AT&T May Never Raise Data Cap Again (Throttling UDP)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megapopular, Oct 1, 2014.

1. megapopular macrumors 6502a

AT&T is probably super happy now. Lots of UDP customers are switching to Mobile Share plans. Lots of existing Mobile Share customers are probably begrudgingly upgrading from 10gb plans to 30gb plans which is netting AT&T a nice chunk of change every month. Where does that leave UDP customers?

I'm wondering if AT&T would squeeze us even more by never upping the throttling cap from 5gb to some higher number. Do you think that may be the ultimate plan to kinda stick the nail in the coffin to UDP customers? I know that AT&T throttled data is still fairly usable for most things as long as you don't multitask while trying to use data but that could really tip the scale!

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

That's been the plan for a while. They're not going to offer any incentive or data limit raising to unlimited customers. The goal is to make the unlimited plan as unattractive as possible so that you give it up on your own and they can say that you voluntarily gave it up rather than them taking it from you.

LTE networks will get more efficient and faster, but you'll still be stuck with your meager 5GB unless you move to tiered data and that's the whole idea.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

4. z28black98 macrumors regular

I agree that I don't think they will ever raise the cap. I also believe people are upping their data plans for 15-30 bucks a month, but on the flip side of that, I've read numerous posts on here where it's actually saving people quite a bit of money especially if you have 4-10 lines on that mobile share plan and combine accounts with family members and or friends.

5. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

It's still Pretty attractive for me I use 5-6gb a month yes the last gb is throttled but even then it's cheaper than 6gb on mobile share even giving up the next discount

6. joelb727 macrumors regular

7. thedru13 macrumors regular

I just jumped... I was throttled 3 months in a row. for the extra 25/m its going to cost me to get 30gb of data and able to use as a hot spot seemed worth it. I use way to much data to be throttled after 5gigs...

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Why would think AT%T would increase the cap? That is not going to happen.

I have been on the unlimited plan for years now and use 3-6GB a month due to sending alot of images to customers.

Never been throttled, even when I hit a little over 7GB.

9. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I just got throttled for the first time ever this cycle.

It was annoying cuz I had just got the iPhone 6 Plus and was trying to watch streaming YouTube to show off to people while driving and I couldn't.

The rest worked ok. Can still stream music and radio.

10. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I've gotten throttled every month so far this year.

Said screw it and switched to T-Mobile.

Now I have truly unlimited data. Unlimited minutes (compared to 450 with AT&T). Free mobile hotspot tethering, free international text and data, free music service and haven't noticed any difference in coverage/service.

11. itjw macrumors 65816

I heard a rumor from the rep that switched me to the 40GB plan (loving being unthrottled btw) that they are planning on throttling EVERY unlimited user at 5GB starting November.

So basically, even the folks that haven't been affected yet are about to feel what it's like to be "unlimited" and throttled.

It still works, and if you're on an individual line I'd stick with it too, but if you have a family or multiple lines, there's almost no excuse not to move it now.

I can stream over a GB a day now, unthrottled, and with careful monitoring can tether my kids devices on car rides without having to hide the fact that I'm doing it (and at decent speeds too!).

The UDP is on life support. It'll stick around for the single line plans that have it, and I don't believe they'll make it WORSE, but they sure as heck aren't gonna make it any better for $30/mo.

:cool:

12. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

No WiFi at work?

13. RByers8252 macrumors regular

It won't be for a few years but I imagine either phone companies will go back to unlimited plans extensively or the data limits will increase dramatically. Data usage will keep going up and it just takes one of the major carriers to cave in and the others will follow.

14. itjw macrumors 65816

This.

The trouble is, they know people NEED it, so they can gouge for as long as they all tow the line.

That's why I'm happy to lock in 40GB now. I think I can live with that for a few years.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I hope they do this! If my wife and I are still on our 4Ses by that time, we'll have a 2GB increase! :D

BL.

16. normanfox macrumors 6502a

not gonna happen. AT&T just updated their policy last July that they will only throttle Unlimited users when and where there is a network congestion. They used to throttle everyone who has unlimited and goes over 5GB, regardless of network condition.

17. myztikal47 macrumors regular

I get throttled every time as soon as I hit 5gb. Down to .5mbps down, can't do anything on it except check email and phone calls pretty much. I'm a lot more careful with it now. Unfortunately my current plan ends up being cheaper than the mobile share plan which is why I haven't jumped ship yet.

18. teabonesteak macrumors regular

i just joined you this week. happy to stop supporting att.

19. groggy2333 macrumors regular

There's no reason for AT&T to do anything but to DIK there customers in everything basically. Throttle, offer plans that make people spend more money, etc.. AT&T is going downhill.

20. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Actually given how many people gleefully gave up their $30 unlimited to signup for $150+ mobile share plan - I think AT&T is going everywhere but downhill...

21. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

The data wars have already begun so I expect the cost of data to drop quite a bit in the next 3-5 years.

For those old enough to remember, this is like the "long distance" wars between AT&T, MCI and Sprint back in the 90's. Then cell companies started warring over how much you paid for voice minutes and roaming and the prices plummeted. (Remember when "roaming" with your cellphone cost a small fortune?)

Now, it's data.

Looking forward to sitting back and watching the battle because it's us consumers who win in the end. ;)

:apple:

22. megapopular thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, and lots of people jumped from the 10gb plans to the 15gb plan so they could double to 30gb. Money, money, money for AT&T.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And lots of people SAVED money by jumping off old grandfathered plans and onto the 15GB plan so they could double to 30GB.

I'm close to being one of them, and would save $40 - 60 per month in the process, and that's including with the FAN.

BL.

24. minimac macrumors member

If it gets to the point where I am constantly exceeding the 5GB per month on my 'unlimited' plan I will be switching plans... but it won't be with AT&T.

25. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

So you driving and trying to show off your phone to other people in the car with you by watching youtube videos?

Probably good thing you couldn't do that. lol