AT&T Mobile Share plan with wife, how do upgrades work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MikeTheVike, Oct 6, 2014.

1. MikeTheVike macrumors regular

I recently moved to a mobile share plan and added my wife on as a second device. We both have an iPhone 5. Our contract with At&t is up in Nov. She wants to upgrade to a iPhone 6 and I think I want to move to an iPhone 5S. I've been putting together a spreasdsheet with all plan options to figure out which is the best deal for us. So far, with the little data we have shared(2GB), the 2-year contract option is the cheapest because we can pay the subsidized phone prices with gift cards and our trade-in phone values.

The part that is confusing me is how upgrade works now that we are on 1 plan. If we sign a 2-year contract and she upgrades to an iPhone 6, what does that mean for me? Can I also upgrade my phone with the subsidized price? I guess I'm confused because I just moved to mobile share(haven't received a new bill yet) and it seems like we only have 1 plan with 2 phones on it. So if we upgrade that plan, does that mean I can only upgrade one phone? And if I can upgrade more than 1 phone, do I have to do it at the same time? or can I upgrade months later and get the subsidized price? Thanks for any clarification!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Each line has its own contract and they can be upgraded independently of each other.

3. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Just remember that if you take the 2 year agreement, you lose the $15/mo. discount you receive.

4. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

----------

Yea, I have a spreadsheet I've been working on that has almost every plan combo and how much it will cost me iver a 2-year time span. I still ahve a few more options to go, but we are using 2GB shared right now and it is about $1000 less per year for us.