AT&T - New Line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by megsalias, Sep 20, 2012.

1. megsalias macrumors regular

I have two lines that are only eligible for the early upgrade pricing. My plan was to activate 2 new lines and buy the iPhone 5's at the two-year price. I was then going to transfer the iPhones to my current lines and put 2 dumb phones on the new lines, keeping them at $9.99 a month. That way I'll have an upgrade every year.

An AT&T rep told me that their new policy is that of you activate a smartphone on a new line, you're required to keep the data plan on that line for 6 months, which would make it no longer worth it for me. This is the first I've heard of that, and I'm not sure if I believe her. Has anyone else heard that?

2. sealos macrumors regular

I doubt they could make you pay for a 6 month data plan. That is like having an ETF within an ETF. Also, what happens if you lose your iPhone and only have a dumb phone to replace it with?

If you need a link to the AT&T's ToS... here you go: https://www.att.com/shop/en/legalte...essCustomerAgreement#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

No where does it talk about the 6 month data req... only that you have to have the line open 12 or 24 months depending on the term.

Hope this helps and post back tomorrow if you do run into issues.