Carrier AT&T Next for iPhone 5s or 2 year contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickprete11, Sep 14, 2013.

1. nickprete11 macrumors regular

Hello, all! I am getting the new iPhone 5s when it comes out on the 20th. I am not under an AT&T contract, and am eligible for AT&T Next or a 2 year contract. See, I get the new iPhone every year, and here my choices: either performing an AT&T Early Upgrade every year for $449 (I would sell the older iPhone to offset the cost) or do the AT&T Next program which is basically paying $27 a month and then at the end of the year I trade the phone in and pay $27 a month again for the new iPhone. What is the better plan? Thanks.

2. SluGuru macrumors regular

I was going to do ATT Next but found a cheaper option. I will take my $200 upgrade every other year but in the off year sell my iPhone for $250 and buy it outright for $400 giving me an average cost of $300 a year. It is cheaper than Next, gives me more flexibility, and is cheaper than the early upgrade which they do not always approve for everyone.

3. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

4. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

We're paying high monthly bills for a subsidized phone. Now we're going to pay $25 to $35 a month extra on top of that? Pass.

5. SluGuru macrumors regular

The criticism of ATT Next does not make any sense either. It is for people who want a new phone every year. While ATT is adding the cost of a subsidized phone in the contract, ATT Next is considerably cheaper than breaking a contract every other year. It is also less money every other year when you would need to buy a phone outright.

6. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

7. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

What I suggest is getting the 5S on 2 yr and then when the next one releases (if you want it) pay the early upgrade fee of 250 by trading in your old iPhone which will most likely resell for 300+ then pay for the rest of a new subsidy. It's just one of the ways to go about it. You might also use the 5S to get up to half off a retail priced one.

8. SluGuru macrumors regular

You save $74 in activation fees in a 13 month period actually making it cheaper in the medium term. However, ATT is being coy about being able to switch back to a 2 year contract without having to pay the extra 8 months off. It could actually be cheaper it is just unknown at this time. Much of the equation depends on how much you can sell your iPhone back for in a years time.

9. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

I also may be a bit underestimating the fact that I do not pay upgrade fees so you'd need to add that in there if your required to pay them.

10. billycuth macrumors 6502a

This. It's criminal.

11. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

12. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Exactly.

The phone still does come out to less than full price, but with the service charge it's not worth it to me.

13. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

NEXT is all about convenience, not saving money for consumers. ATT isn't going to offer a plan that would make them less profit.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Unless resale values drop significantly, there's really no point in going the Next route.

15. musicjunky macrumors regular

Thanks for the link!

16. rockitdog Suspended

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

Usually I am against government intervention and class action lawsuits.

But these next and edge programs by att and Verizon are predatory and sales associates can easily trick even average intelligence customers about the true cost of the plans.

I find next or edge to be of value to less than 1% of att or verizons customers.

This along with uping the upgrade date to full 24 months are part of master plan to decrease subsidies.

While many may claim apple to be evil. At least in the USA. Apple is soley responsible for the $199 subsidize pricing of smartphones. We all remember the days of $399 subsidized prices.

18. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

I had to come back to this thread just to ask you what phones where sold at $399 subsidized before the iPhone?

I can't remember one....

19. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

At launch in 2004, the Motorola RAZR sold for $499 on a 2 year contract from Cingular (AT&T).

20. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Wow, how soon we forget :) I was sporting a Treo 650 in those days.... Can't remember what I paid for it....

21. aneftp macrumors 68040

http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/rim-blackberry-7280-cingular/4505-6452_7-30723843-2.html

The iPhone really did change the contract pricing model of "high end" smartphones.

Like I said post paid carriers used to make a killing with profit margins with cell phones in general. But a smartphone being sold in the (3) hundred plus price range was too much for the American consumer on contract.

$199 sounds good to the American public on contract.

But carriers are their own worst enemy by the race to the number of subscribers. Most are on family plans. And subsidizing lines 2-5 isn't as profitable as line 1 which generates the most revenue.

22. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Back in that time period I remember buying a Treo 650 on eBay for about $600 lol... I think I used to change phones once a month before the iPhone.

23. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

Ikr I forgot how much phones were those days and they did 1/1000000 of the things they do now