AT&T mobile share plan surprise

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djmodifyd, Sep 22, 2012.

1. djmodifyd macrumors regular

So I just called ATT to change over to the 4gb mobile share plan.

I used to have 700 minutes, unlimited M2AM, unlimited text, 3gb on mine phone 250 meg on wifes phone. around 145 bucks a month after my 20% fan discount.

After talking to att, and confirming with the email I recieved I am now Paying 56 (70 - 20%) for the base 4gb plan, and 40 for an additional phone. I guess the first $70 plan includes one phone, and then you pay for the extra. I was under the assumption that it was 70, plus 40 for each phone.

So now I'm paying $96 a month and get more data plus teathering
    seems a bit too good to be true!

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

can you double check your account on the ATT website?

i've been into different at&t stores and asked this about the plan, and they told me it would be the 70+40 for just the main phone, instead of just the 70 like mentioned on your account. if it's true they put just the 70 for the first like (base price and phone incl) im switching ASAP

3. UnbornApple macrumors regular

UnbornApple

Yeah, I think it only works out well if you have a lot of lines.

I have two iPhones and two iPads on mine and I ended up saving around 10 dollars a month. But I would usually end up paying that the old way because one of our lines on the 3GB plan would always go over by like 500MB. So they would give the the 10 dollar over charge.

4. djmodifyd thread starter macrumors regular

I know, that what I thought too.

I went onto the att website and looked, it shows me at 4gb plan, shows both phones and says my total per month is $110 (doesn't include the discount on that part of the website)

Teathering and facetime over LTE works on my phone now, I guess i'll wait and see what actually happens comes next bill, but for right now it looks like it is 70+40 for the two phones.

5. olibraves macrumors newbie

I sure hope this stays this way for you. However, I just went to AT&T's website and tried doing a new plan with two phones and 4 GB's and it was quoting me 150 per month.

6. djmodifyd thread starter macrumors regular

This was the email I received, I x'd out the numbers though

7. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

See my fan discount on my current plan is 20% off the voice plan, it doesn't discount data or texting plans...

How do those fan discounts effect the mobile share plans? Is it off the total or only the $70?

If the first $70 includes the first line it becomes a great deal, without that its not worth it.

I have three smartphone lines and a dumb phone.

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

So I am trying this too and looks like iPhone 5 is still not recognized properly on AT&T system

I have a Family Plan with iPhone 5 (formerly 4 until yesterday) and a Blackberry (terrible phone). I used the online OLAM form to switch over to Mobile Share and when I try to add both phones in my line, there is a popup stating the following

"this product [prod6130286] is not compatible with the mobile share group you selected"

Then on the bottom with my phone listings, it shows that my iPhone 5 line as $0 and my Blackberry line as $40 (this is for the 4GB Mobile Share).

I think once AT&T fixed their system, the OP should have an additional $40 added to their bill :/ Just my hypothesis.

----------

Yes, FAN discount on Mobile Share is only on the "data" portion... and not the device. So yes only the $70 in your case.

9. arliu macrumors regular

theres no way its 70 for the first person with one phone and 40 for each additional. There was prob some error. I would discard my unlimited in a second if that was the case

10. djmodifyd thread starter macrumors regular

It shows my phone as an iPhone 4, not 5 and the wife's as the correct 3GS
    I'm fine even with the extra 40 cause it will end up cheaper with more data.

I'll wait and see

11. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

One thing that threw me for a loop with the mobile share plans is that you also get unlimited minutes. I don't think it's fair AT&T control FaceTime over cellular but ultimately I think the shared plans aren't a bad deal, unlimited minutes, texting, hotspot. Also for the 4gb plan it's 70 for the plan and 40 for EACH smartphone.

12. djmodifyd thread starter macrumors regular

Well I just re logged back online and it no longer shows me as an iPhone, just a picture of a flip phone. Data still works for now.

I'm thinking the person who hardly spoke any English that set up my account screwed something up

13. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

This is roughly what I was quoted with my 18% FAN discount, yes.

14. CSpackler macrumors regular

CSpackler

You need a certain amount of phones to make it worth it.

Plus the fan discount is overall, not per line. Unlimited plans still get discounted per line.

For instance I pay $25.50 unlimited data each line (we have 3 iPhones, 15% discount) for a total of 76.50. That's 5gb each line before we get throttled. With shared plans the $40 per line would not get discounted.

Overall i might pay a little less with shared data, but LTE seems to chew through data much more quickly (much faster=more browsing, video, etc) so I will see what the future brings before I fall into AT&T's little shared data trap. I blew through 250mb yesterday just browsing while on the train. It's so much faster, almost no waiting for pages to load. 4gb per month for 3 lines would definitely not be enough.

15. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

I'd consider it too!

I'm really really hesitant with giving up my unlimited, even though it's rare I use over 1.5GB a month on my iPhone 4s.

But he's even seeing it on-line, weird.

Gary

16. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

Yea but the unlimited family texting plan for $30 a month also comes with unlimited mobile to ANY mobile (regardless of carrier) minutes.

----------

I have three smartphones and a dumb phone and it still isn't anywhere close to worth it.

17. gottafly macrumors regular

Can anyone verify whether the first line is included or charged the $40 in addition to data?

I'm considering moving to shared data from unltd. and don't know how my 28% fan discount would apply. Any help would be appreciated.

18. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Has anyone had any trouble with not being able to use FaceTime over 4G because you are on a share plan? I tried early and had to call and the lady (who was chomping gum and was rude) said I would have to switch data plans and the other started at 90-99 dollars a month

19. who-dat macrumors member

how does one become a fan to get the 'fan' discount?

20. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

You need to paint your chest and buy a giant foam finger...

...or work for a company with a discount and attach your account to their discount here

21. djuzi05 macrumors regular

I have a 23% fan discount, which was only applied to the $70 for the 4GB share and that did not include a device. I was charged $40 for each of the 3 devices on my plan, which didn't have a discount.

I believe OP lucked out in error.

----------

Reset your network settings if you're on a Share plan. You should be able to activate it in your settings and Personal Hotspot also.

22. gapperonduty macrumors 6502

whao thanks OP for this thread...

I have the impression that the mobile share plan is $70 for first phone and $40 for subsequent addition...lol! :)

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I definitely get charged for the primary line in my Mobile Share:
    [​IMG]

24. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Thats exactly how mine looks as well.

25. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Yeah that has to be a mistake. I'd cancel and pay my Tmo ETF tomorrow and go get an iPhone from AT&T if true. That's only $10 more than my bill right now.