Carrier AT&T Next and iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lordofthereef, Aug 31, 2014.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So with Apple allowing for Next, I am not worried about whether Next will be offered for the iPhone 6; it will. But when we went in to get a phone for my mom, who is also on out plan now, they wouldn't let me do it since my wife is the main account holder. I have the ability to make changes to the account, but since Next is a line of credit, that person has to be there (came straight from the manager's mouth at the Salem, NH AT&T store).

My question is, is there a restriction from ordering online? If not, seems kind of strange, since I have all the information I would need to just go ahead with it and my wife wouldn't need to be sitting there pushing the buttons.

I guess my question is whether I will be able to use next on launch day online, since it sounds like I won't be able to buy with Next in store due to the fact my wife can't be there.

And before anyone responds with the "I don't have a crystal ball" statement, what I am simply asking is whether or not anyone has successfully been able to order a phone via Next ONLINE and not had to have been the main account holder.

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I'm switching to NEXT for the iPhone 6.

My plan is to call them and get pre-approved before the phone is available for pre-order or purchase. Want to be 100% ready to roll by then. ;)

:apple:

3. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Yes you can do next online and not be the main account holder. My husband is the main account holder and I do all of our phone things on the website. You most likely just need username and password and last four of social. I even use my own debit card to pay.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Are you asking if you can do the ordering online, I would ask you why in the world you think not? I assume you would log in under HER name, etc. Of course it would work just fine.

For example, can you tell if it is me or my wife that is typing this post?

Or maybe my brother?

5. megapopular macrumors 6502a

You can place the order online as long as you have the account information and a valid credit card.. If you can sign in to the account you can also go to the profile section and add yourself to the account as an authorized user, this will allow you to go to a corporate AT&T Wireless store and make changes after showing valid identification like a drivers license. Best luck to you!

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or hold your wife's hand and go wait in line on launch day:D

7. 1981d macrumors regular

Sounds romantic!#

8. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

You can have your spouse add to the the account for making changes on the ATT site.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Very:D
    Especially if you camp out from the night before.
    Take bathrooms runs, bring each other snacks and breakfast in between etc...

10. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Some folks didn't read... lol

Bringing the wife is not an option. (She is a manager at Best Buy and they cannot take days off for iPhone launch events because, well, you know why...)

I already have been added to the account. I can make any and all changes necesary. I was told at the AT&T store that Next is the ONLY thing that an authorized person cannot change or do on an account because they are running credit of the main line holder for the NEXT plan.

----------

No, I cannot. What I wanted to know is if anyone had experience ordered via next online and if it gave them any issues.

From the OP:

----------

I have a valid credit card, though I am unsure why I would need one? Next has no fees involved day of service. All fees are tacked onto your bill.

As mentioned in the OP I have been added to the account. I have ordered plenty of phones, just never through next. I have made alterations to the account. Actually, my wife has never done a damn thing to the account lol. When I tried to get a Next phone added, because I was not her, I was told she needed to be there. WHen I pointed out that I have been authorized, they said it didn't matter.

11. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Now this is interesting. I know online wouldn't matter, but have you tried seeing if Apple will let it go?

12. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I've not attempted anything with Apple.

The reason I know this was even an issue was because I was getting my mom a 5S via Next. I suppose I could go in and ask Apple, however I figured I would ask here to see if anyone had any similar issues.

13. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

They don't run credit for NEXT unless you're adding a new line. Upgrading via NEXT doesn't run a credit check.

14. jkel777 macrumors 6502

This. I remember seeing something like this on AT&T's site.

I'm also going to purchase the 6 with Next, but I'm upgrading my current line with it.

15. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Dunno why I would have been told that then... I suppose I can go back in and ask. It's all the same people working there.

16. ricktat macrumors 65816

If you are adding a line...even a $10 tablet on a family share plan..they need the account holder.. That makes no sense to me.

Authorized users can add NEXT to an existing line for account in good standing.

If you went in with your mom for a new line of service, then this sounds normal. If your mom was already on your account... then it doesn't.

17. ricktat macrumors 65816

Link... open all

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB424569#fbid=aXrwzP0XwQ1

Make plan updates:
    •Add a line or a device
    X X
    •Change rate plans
    X X X
    •Make updates and contract extensions
    X X X
    •Perform upgrades or swap upgrades between lines, including entering into an Installment Agreement2 or new service commitment on existing lines
    X X X
    •Add or remove features
    X X X

18. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Pretty sure approval is not an issue. Not worth the call (aggravation) in my mind.