Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So here is my experience with AT&T iPhones unlocked so far!

Sat april 7th: I called a day early before the official unlock date for my (2) original iPhones 8GB and 16GB. I didn't get any case number however, the 8GB got unlocked on Mon the 9 with an email from AT&T, but my 16GB did not get anything.

Tues april 10th: I called AT&T back about the 16GB. The tech support rep tell me that the 16GB did not go through. So he processed all the resquest, and this time got me a case number! Same day my brother called them for (2) iPhones (1) 3GS and the other an iPhone 4 which both got unlocked 3 hours later :eek: really AT&T?

Thu april 12th: I finally get an email from them about my 16GB which is now unlocked!

Fri april 13th: I get another email from them about my 16GB unlocked again! So at this point I realize that they submit my unlocked for the 16GB iPhone twice :rolleyes:

So everything is good until my uncle overseas email them about his iPhone 4 8GB that my dad gave it to him as a gift. He gets a reply saying that this phone is reported lost/stolen :eek: he replied to the email with my dad's AT&T number and address to see how they gonna say about it. Then he called me and tell me about the situation.

I then called them earlier about that and the tech support rep first tell me that only apple can unlocked the iPhone :eek: I processed to tell her how I got my iPhones unlocked! Then out of nowhere she finally just went ahead and submit my request, and got me a case number. That was a really weird situation. :rolleyes:

In the end I just don't know why would they just be dishonest about stuff like that?! Especially when you know they know what is going on. Anyone that works at AT&T can chip in about this?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Error about how they lie? 2 tech reps can lie out of nowhere and make you think like your dont know ****!? Man i can troll them all day long. :rolleyes:

I guess if I were 12 I could consider "trolling" someone. I didn't speak to how they supposedly lied. One may ask you, why are you mad ... or "Y uMad?"

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
I guess if I were 12 I could consider "trolling" someone. I didn't speak to how they supposedly lied. One may ask you, why are you mad ... or "Y uMad?"

I never say i was mad! I said y the **** would they lie like we att customer stupid or something. Its like me talking to u :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Apple is the company that unlocks iPhones. AT&T does not have the power to do so. All AT&T can do is request that an iPhone unique number is added to Apple's unlocked database.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Apple is the company that unlocks iPhones. AT&T does not have the power to do so. All AT&T can do is request that an iPhone unique number is added to Apple's unlocked database.

Thanx captain obvious! :rolleyes: but AT&T trying to tell me to call apple for the unlock which is just plan wrong! Since she knew AT&T does the request. :rolleyes:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Thanx captain obvious! :rolleyes: but AT&T trying to tell me to call apple for the unlock which is just plan wrong! Since she knew AT&T does the request. :rolleyes:

Your first post says AT&T was telling you something else and it doesn't mention anything about the AT&T representative telling you to call Apple.

I then called them earlier about that and the tech support rep first tell me that only apple can unlocked the iPhone...

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Your first post says AT&T was telling you something else and it doesn't mention anything about the AT&T representative telling you to call Apple.

Yea my bad! I typed this at 3:45 am. Anyways, the tech rep was telling me to call apple for that I told her the real process she changed her mind! :eek:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I always find it funny when a person decides that the entire company is a bunch of liars because they ended up speaking with an uninformed rep. Fact is, it happens. I had a rep on online chat tell me that it cannot be done on online chat. I told him I had seen screenshots of chats with reps online so I knew that wasn't true. He wouldn't budge. I disconnected, connected again, and the next rep took care of it. AT&T wasn't lying to me. The rep just didn't know what was going on. You have to understand, too, that the answer to unlocking an iPhone was ALWAYS, "no", up until very recently. A lot of reps are just used to telling you it cannot be done.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010

Attachments

• you-mad-bro.jpg
    you-mad-bro.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 67

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I always find it funny when a person decides that the entire company is a bunch of liars because they ended up speaking with an uninformed rep. Fact is, it happens. I had a rep on online chat tell me that it cannot be done on online chat. I told him I had seen screenshots of chats with reps online so I knew that wasn't true. He wouldn't budge. I disconnected, connected again, and the next rep took care of it. AT&T wasn't lying to me. The rep just didn't know what was going on. You have to understand, too, that the answer to unlocking an iPhone was ALWAYS, "no", up until very recently. A lot of reps are just used to telling you it cannot be done.

The rep actually lied to the OP in this case; it wasn't just a matter of being misinfored. The rep told him he has to call Apple, but when the OP stated that he already got other iPhones unlocked and wants this last one unlocked too, the rep processed the case. So if the OP's story is true, the rep was actually being dishonest, not just ignorant.

