AT&T 'Moderate' Coverage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by reclusive46, Jan 19, 2012.

1. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Do I have any chance of being able to make calls somewhere that the AT&T coverage map shows as moderate on an iPhone 4S? I'm talking about Polk County Florida as well.

2. /user/me macrumors 6502

It says that I'm in moderate coverage, and i'm receiving a 3g signal at -65dB, so I think you'll be fine.

3. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

ATT gives you 30 days to try out service before being locked into a contract, so try it out!

4. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Haha not much use for me. I'll be staying there for 3 weeks on holiday. I just want to know which carrier to pick and if I'm not going to get coverage there then no AT&T

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's actually fantastic coverage. Right around five bars.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

That would make your only other option T-Mobile, which doesn't support 3G for iPhones. EDGE only. :(

7. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

That doesn't matter. I'd prefer AT&T but aslong as I can make calls. I just hoped someone would have had experience with coverage there. The data shows 4G and the place is only just in moderate coverage. The zip code is 338979529

8. /user/me macrumors 6502

Yep, I'm quite impressed with my service here. I can make a phone call and pull data in my basement. Couldn't do that with sprint. ;)

9. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I guess these coverage maps should be taken with a grain of salt. On my network it says I should have no service where I live indoors and only 2G outdoors. I actually get 3 bars of 3G indoors.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

First looked at this and was like wtf :p
    Then I realized that you included the last 4 digits which people rarely do. :)

Orlando-ish? AT&T works very well in Orlando. I go there a few times a year.

11. facke02 macrumors newbie

I live in Orlando and AT&T coverage is just fine... You'll have no problems.

12. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Davenport just outside Orlando

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Rootmetrics claims that cell coverage is good for all major US carriers.

You might want to download the RootMetrics app if it's available in your app store, or check them out online. They take measurements from actual iPhone users that have the app and run tests, so it's about as accurate as you can get.

14. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Buy from an official ATT store. Go to FLorida. If there is no coverage, you can return to an official ATT store and go your merry way. Less convenient, but I think the point is that nobody, unless they happen to live thare or visit there regularly, is going to be able to give you a difinitive "yes". I live where there is supposed to be wonderful coverage and there are still some bad spots here and there. Has been this way with every company I have ever used, some worse than most, over the past ten years.

15. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Ah your right looks good. How reliable does this tend to be?

16. cynics macrumors G4

I have awesome coverage with Verizon but not really impressed with there 3G speeds. Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

I liked AT&T for there 3G but I had poor coverage more often then not.

17. reclusive46 thread starter macrumors 65816

reclusive46

We can never win lol

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Consider how the maps are generated. It's not like the Verizon commercials. They don't test every point in the real world. Coverage maps can't account for everything in the real world that can affect coverage. I've lived in "good" areas with no usable signal outdoors.