.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SheepNutz, Sep 26, 2012.

1. SheepNutz macrumors 6502a

I'm in northern KY near Cincinnati using AT&T LTE, and while the speeds are super fast, the phone will absolutely hang on some secure websites. I can't get twitter to load from their mobile site, app, or tweetbot. Also, apps from the App Store won't download. If I turn LTE off in settings and use HSPA+, everything works flawlessly. Anyone know what would cause this?

2. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I'm in downtown Cincinnati right now and disconnected from our WiFi at work to test. I'm on LTE and I just downloaded a new app (just picked a free one to test). Seems to be working here.

3. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was finally able to get an app to download, and once it started, it actually went quickly. I still can't get the twitter app or tweetbot to load new tweets. Sometimes I can get the mobile twitter site to load, but most of the time it won't load either. A friend with an android phone was having the exact same problem with the android twitter app on Cincinnati AT&T LTE.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

There's no scientific basis for this suggestion other than "jiggle the handle to see if it works", but I'd consider resetting the network settings to see if there's something odd that has changed in the early stages of the AT&T LTE deployment here. Just a hunch.

5. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did a reset of the network settings and that didn't work. I also uninstalled and reinstalled tweetbot and that didn't work either. I couldn't even make it to the authentication page. It's weird, it's like twitter's API seem off limits to AT&T LTE.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Posting back in this thread to see if you've had any luck with this because I'm starting to see more of this type of behavior myself. There are some pages that just will not load and if I turn off LTE (forcing it back to "4G") then the page loads perfectly. I'm now finding myself turning off LTE on a regular basis in order to load a fair number of sites. Seems like something in the AT&T LTE network really doesn't like supporting anything that might smell like encryption (even just SSL?) I wonder how widespread this is...

7. broxman macrumors newbie

LTE problems in Cincinnati

I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3 both with AT&T LTE. I'm having what sounds like the same problem. Speeds are impressive but loading of web pages doesn't seem to complete. The progress bar and activity icon in Safari indicate that it is still trying to load more content. Other apps, in general, seem to complete loading.

I've tried changing some options in Safari and that doesn't seem to help. Both the iPad and the iPhone have the same symptoms. HSPA+ seems to work fine but slower, of course.

I was in San Francisco a few weeks ago and the iPad worked great on LTE. So, I'm thinking there is some issue with AT&T's LTE setup in the Cincinnati area. (I'm in Fairfield)

8. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm still having issues with it timing out, just at random times and twitter will still almost never load. I recommend using their Mark The Spot app to report the issues. Maybe if we all start reporting more, they'll look into it eventually.

9. vividpixel macrumors newbie

No email, App store on LTE in Cincy. Soemtimes no browsing

The LTE in Cincinnati has been useless to me. It never gets email, often fails to update iMessages, and I can't download any apps. Yet if I run speed test, I'm showing 10+ MB speeds. Some apps, like FaceBook, work perfectly fine. I have an appointment at the Apple store, hoping a hardware change can fix it. Someone else in the office with the same 32GB white ATT has none of these problems.

Also, I run a wireless N 5 GHZ router at home, I many of the same problems. If I connect to the 2.4 GHz version of the network, I am fine. Likewise if I run of 4G instead of LTE.

10. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm still under contract and can't get the iPhone5 until next year, but I am not liking what I am reading here. Hopefully it will get fixed soon.

11. vividpixel macrumors newbie

New phone, same problems

Apple switched my iPhone 5 but Cincy LTE still has the same issues. Of course, at the Kenwood Apple store, the LTE worked flawlessly, even on my original phone. They switched it anyway but once back downtown I had all the same problems. So it looks like its the towers or number if users here that is the issue. My friend who had no issues day after launch is now having the same email problems as I am.

12. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I can't get the home page of the App Store to download most times.

13. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I too have had the problem with multiple phones. I exchanged my first one due to stuck pixels, and both have this network issue. I was in Tri-County yesterday and LTE was working flawlessly, but still very spotty in Cold Spring.

14. iamthegame2499 macrumors newbie

I am also having the issue with twitter and LTE. It seems like LTE in the Cincy area is really spotty. I work in Cleves and LTE runs at about 4 mbps with 2 bars just like the 4G but i ran a couple speed tests while in the Colerain area showing full bars and it was anywhere from 8-27 mbps.

Im also having an issue with connecting to my home wifi.

15. SheepNutz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Both yesterday and today, the LTE has been flawless at my work. I'm pretty sure the issue is completely fixed, at least for this area. Anyone else notice improvement over the past two days?

16. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I was at my son's District tourney soccer game at Scott HS (in Taylor Mill) on Tuesday evening and was able to keep up with the Reds game by streaming from my Slingbox throughout the game. I also periodically checked email, etc. and didn't have a single hiccup. Hopefully it is fixed for good, but I'll want to really pay close attention the next time I'm at a place where I know I was having to toggle LTE off just to get email (Town & Country, Pendery Park down on Rt 8, etc.)