AT&T Mobile Date Share Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by southerndoc, Sep 20, 2013.

1. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I have a mobile data share plan (6 GB). I would like to increase this to 10GB and place my wife's, father's, mother's and in-laws' cell phones under the plan.

Does anyone know if AT&T will transfer existing numbers to the mobile data share plan under my name? All numbers are current AT&T customers under individual accounts.

2. xdbuix macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. I just started a new 4gb plan with a new 5s order and i'm trying to add the gf's new 5s order to it. If anyone knows, if they can merge these lines together, let us know!

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

That's what a share plan is. Everyone's existing numbers are under one shared account.

You will likely need the people you want to add to either be with you at a store, or give their personal info to a rep over the phone in order to add them.

And then, you will be responsible for the entire bill.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Back when I got my parents all on with me, the only caveat is you had to use the same area code, or at least be in the same area code vicinity. For exampe, around Atlanta there are about four different area codes you can get (404, 770, 678, 470). But it's all in the big metro Atlanta area.

So you can get up to 10 devices on one of those plans. I'm hopping back on with my parents since AT&T is much better out here now. The awesome thing when you get to four people is you can hop up on your data at literally no charge. For $185 we can get three iPhones and 2GB. For $190, we can get 4GB. If it were four iPhones, it would be the same price because of the price per device dropping as you go up.

Advice: Don't waste your time (and money) on an iPad with cellular. Save $129 and go WiFi. The Mobile Share plans include free hot spots, so no need to spend the extra money on the celluar radio and then more to connect monthly.

5. KenAFSPC, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

As far as i know, a single line under contract can't be moved to an existing mobile share plan (you can certainly convert a single line to a new mobile share plan). Once the contract expires, you can do what you want.

Similarly, once you add a new phone to a mobile share plan, you can't remove it (without paying a large ETF fee) until the 2-year contract ends unless the other person agrees to assume responsibility, in writing. You alone are contractually responsible for the cost if they do not agree to assume responsibility in writing.

6. Phan0121 macrumors newbie

Ummm, I'm pretty sure you can add them even if they're under contract. Their renew date will stay the same as well.

As for removing a phone from your shared plan, the owner of that phone needs to be pay for the phone so they run a credit check before they'll allow that person off your shared plan.

7. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

You are correct on the second point. I don't think you are right on the first. But I could be wrong,

Generally, providers will agree to anything that makes them more money. Providers will rarely agree to anything that makes them less money.

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I moved from a family plan with my family to a mobile share plan that was my own with two iPhones and two iPads. They easily took my one existing line that was under contract on the family plan and created a new account and put that line in the mobile share.

9. Nathan21585 macrumors member

Changing the plan has nothing to do with the contract. The only time a contract is involved it canceling and getting a new phone. You can change the plan at anytime but you will get prorated charges.

10. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

I believe it does if you are trying to merge multiple contracts, as the op wants to do.

If you are paying $100/mo now, for one phone under contract, I don't think AT&T will waive that contract to add the phone as a $30 add-on to someone else's data share plan. Why would AT&T want to give up the extra $70/mo?

11. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

This used to be the old policy. My parents have a family plan with area codes ranging from California to Arizona to Colorado. I think you can use any area code within a common geographic region.

12. Spacial macrumors 6502

Most people don't read their contracts. Nor any of the updates.

AT&T now allows mobile share plan members to be located anywhere in the continental USA, each with the area code of their choice. It's a great plan.

13. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I called AT&T about this last month and multiple reps assured me that a Florida number can't be added to New York mobile share plan.

14. mantan macrumors 68000

Same here. I wanted to add my mother's Austin number to our DFW family plan and couldn't do it unless she switched to a DFW area code.

15. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

REALLY? Wow. Can't believe this is allowed and that groups of 8 people aren't leaping all in to this.

16. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

actually now that i think about it, none of them added new lines, they were all ported over. maybe at&T made an exception just to steal customers.

17. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

They probably converted their plan to a "National" account, which can have phone numbers from different locations. AT&T has gotten pretty strict about saving these accounts for small businesses more recently.

18. southerndoc thread starter macrumors 65816

southerndoc

My mom and dad aren't under contract. Neither use a smart phone. Was planning on getting both an iPhone so we can FaceTime and they can more easily text message. We have a 5-month old, and we're constantly wanting to send our parents pictures/videos, but they're using ancient phones.

I wanted to put them under a family account before getting them iPhones.

19. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I did this last year and it's fairly easy to do if you have good credit (for the added contracts) and if all of the phone numbers are considered the same region by AT&T. For a number from a different region, AT&T will tell you to get a new number that's local to the billing address on your account.

Congrats on the baby!