AT&T main line upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr Kevorkian94, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

Question if the main line has an upgrade can another line use it? (For AT&T) When I check electability on my line it says I'm not eligible, but when I check the main line it is eligible. If I go to the Apple store on Friday will they know this so I can use the other upgrade. I know with regular lines you can take upgrades but I'm not sure about the main line.

2. RSully, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

RSully macrumors member

Yes, you can use any line on a family plan to upgrade any line (on the same family plan). Right now I'm using the main line to upgrade my line. It's called an "upgrade swap" and just let them know you're doing this during activation.

Edit: an AT&T rep referred to it as a "cross activation" when I spoke to them last

3. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks, I know I was able to do it with the other lines just dident know about the main one. Yay

4. TurkEclipse macrumors newbie

Yup.. I do it every year on a line that is upgrade eligible. Then go to the ATT store to have them switch them.

5. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

So i have to bring both phones in and upgrade one and then head to att and have them switched. i thought an "upgrade swap" didn't involve having to do that?

edit: never mind i got confused for a second, ive done this before lmao

6. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Also since the phone that has the upgrade uses a regular sim how would that work? the dumb phone (main line) will get upgraded, and the numbers are switched. but how do i keep the dumb phone on the line the sims are different. im just getting more and more confused...

7. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

While we don't know the exact process that will be fastest, here are the most likely based on last year.

1. You ordered from AT&T, you just call Customer care before you activate the new iPhone 5 and the rep switches the pre-assignment of the new Nano-SIMs ICCID and the IMEI of the iPhone 6 from your main line to the line you want. Then you activate the new Nano-SIM and it works on your correct line.

2. Worst Case, you activate the Nano-SIM and iPhone 5 on the main line, this kills the current SIM on that line and also breaks the voicemail and adds a data plan. You go to an AT&T Corp retail location and they fix your account, provide you two new SIMs: new SIM for the dumb phone and a new Nano-SIM for your iPhone 5.

Did you order from Apple, there were different steps?

Dave

8. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

I am going to the apple store on friday.

9. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

OK, more questions.

Are you the Primary Account holder?

Many Apple retail locations often has issues if you are not, you might want to swing by and ask your local Apple store before Friday. You will also need the account holder's information to complete the purchase, Last 4 SSN and billing ZIPCODE.

Also for an upgrade swap in the Apple store, there are often AT&T reps working in the store to help during launch. However, they don't always have regular SIMs should the one in your donor line be killed in the upgrade process. You want let the primary account holder know what you are doing on Friday since in a worst case situation, their SIM may be killed and their voicemail might get reset if the rep processing your upgrade makes any mistakes. If you are prepared then it is less likely to bite you.

Dave

10. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

I am not the primary account holder but im added to the "list" so im legally able to access it, and i know all the info. The primary account holder has been notified. There is also an AT&T store downstairs if i have to go there i will. Obviously we want to retain the same phone numbers respectively and for the dumb phone have the contacts preserved (i did this a while ago and the contacts were erased on the dumb phone)

11. dave006 macrumors 68030

dave006

This is the probem for Apple, they can't see the AT&T retail authorized users. The Authorized user list is for AT&T retail use.

Each Apple retail store seems to have their own policy on this Authorized User policy.

Dave

12. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

They do know us and gave me no problem the last time i did it (they suggested i be added to the list in the first place), my main concern was the sims.

13. jjp007, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

I have the iPhone 4s with the grandfathered unlimited data plan and wasn't eligible for the total upgrade pricing. I have the ATT family plan. My mother is on this with a regular flip phone with no internet service. So I just pay the 9.99 a month plus tax's and she uses it for talking only. So I wouldn't have to add a "dummy" line that won't get used.
    If I want to use her upgrade to get the cheaper price how would I go about doing this? When I go to upgrade won't it make me add another data plan for the 'new' upgrade and will I lose my unlimited if I switch them out? Thanks for any help, I too am very confused how to do this the right way.

14. indianboynyc macrumors regular

if u have unlimited right now, u will not lose it

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Does not matter if main line or secondary lines. They are all just "lines".

People do swaps all the time, as it has been posted a few hundred times in the past few days here.

Keep in mind, if you take another family members upgrade, they no longer will be able to upgrade a few months from now when they either just want a new phone, or theirs craps out. You obligated that line to 2 years.

16. Dr Kevorkian94 thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah, i know they wont be able to upgrade though. Im just going there really prepared for anything so it goes as smooth as possible. Thanks

17. jjp007 macrumors regular

jjp007

Yes I am aware of this and my mothers upgrade well, she only uses the bare bones types of phones and is happy with a go phone for cheap. So I get to take advantage of her upgrade when she wouldn't use it.