AT&T MicroCell with Unlocked iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MattMJB0188, Mar 24, 2012.

1. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Does the unlocked iPhone purchased directly through Apple work with the AT&T MicroCell? I had read it doesn't work with unlocked phones but AT&T sells the 4s. I can see it not working with like the Galaxy Nexus GSM since they don't sell that phone. Anyone using the MicroCell with AT&T and their unlocked iPhone can you please share? Thanks

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

3. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

4. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I had read it only works with phones sold by AT&T and will classify an unlocked phone as 2G only which will be incompatible with the MicroCell.

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KttB6owZ7hQ

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So call ATT? :confused:

I know ATT will register your phone as an iPhone whether it's unlocked or not. Regardless, giving ATT a quick call, or even chatting online with an agent should get you a definitive answer, better than we can.

6. cynics macrumors G3

If that video is accurate it's more then just a repeater which it's price would indicate. That would be unbiased across any platform. I find it hard to believe they would spend the time to add and program hardware to block devices not sold by them. That's a lot of work for the sole purpose of pissing off people.

I would definitely call AT&T and ask, maybe even a few times for verification.

7. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

They said they didn't know and I could try it. I knew they wouldn't know, which is why I posted here.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

That's frankly ridiculous. I would insist that you get transfered to someone that does know. SOMEBODY has to have information at AT&T about it. My feeling, however, is that it will work. I know for a fact that using an iPhone, though unlocked, on AT&T's network shows up as an iPhone and not a generic 2G phone.

9. thefreeagent macrumors member

I have an AT&T microcell AND an unlocked iPhone 4S, and I assure you, it DOES work. The microcell is configured to work with your phone number, and not with the specific device that you are using. When I switched from my AT&T iPhone 4 to my factory unlocked 4S, I simply swapped microsim cards between the two phones, and the microcell worked instantly. Even if you have AT&T switch your number by giving them the IMEI of your new device (the "kosher" way to do it) it should work exactly the same way. Hope this helps!

10. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Thank you. And yes I did call them to update my IMEI number when I got my unlocked iPhone.

11. thefreeagent macrumors member

Then, yes, it will definitely work. Also, just as an example of how it works, you can add up to ten people's phone numbers on your microcell (as long as they are AT&T customers) so that they'll get reception from your microcell when visiting. So I've been able to plug in the number of a friend or family member who'll be visiting before they arrive (using AT&T's account management page) and when they get to my house, they usually have a signal on their phone right away. (Occassionally, however, they just need to turn the iPhone off, and then on again, for it to show up.) Again, this just shows that it's based on phone numbers registered in AT&T's account database.

----------

BTW, for what it's worth, after the 5.1 update, my iPhone now reads "AT&T MicroCell 4G" when at home, so it's definitely not reading my unlocked iPhone as a "2G" device.

12. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I had upgraded to the 4s in October and had my friend's M-Cell which worked ok. He then wanted it back so I called up AT&T yesterday and they gave me one for $39.99. I remember having issues with it disconnecting periodically and jumping to the network during calls. Disabling cellular data also helped with the connection and calls. I'm hoping its better now with 5.1 and you don't have to turn off cellular data?

13. thefreeagent macrumors member

The MicroCell IS a little bit buggy, for sure. It will randomly disconnect (though not very often) and seem to reset itself from time to time, but it seems to work ok for the most part without me having to turn off cellular data (which I never thought to do). Once in awhile I'll get a missed call notification, or a voicemail, without my phone having rung, but, again, far less often than not. Overall, definitely has been worth having it at home, since I live amongst some serious foothills.

14. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Or one can just purchase it directly from Apple like I did and be on the safe side. :D

15. thefreeagent macrumors member

Same here. More expensive outright, but with carrier flexibility, easy foreign travel options, peace of mind with updates, and much higher resale value :)

16. MattMJB0188 thread starter macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

I got a pretty penny for my AT&T 4s. Out of pocket the unlocked iphone only cost me about a difference of $150.

17. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

It will work fine. A femtocell can not tell. An AT&T iPhone and an unlocked model are exactly the same. Just the firmware is unlocked on on the unlocked model but an AT&T iPhone could easily be unlocked my AT&T if they wanted and it would be exactly the same.