AT&T 'Moderate' Coverage

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Do I have any chance of being able to make calls somewhere that the AT&T coverage map shows as moderate on an iPhone 4S? I'm talking about Polk County Florida as well.

/user/me

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Do I have any chance of being able to make calls somewhere that the AT&T coverage map shows as moderate on an iPhone 4S? I'm talking about Polk County Florida as well.
It says that I'm in moderate coverage, and i'm receiving a 3g signal at -65dB, so I think you'll be fine.

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
ATT gives you 30 days to try out service before being locked into a contract, so try it out!

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
ATT gives you 30 days to try out service before being locked into a contract, so try it out!
Haha not much use for me. I'll be staying there for 3 weeks on holiday. I just want to know which carrier to pick and if I'm not going to get coverage there then no AT&T

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Haha not much use for me. I'll be staying there for 3 weeks on holiday. I just want to know which carrier to pick and if I'm not going to get coverage there then no AT&T
That would make your only other option T-Mobile, which doesn't support 3G for iPhones. EDGE only. :(

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
That would make your only other option T-Mobile, which doesn't support 3G for iPhones. EDGE only. :(
That doesn't matter. I'd prefer AT&T but aslong as I can make calls. I just hoped someone would have had experience with coverage there. The data shows 4G and the place is only just in moderate coverage. The zip code is 338979529

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Yep, I'm quite impressed with my service here. I can make a phone call and pull data in my basement. Couldn't do that with sprint. ;)
I guess these coverage maps should be taken with a grain of salt. On my network it says I should have no service where I live indoors and only 2G outdoors. I actually get 3 bars of 3G indoors.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Rootmetrics claims that cell coverage is good for all major US carriers.

You might want to download the RootMetrics app if it's available in your app store, or check them out online. They take measurements from actual iPhone users that have the app and run tests, so it's about as accurate as you can get.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Buy from an official ATT store. Go to FLorida. If there is no coverage, you can return to an official ATT store and go your merry way. Less convenient, but I think the point is that nobody, unless they happen to live thare or visit there regularly, is going to be able to give you a difinitive "yes". I live where there is supposed to be wonderful coverage and there are still some bad spots here and there. Has been this way with every company I have ever used, some worse than most, over the past ten years.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have awesome coverage with Verizon but not really impressed with there 3G speeds. Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

I liked AT&T for there 3G but I had poor coverage more often then not.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
I have awesome coverage with Verizon but not really impressed with there 3G speeds. Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

I liked AT&T for there 3G but I had poor coverage more often then not.
We can never win lol

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I guess these coverage maps should be taken with a grain of salt.
Consider how the maps are generated. It's not like the Verizon commercials. They don't test every point in the real world. Coverage maps can't account for everything in the real world that can affect coverage. I've lived in "good" areas with no usable signal outdoors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.