Ultimately, the customer service representative acts as a representative of AT&T. While they're on the job, they are authorized to speak on behalf of AT&T as to what is and isn't allowed by AT&T's policy. So if they lie, I consider the same as the company lying.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The rep actually lied to the OP in this case. I consider the same as the company lying.

I hope you never own a business is all I have to say. I also hope you never have to deal with customer service, because you are going to conclude that all companies lie about everything eventually...

For the record, it doesn't sound (to me) like the rep lied. It sounds like the rep honestly didn't know and threw some misinformation out there. You do realize that they work off of prompts, and prompts are only as good as the information the rep plugs into the system. It's basically like searching Google. There are some people that are god awful at it, and there are some people that are great.

I doctor at a Veterinary clinic and have heard receptionists give incorrect information (wrong info, for the right reasons - without going into it it had to do with why we don't do certain procedures). They were corrected on it. I do not equate that as ME lying to the customer, because that would be simply ridiculous.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I hope you never own a business is all I have to say. I also hope you never have to deal with customer service, because you are going to conclude that all companies lie about everything eventually...

For the record, it doesn't sound (to me) like the rep lied. It sounds like the rep honestly didn't know and threw some misinformation out there. You do realize that they work off of prompts, and prompts are only as good as the information the rep plugs into the system. It's basically like searching Google. There are some people that are god awful at it, and there are some people that are great.

I doctor at a Veterinary clinic and have heard receptionists give incorrect information (wrong info, for the right reasons - without going into it it had to do with why we don't do certain procedures). They were corrected on it. I do not equate that as ME lying to the customer, because that would be simply ridiculous.

By your logic, a company can never be lying because there is no single entity that is representative of the company as a whole. I choose to draw the line at those who are representing the company in an official capacity.

Your situation is different - you said so yourself. The receptionists said what they said for the right reasons, and they were corrected on it. Hypothetically speaking if those receptionists chose to say you don't do a certain procedure because they didn't want to deal with the paperwork, then that is wrong. If I became aware that a business is employing such people and they didn't make any effort to correct the situation, I would take my business elsewhere.

And as a supervisor, the actions of your employees do reflect on you. My father is a doctor and manages a hospital; ultimately he is liable for any mistake one his doctors or nurses make. If JCO comes and points out any issues, he's the one in the hot seat even if he had no direct control of the situation. At that point he has to find documentation showing he signed off on the proper orders and that it was a subordinate who violated the protocol. If no such documentation is on file, the hospital (and ultimately my dad) is held responsible.

Customer service is one of the only forms of interaction between a customer and the company. If the CSRs are deliberately lying for whatever reason, that does reflect poorly on the company. As an employer, I would not condone lying to the customer. If there's a confidentiality issue, then simply "no comment" or "I'm not authorized to release that information" should be sufficient.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
By your logic, a company can never be lying because there is no single entity that is representative of the company as a whole. I choose to draw the line at those who are representing the company in an official capacity.

Not at all... When a CEO makes a statement, or there is a press conference, or some other such event, you can take those words as the company's words. What some guy answering phones tells you incorrect information on the phone while working his $10/hr is not representative of what the company thinks as a whole. If you file a complaint, and enough complaints are filed, said person will likely get fired. Why? Because he is not conveying the proper information to ATT's customers. That's basically how businesses work... everywhere.

You mentioned your father being responsible for nurses and doctors. If it is brought to his attention that someone is not acting according to company policy AND HE DOES NOTHING, then he is sending the message that the company agrees with said actions. I would hope that a patient at his hospital isn't foolish enough to judge all of the clinic's policy based on the actions or statements of one individual. Unfortunately it happens, yes. What I am saying is that conclusions like that are irrational. If you are lied to, file a complaint (it doesn't seem like that's the case in this scenario, unless I am mistaken). But don't sit around stating that AT&T are a bunch of liars. There is literally NO POSSIBLE WAY a company can monitor 100% of conversations to make sure that the only words coming out of a phone reps mouth represent company policy. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The rep actually lied to the OP in this case; it wasn't just a matter of being misinfored. The rep told him he has to call Apple, but when the OP stated that he already got other iPhones unlocked and wants this last one unlocked too, the rep processed the case. So if the OP's story is true, the rep was actually being dishonest, not just ignorant.

Ultimately, the customer service representative acts as a representative of AT&T. While they're on the job, they are authorized to speak on behalf of AT&T as to what is and isn't allowed by AT&T's policy. So if they lie, I consider the same as the company lying.

Yeap true story! Like i mentioned out of nowhere she went ahead and process the request like she knew "fuuuu i lie then got caught by the customer!" that what i felt at that moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.